oneil
Blocks Buttons and Tigers - Oh My
  • 2004/4/15 19:04

• oneil

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/4/14

Looked for my answer and played with things - still feel like an idiot to be asking, but here goes:

How do I create new Buttons and move them between Blocks. I am completely new to this and don't know boo about writing script/html. NICE! So, I figured out how to 'install' Modules on the defult theme, and I see that a cooresponding button is automatically created and placed in the Main Menu. Perfect. But can I take those buttons and move them to a custom made block? My little brain works on a 'drag and drop' mentality. Is there some magical Template that will automate button/page creation?

If that babble made no sense try this one on,
-How do I move an existing button from one block to another.
-How do I create a custom button that would open a blank window. By blank window i mean - when I hit the HOME button I have a blank page that I can fill with blocks. Is there an automated way to dulpicate the HOME button, i.e., create a custom button and drop it in a block with all the backend scripting done for me?

I don't know if I am missing something or if I am asking for the moon.

Everyone point and laugh at the new guy,
Oneil

Herko
Re: Blocks Buttons and Tigers - Oh My
  • 2004/4/15 20:10

• Herko

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2002/2/4 1

First of all, welcome to the worderful world of creating your own website with a script like XOOPS Here there are now stupid questions, anything goes. So there (almost) never is any pointing and laughing at anyone here.

Now about your question. If I understand correctly, you're looking for a way to create a menu of your own. Without any knowledge of HTML and basic scripting, this will be very hard and a very long explanation, that I haven't got the time for now (sorry ) It can be done, but you'll need to create a custom block with menu items using the main menu styles. Alas, php applications like XOOPS aren't very good at drag-n-drop editing (yet).

You can also try one of the menu modules, like iMenu or some of the others out there. I haven't tried any of those, as I haven't the need for this, but I have heard great things about those. Maybe someone else with the experience with a menu generating module can help you out with installing and configuring it to your liking.

Creating a new page where you can place your content is also done with modules. It depends on the type of content you want to display, what module you can use. If it is basic HTML, there are some good 'HTML wrapper' modules like tinyContent and iContent out there. If it's articles you want to display, you can use wf-sections or another article manager. If it's database text you want to display, you can use wf-channel (that's what we use for the 'All about XOOPS' section here). These modules can be found by doing a search for the modules.

Also, I recommend you look at the 'Visual introduction to XOOPS, the link can be found on the left here in the 'XOOPS Documentation' menu.

I hope this will get you started, and that other people here can add to my post and help you out more!

Herko

oneil
  • 2004/4/15 23:59

• oneil

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/4/14

Thanks Herko you rock.

This gives me direction. I realize now that I should have narrowed my question because I was asking for the moon. <g> I will tell you that I decided to use XOOPS over some other platforms based on the openess of this site and the feedback people receive. Kudos to you and your peers for trying to make it easy!!!

I printed out the 'Visual Intro' and downloaded the IMenus mod. I also intend on buying a 'Script for Idiots' book - but I would much rather have the comprehensive 'xoops for fools'. Why don't you get on that - I'll keep checking B&N.

If anyone else has comments for me - I'll take anything you got!

Thanks again for being a great partner!
Oneil

upsadaz
  • 2004/4/18 3:41

• upsadaz

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2004/2/26

Hi. I'm new too. I too feel humbled by all that I don't know. But my need to know overcomes my humility and so far I've had lots of great support.
One thing that helps me is that little, beautiful box next to the word SEARCH. I have been saved from embarrassment many a times when I have found lots of answers to my newbie questions by using the search engine on this site. I only post when for some reason I can't find it through a search.
But Herko is right... No one points and laughs (much) at us here.
Good Luck. TTYL

Login

Who's Online

240 user(s) are online (163 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 240

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits