insane
IBP with xoops
  • 2004/4/5 6:21

• insane

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/2/4 3

I think it would be very usefull to me and probably many other ppl that there is a hack for XOOPS that makes every new registered member also registered in specified IPB forum and if member is registered on a forum it is also registered for xoops. There is a mod like this for php nuke i dont think its too hard to make for ppl who know what they are doing. I hope someone develops this, thanks in advance

Herko
Re: IBP with xoops
  • 2004/4/5 6:55

• Herko

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2002/2/4 1

There is a fully integrated IPBoard module for XOOPS available at www.bbpixel.com This works very well!

Herko

domineaux
  • 2004/4/5 13:30

• domineaux

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2002/9/29

In my own case I put up a separate intall of IPB in my root. This way when IPB brings out another upgrade I'm not tied to a 3rd party (bbpixel.com) to work through compatibility issues. This way I have a separate MySql db. IPB is coming with the ver 2.0 very soon and everything for 1.3 is going to be out the window.

All you do is link to the IPB board you create and create a home link (back to Xoops) on the header of the IBP board. It works very smooth. Another feature I like about a standalone install of each is the IPB boards take the whole screen and makes viewing the forums less tedious for users. (no menu bar on the left side)

Also, you can acquire an IPB skin look for XOOPS on this site, if you'e using the IPB default skin. A separate install will look pretty seamless that way.

Koudanshi has done a good work, and I sure don't want you to think I don't respect that. I'm just making an alternative suggestion.

carnuke
  • 2004/4/5 13:58

• carnuke

• Home away from home

• Since: 2003/11/5

Quote:
I think it would be very usefull to me and probably many other ppl that there is a hack for XOOPS that makes every new registered member also registered in specified IPB forum and if member is registered on a forum it is also registered for xoops.

Thats the problem when you separte the two systems. You have to register and login twice. The ipb mod that Koudanshi has done fully intergrates XOOPS and ipb, One XOOPS login serves both the main site and the ipb forum,...but it requires changes to XOOPS core files. This is not always desirable. Domineaux's suggestion to run the two separately is a good idea for all the reasons's he said, but because they are spartate they require individual logins. What to do?

Appeal to Koudanshi to get 2 separate installations to talk to each other, or chose one of the above options

Richard

insane
  • 2004/4/5 14:12

• insane

• Just popping in

I tried the module from bbpixel but the problem is i already have a running forum and i cant redirect ipb module to that existing database so that y i was looking for this hack.

m0nty
  • 2004/4/5 15:08

• m0nty

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/10/24

Quote:
domineaux wrote:

All you do is link to the IPB board you create and create a home link (back to Xoops) on the header of the IBP board. It works very smooth. Another feature I like about a standalone install of each is the IPB boards take the whole screen and makes viewing the forums less tedious for users. (no menu bar on the left side)

You can now have this with the latest release of ipbm for XOOPS from bbpixel.

new options in admin allow you to selct which registration method u want XOOPS or ipb, you can also choose to wrap the headers and columns etc or not, so your forum will be full screen etc..

the latest release 1.4d is as stable as the standalone version and i use on my site.. I've not had any problems whatsoever since this latest release. and koudanshi is already awaiting the ipb 2.0 version and will have it converted for XOOPS not long after the final version of ipb 2 is released..

As for the importing of your old forum to work with XOOPS ipb, koudanshi has also written scripts that will convert your old forum database to ipb format.. (this doesn't delete your old forum it simply copies it & converts, so u can use both forums alongside if u wish..)

insane
  • 2004/4/6 0:25

• insane

• Just popping in

i asked about it on his forums noone answered my, ill try to find those scripts they would be very useful

djsckizo
  • 2004/4/8 14:16

• djsckizo

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2003/5/9 8

Sometimes you have to be a patient on bbpixel. It doesn't move very fast there, so it does tend to take a little time to get an answer.

m0nty
  • 2004/4/8 14:33

• m0nty

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/10/24

what forum u running already and want to convert from?

some of us here may already have the script u require so cud pass it on?

domineaux
  • 2004/4/8 17:17

• domineaux

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2002/9/29

I tried the Koudanshi IPB mod yesterday. I was trying to use the registration/login from IPB.

I ran into a myriad of problems. When I loaded the site I had the user login from Xoops. WHen I removed the XOOPS user login/block I couldn't get back into the XOOPS site to administer it. I even tried going directly mydomain/xoops/admin.php and got a message I was not authorized. Somehow the login information was an issue. I finally requested my password through email. I didn't get the password, but a link back to the site. I kept messing with it and finally got a new password assigned from the IPB or the Xoops, not sure which one. LOL

I noticed on Koudanshi's site he is using the XOOPS registration. I prefer to use the IPB registration, because it keeps out the Spam bots much better. THe graphic character entry thing really helps.

Regardless, I have backed off the Mod and gone back to a hyperlink through the Multi Menu to a standalone install of the IPB.

I hate having two logins. When I'm having issues with the registrations and logins, and I'm the site builder...I've found my users will not even take the time to send an email complaint.

I think I will try it again. I have found things that get messed up are sometimes my own fault. LOL

Occassionally, that's not the case.

Login

Who's Online

257 user(s) are online (154 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 257

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits