Slicer
Thank You for opening my eyes!
  • 2004/4/2 2:31

• Slicer

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/12/6

I have certainly been hanging around here for too long.
I have been using XOOPS for about 9 months now. I have seen some disturbing changes in the community. The developement team is totally wasting a great resource -- the community. There are many talented programmers, debuggers, users and visionaries using this bullentin board. As a community we could solve any problem and take XOOPS to any level. Talented contributors solve annoying problems, add much needed features and offer great help to new users. But what happens to them? Herko, Mithandir, Preadator and others stand in the way of progress. This heirachy is the way programming was done in the 1970's. Each person carving out their own little niche and as a result create nothing. All I see is promises. When we get a release it is more likely to give you a blank page rather than a new feature. I haven't see any thing new since I've been here. Let's face it all modules are simply database queries poorly displayed.
This is not my idea of an April fools joke but a wake call the the developers.

Stewdio
Re: Thank You for opening my eyes!
  • 2004/4/2 3:16

• Stewdio

• Community Support Member

• Since: 2003/5/7 1

I have been a member of XOOPS for 10 months, just one month longer then you. I must be missing something. I have seen rapid growth, incredible support and above par communication to the community at large. I am no different then you, and end user who is more then satisified and impressed. Most of the changes made here on the forums have been released or on the to do list. Module makers that stand out in the community are now forming and producing outstnding results (http://dev.xoops.org/).

The people you mentioned are project leaders, the community is the rest of the team and we have been acknowledged time and time again.

The team is much larger then you have portrayed. Your rhetoric is the first I have ever seen on these boards and serve to damage your reputation more then it served to damage the rest of this community. Wasted resource? If you have been to these boards everyday, you would know that the team scoops up every single person they can who offers possitive growth to the project with their bug fixes, module development and community interaction. Please don't go on the offensive without proper backup.

If you havn't seen prgress then get the latest CVS (https://xoops.org/general/cvs.php) and install it. You won't recognise Xoops. Your blank pages are fixable and in most cases are the module developers fault, not the other way around. If you really have been on the forums as often as you say, then you would know that a new standardisation procedure is in the works for all module development. We are a growing community, along with this project.

It is your comments that stand in the way of progress sir. You have done us all a huge dis-service.

You are always free to contribute with constructive critisism; I see nothing productive in your comments at all.

The Community IS the project!

Chainsaw
  • 2004/4/2 3:17

• Chainsaw

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2003/9/28

Gee what planet are you from?

Oh let me guess.. Planet TROLL?

From what I can see the XOOPS developers are head and shoulder above any other CMS I have used before. In fact it is probably listed high in my Open Source project team list.

XOOPS is well designed, well organised and well runned.

If you are dis-enchanted I am sure there are more robust CMS that you could use like phpNuke etc.

I'm sure there are others who support my views.

marcan
  • 2004/4/2 3:31

• marcan

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2003/10/8

Hi Slicer,

I must answer your post... I have to say I find your post not really constructive.

Why complain when you can instead find solutions to solve the problems you see ?

Quote:
erko, Mithandir, Preadator and others stand in the way of progress.
I think you're going a bit far here... Please keep in mind that users of this community as well as team members, work for XOOPS on their free time. It is badly rewarding them to say such things...

Quote:
When we get a release it is more likely to give you a blank page rather than a new feature.
I'm pretty sure there is a lot of people that do not agree with you. XOOPS seems to be the easiest CMS on the market and the one that is more likely to work the first time, just out of the box...

Quote:
I haven't see any thing new since I've been here
You said it yourself, you've been around for 9 months. Version 2 has just celebrate its first birthday. Devs are working on the next version that seems really promissing ! Give us time my friend !

Quote:
Let's face it all modules are simply database queries poorly displayed
Again your pushing it... It is a really simplist analysis of XOOPS modules...

Finally, If you see problems, find solutions, fight for them and change things !!! What have you got to offer other than (please pardon me...) cheep affirmations !

We all work for what we think is the best CMS. We do what we can, with the knowledge we have, with the only remuneration of the feeling of giving something back to the community. When we read posts like yours, it is hard not to feel some frustration.

Please, be more constructive next time

marcan
  • 2004/4/2 3:34

• marcan

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2003/10/8

I'm happy to see that others are reacting to this post !!!

Few.... I'm not alone thinking what I think !

Stewdio
  • 2004/4/2 3:43

• Stewdio

hehe, took you a while to type it out 'eh? Do what I do, open 'home' in a new window before posting

This 'conversation' is pretty much dead in it's own tracks, let it fall below the rest of the posts without the justification of a reply.

Everything that needs to be said has been said already and we don't need to brow beat the guy any more then we already have for voicing himself. It happens

Quote:

marcan wrote:
I'm happy to see that others are reacting to this post !!!

Few.... I'm not alone thinking what I think !

Draven
  • 2004/4/2 3:47

• Draven

• Module Developer

• Since: 2003/5/28

Quote:

Slicer wrote:
Herko, Mithandir, Preadator and others stand in the way of progress.

Damn, I didn't even get an honerable mention.

If really want to help out on the develoment why not go to the dev site? These forums are for support of the product, the dev site is for development discussions.

http://dev.xoops.org

Slicer
  • 2004/4/2 3:49

• Slicer

• Just popping in

I meant to make this thread a post in this thresd and as such is taken out of context. https://xoops.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=18336&forum=23&post_id=77769#forumpost77769

Check out the competition and quit blowing your own ass full of smoke.

Stewdio
  • 2004/4/2 3:51

• Stewdio

Well don't blame us if you missposted! LOL

Yeah, posting it alone leaves it WAY out of context! If I saw that following the post you are now pointing too, I would have left the smoke up my ass...

Sheesh!!

*edit*
Big time WOOPS on my part, please forgive the knee jerk protective statements I made

I see what your refering to and it changes everything complety. If I could only take back my words! (Sure I could edit, but that would just be wrong!)

Slicer
  • 2004/4/2 5:37

• Slicer

• Just popping in

Well everyone had a chance to take a cheap shot at me but what about the issues they still exist.

I would think it a compliment to be left out of the list of offenders Draven. I consider you one of the good guys. You dont post just to have your picture on the side.

Cant say the same about the Bin Laden look alike.

Login

Who's Online

158 user(s) are online (72 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 158

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits