Anonymous
WAI, CSS and XHTML
  • 2004/4/2 1:22

• Anonymous

• Since:

I haven't seen any discussions on this recently so let me start it hear.

Most CMS systems are moving toward valid CSS, valid XHTML, and section 508/WAI compliance.

I think this would be the right move for XOOPS as well. Is anyone working on this? Is this in the roadmap anywhere?

-d

Some examples of what's going on in other parts of the CMS world:

1) Mambo is moving toward valid CSS, XHTML and section 508/WAI compliance.http://xmambo.electricjet.com/content/view/9/36

2) Plone has done this already:http://plone.org/

3) ezPublish has been doing this:http://ez.no/community/forum/suggestions/the_administration_interface_project/re_the_administration_interface_project__7

4) Midgard CMS already has it:http://www.midgard-project.org/cms/

5) Drupal is going there:http://drupal.org/node/view/5837

So where does XOOPS stand on this issue?

brash
Re: WAI, CSS and XHTML
  • 2004/4/2 1:31

• brash

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/4/10

I totally agree with this as being a goal to work towards, and think it has been covered in the roadmap. The big problem is that because everyone is able to create their own modules and templates, not all of these are going to be valid. I think the roadmap included the decomissioning of core modules, and instead there would be a list of recommended modules & templates which would (among other things) comply with these standards. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong with this.

Stewdio
  • 2004/4/2 3:39

• Stewdio

• Community Support Member

• Since: 2003/5/7 1

I think your pretty close on the mark Brash. Once things are packaged a little differently, it will be easier to ensure compliance. As it is right now, each modules output is different and most do not comply with XHTML. You can get luck on CSS, like I did. I'm not willing to dump a module because it's not compliant, I rely to heavily on it.

I would however like to see more focus on this from other module developers in the future, and possibly have a 'clean up' crew on the module submission team to either clean and conform it themselves, or reject those that do not conform, or offer a conditional release of some sort.

It could go a few different ways. Good point, good post. Looking forward to seeing more in this area.

Draven
  • 2004/4/2 3:52

• Draven

• Module Developer

• Since: 2003/5/28

I said it in the other thread and I'll say it here, such discussions are being held at dev.xoops.org. Do not think these topics are not being heavily discussed. If you wish to have discussions about them here then by all means do, we read these forums as well. But just because we haven't posted here with a solution doesn't mean it's not in the works.

One of the things the Quality COntrol team will be doing is giving modules a "Seal of Approval" for modules that meet the guidelines set for module development, this will include being compliant in CSS, XHTML and other things.

brash
  • 2004/4/2 4:20

• brash

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/4/10

Thanks for the verification Stewdio and Draven. I knew this was being addressed, just wasn't 100% sure on how.

studioC
  • 2004/4/2 10:34

• studioC

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/12/7

@dyoo78,

be sure, theres more than a small discussion, the last 6 month i do nothing different than working out this topic within xoops, perhaps small steps, but as always, try doing my best...

michael

Mithrandir

CSS and XHTML is something we should look at when making modules, but it is hard for XOOPS to promise compliance. One thing I have learned in dealing with XOOPS is that it is better to make promises you can keep than promise too much just to make you look better.
I am happy to see that XOOPS does that.
It may be frustrating to get vague replies to enquiries, but at least XOOPS is consistent.

When it comes to section 508, we are talking a completely new language. One of the main (technical) things are that images and links should have alternate and meaningful text - and how do you from the CMS side ensure that? I have no answer to that question apart from the fact that the CMS can cater for this by supplying tools, which can be used in modules to ease compliance.

Promising compliance with section 508 is futile IMO as there are so many things to comply with, which relate to the content - most of which is beyond the control of the CMS product.

Anonymous
  • 2004/4/3 0:15

• Anonymous

• Since:

Quote:
When it comes to section 508, we are talking a completely new language. One of the main (technical) things are that images and links should have alternate and meaningful text - and how do you from the CMS side ensure that? I have no answer to that question apart from the fact that the CMS can cater for this by supplying tools, which can be used in modules to ease compliance.

All we need is a simple module that allows the admin to track different parts of the XOOPS directory for pictures. The module should have a little description box and ties together the picture with the text (alt text).

This way, the admin just makes sure that every picture has a description. Once open sourced, developers can keep adding onto the functionalities.

Login

Who's Online

91 user(s) are online (52 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 91

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits