chrisp
4 reasons why the Download module needs serious work
  • 2004/3/30 2:26

• chrisp

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/3/29

The mydownload module needs some serious work.. it's 90 percent useless. I'm not here to talk crap about xoops, it's good software, and I appreciate those
programmers who take their time in developing such a good program.. but you guys do have forums on your site to tell you our opinion.. and here's something to think
about in your next version..

I'll tell you why the downloads area needs work..

1.) Every time I try to add a download, I get the error.. "This download is already in the database"
Ok, it's nice for the database to tell me that this download is already in the database, but to tell
you the truth, it's not. Maybe because I didn't enter a url, or the title is the same, or something similar, it won't let me add it..

maybe a link that says.. "add it anyways"

2.) So, in order for me to make a new download, I have to make a new download by putting in odd characters like adsfasdf in every field..
then I have to edit the download.. but.........

3.) In order for me to modify a download, I have to go all the way back to my download section on my home page, and find the "id number"
It was nice to be able to modify news without having to look up a id number..

4.) so a 1 minute process.. takes 5.. :)

Stewdio
Re: 4 reasons why the Download module needs serious work
  • 2004/3/30 3:01

• Stewdio

• Community Support Member

• Since: 2003/5/7 1

I appreciate your discontent with the module. Sharing experiences is what drive's this community forward and yours are no less important.

Since you have so graciously told us what you don't like about the module, do you have any constructive suggestions or ideas on how you would like to see the module improved?

Be creative!

There are a great number of talented people here who might be interested in what you have to say

brash
  • 2004/3/30 3:23

• brash

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/4/10

1) Assuming a fully functioning and correctly configured XOOPS site, for the most part I see this problem as being a user error more than a problem with Xoops. Why would you want to have multiple instances of the same download anyway?

2) Again along the same track as point 1. If XOOPS is returning a error that "This download is already in the database", then either there is a problem with you XOOPS envirnment if the download doesn't actually exist, or if the download does already exist in which case XOOPS is functioning correctly. It makes no sense to want to have to identical downloads, and it would be a definate step back if XOOPS allowed this.

3) This is a valid point, and one I'd like to see addressed to. As you say, an easier modifying system such as how you edit news items would be a very welcome addition to the downloads module.

4) Valid to a point, but learn the software and it'll do great things for you. It the same with everything in life, there is a learning curve that is different for everything and everyone.

So instead of the downloads module being 90% useless, I'd say it's more like you need to learn how to drive it 80% better

Maracas
  • 2004/3/30 4:42

• Maracas

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/2/18

I've never experienced (1) and (2), but I am completely with you on (3). Modifying by ID numbers is a bit taxing at times.

MadFish
  • 2004/3/30 6:20

• MadFish

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/9/27

Quote:
it's 90 percent useless.

Hmmm...I think its 90% good stuff and maybe 10% could be improved We distribute a *lot* of free publications very happily with this module. There was a thread a couple of days ago which said a new improved version is very close to release.

Quote:
Every time I try to add a download, I get the error.. "This download is already in the database"...Maybe because I didn't enter a url...it won't let me add it...

I've had a similar problem when I've forgotten to enter the URL. If you forget, I think it enters 'http://'. Since URLs have to unique it will only let you do this once ! So, it is probably easier to upload your file first, then enter the description + valid URL at the same time.

Quote:
In order for me to modify a download, I have to go all the way back to my download section on my home page, and find the "id number

You can edit the download directly from the user side by clicking on that little red logo next to the title...I don't know what it's called, this thing:
Resized Image

You still have to go way back to the myDownloads section, but you don't need to get the ID number or make the return trip If you know what you are looking for its pretty easy to pull it up with search, then modify it directly.

Login

Who's Online

177 user(s) are online (113 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 177

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits