domineaux
A thread of mods and themes considered capable
  • 2004/3/22 19:15

• domineaux

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2002/9/29

This is a category we've needed for awhile.

It will be nice to compare notes with other users about specific modules, themes and hacks.

My experience has been trying and finally quitting in frustration on so many ancillary software items that were designed to work with Xoops.

Language has been a barrier in a lot of cases, but the biggest issue has always been the persistent beta releases.

I no longer install any beta release of anything, on working sites. I sometimes try them on my local server, but generally beta is what they are.

I'm not trying to rag on anyone here. This category will be good for comments on all of Xoops.

Stewdio
Re: A thread of mods and themes considered capable
  • 2004/3/22 19:27

• Stewdio

• Community Support Member

• Since: 2003/5/7 1

Very much needed and welcomed!

My site (such as it is) runs on very little modules for the very same reason. I have loads of content but have yet been able to find an equitable way to display it properly or develop it further.

Sharing module experiences in one place is the way to go, thanks Herko!

TedERux
  • 2004/3/24 2:56

• TedERux

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/3/18

So let me not misunderstand this thread.... For each individual module we will simply start a topic on it, and everyone reply with their knowledge until we have it explained completely? If not please edit or remove this post ;)

We needed a way for our members to upload/download files for 'collabrative' reasons. The problem is we only had 1 FTP account...The admin account, needless to say we can't give that out to all our members. After much searching and some great help we found the UPLOADER module.

It took a little adjusting but works perfectly, all private members can upload files from their computer to our designated /file/ folder. After the file is uploaded all registered members of the site can view and download these files. Nobody has access outside of the single /file/ folder. Only admins can delete the files once posted.

Another great feature of the module is an 'auto-pruning' to keep your web space in check. It is working great users can even give a rating on the files they download.

During installation adjust in the config.php file your needed settings, for upload size limit we set ours to 99mb. Also the most important thing to consider when installing is that your designated shared folder has at least a 755 permission setting on the host, we use a 777 setting to be sure. The path needs to be proper as well. Without the path you will get your beautiful white blank page.

I wish everyone the best of luck in your searches and hope this reviews helps out a few. :)

auctmore
  • 2004/5/10 15:02

• auctmore

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/5/8 2

How about one or more online sandboxes where anyone can become an admin and play with Xoops, its themes, its modules and all its features? Amongst others phpWebSite has got such a playground. It is reset to a default state every hour on the hour. Surely it must be possible to set that up for XOOPS too.

Mithrandir

Quote:

auctmore wrote:
How about one or more online sandboxes where anyone can become an admin and play with Xoops, its themes, its modules and all its features? Amongst others phpWebSite has got such a playground. It is reset to a default state every hour on the hour. Surely it must be possible to set that up for XOOPS too.

This has come up recently and I think some of the Top Folks(tm) are looking into that

Until then we have OpensourceCMS.com

Login

Who's Online

127 user(s) are online (77 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 127

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits