cmsguy
Accessing $XOOPS Variables In Custom Blocks
  • 2004/3/9 6:15

• cmsguy

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/3/3 2

Can I create a custom block that includes various variables such as ${xoops_url} and so on?

I am having trouble doing this. Is it because custom blocks are not system blocks?

Thanks.

hsalazar
Re: Accessing $XOOPS Variables In Custom Blocks
  • 2004/3/9 6:37

• hsalazar

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/2/6 1

cmsguy:

You can. Just have in mind that when writing a custom block, you're coding in PHP. This means that instead of having variables such as <{$xoops_url}> (please notice the dollar sign is inside the curly brackets), you should use variables such as XOOPS_ROOT_PATH. For instance:

$something = XOOPS_ROOT_PATH."/modules/name/index.php?id=".$var;

Cheers.

cmsguy
  • 2004/3/9 7:49

• cmsguy

• Just popping in

Thanks for the tip. I understand mostly.

How could I access language the same way the main menu does?

MAIN MENU SYSTEM BLOCK

<td id="mainmenu">
<a class="menuTop" href="<{$xoops_url}>/"><{$block.lang_home}></a>
<!-- start module menu loop -->
<{foreach item=module from=$block.modules}>
<a class="menuMain" href="<{$xoops_url}>/modules/<{$module.directory}>/"><{$module.name}></a>
<{foreach item=sublink from=$module.sublinks}>
<a class="menuSub" href="<{$sublink.url}>"><{$sublink.name}></a>
<{/foreach}>
<{/foreach}>

COULD I ACCESS ALL OF THESE VARIABLES IN A CUSTOM BLOCK?

Thanks again.

Herko
  • 2004/3/9 8:25

• Herko

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2002/2/4 1

In short: no. As you see, some of these vatiables, are specific to this main menu block. Thus, they cannot be called in another block.

<{$xoopsurl}> is a site wide smarty variable, but a custom block made through the block admin page is not a smarty template. You cannot use those Smarty variables in that custom block. You can add php code however, and HTML.

Horacio meant that when you're creating a real custom block, and add it to the module you want to use it in, you'll have to create a new PHP file with the block generation and moderation code, the xoops_version.php file (defining the block), and the template file. In that template file you can use Smarty variables.

So, basically, there are two options: a basic one with the blocks admin page, where you can use the XOOPS_URL variable as Horacio described, or your own php code, or you have the more advanced option, where you actually code a full complete new block and add it to a module (thus extending the existing module).

Herko

Sm0ka
  • 2004/3/9 8:52

• Sm0ka

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/12/25

hmmm... wouldn't it be great if there was a file with the smarty variables and their correspondents in block allowed variables? Or maybe open up a wiki for this?
Just an idea as it would be good for us rookies to access this on a simple way.

cmsguy
  • 2004/3/12 4:51

• cmsguy

• Just popping in

I tried your second suggestion by adding a new module with it's own block. The new module and block is based on the sample_module available withn the forum. I added the following main menu code to the sample_filename.html file under the sample_module/template/block directory. It did not work probably because the new module and block do not have access to the MAIN MENU smarty variables (I am assuming this! )such as $xoops_url, $block.lang.home etc ...

MAIN MENU SYSTEM BLOCK

<td id="mainmenu">
<a class="menuTop" href="<{$xoops_url}>/"><{$block.lang_home}></a>
<!-- start module menu loop -->
<{foreach item=module from=$block.modules}>
<a class="menuMain" href="<{$xoops_url}>/modules/<{$module.directory}>/"><{$module.name}></a>
<{foreach item=sublink from=$module.sublinks}>
<a class="menuSub" href="<{$sublink.url}>"><{$sublink.name}></a>
<{/foreach}>
<{/foreach}>

I AM OBVIOUSLY MISSING A CONCEPT HERE!

Will my new main menu block only work if I add it to the system module?

If so, does this mean I would have to redefine these smarty variable in my new module?

How can I create a new module and associated block and have them be able to access the system smarty common variables?

Confused, but thankful for any help.

Login

Who's Online

268 user(s) are online (176 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 268

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits