jeffgr
How to hack back into site?!?
  • 2004/3/9 4:20

• jeffgr

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2004/2/22

Hi there,

Well, I really $%^@#&! my site! Now all I get is blank pages everywhere...I can't login, I can't access the admin page etc. I think it got messed up when I was in the Admin>Preferences section, and I changed the "update from module template" option back to "no" (it had been on "yes" and was working fine).

How do I hack back into the admin section of my site to change the above option back to "yes"? Is there a utility script for XOOPS like there is for postnuke? (called the "swiss army knife").

Any ideas you have would be most appreciated! Otherwise, what should I do to save all the data on my site... (for a clean install)..back up the module, theme folders etc?

Thanks,

Jeff

svaha
Re: How to hack back into site?!?
  • 2004/3/9 8:12

• svaha

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2003/8/2 2

Hi Jeff,
maybe first look at your templates_c directory. Delete the files inside the directory with exception of index file.
And check the permission of the directory (should be 777)
While your at it, maybe also check permission of cache directory

Backup of your files on the server can be done the way you uploaded them, so with a ftp program, or maybe with a backup utility of your host.

Backup of the database can be done with phpadmin that's also on most hosts cpanel.

Aloha

mouacy
  • 2004/3/9 8:38

• mouacy

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2002/11/2

Shoo!!! My news articles and users have been wiped out! Including my forum posts and private messages...

Need more security!

Sm0ka
  • 2004/3/9 8:48

• Sm0ka

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/12/25

Quote:

Need more security!

I have to disagree. If you want to prevent nasty surprises, be carefull who you give admin rights to. All vulns i've known about regard modules and NOT XOOPS itself.

Plus, XOOPS is waaaaaay better than php/post-nuke, were you can find XSS vulns almosst every day

/edit

have you tried accessing you admin page directly? as inhttp://your_site.com/admin.php ?

mouacy
  • 2004/3/9 9:08

• mouacy

• Not too shy to talk

Quote:

Sm0ka wrote:

Plus, XOOPS is waaaaaay better than php/post-nuke, were you can find XSS vulns almosst every day

/edit

have you tried accessing you admin page directly? as inhttp://your_site.com/admin.php ?

I can't access admin anymore. all user accounts are gone including my admin account.

What modules could have been the causes?

Herko
  • 2004/3/9 9:08

• Herko

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2002/2/4 1

If your users are wiped out, then your database has been compromised. It may even be that it has been corrupted. Check with your hosting provider for a backup. XOOPS can't corrupt database tables by itself...

Herko

mouacy
  • 2004/3/9 9:14

• mouacy

• Not too shy to talk

Quote:

Herko Coomans wrote:
If your users are wiped out, then your database has been compromised. It may even be that it has been corrupted. Check with your hosting provider for a backup. XOOPS can't corrupt database tables by itself...

Herko

They have backup for the entire server and they won't restore client web site. That's not good. But I have offline backup of 36 MB sql file and I don't know how to restore that through phpmyadmin.. it will take forever. Is there a way I can restore that without having to cut it into small chunks?

Sm0ka
  • 2004/3/9 9:18

• Sm0ka

• Just popping in

I would also sugest you using module backup to backup your sql database. I think you can also do this via phpmyadmin... this way next time your database is corrupted you can simple dump all in your table and upload the good saved sql.

Sm0ka
  • 2004/3/9 9:26

• Sm0ka

• Just popping in

I guess that if you dump all your tables, create a new data base (same name as the one you used before) , and then fill it up with your .sql file everything should be ok, and i although 36mb is a big sql file i dont see why you have to cut it, unless your server as some sort of operation time out thingy...

mouacy
  • 2004/3/9 9:27

• mouacy

• Not too shy to talk

Thanks you guys! My hosting provider will import my sql file for me so I hope they will do it. If it's done correctly, I should have my community online again with the older database.

Login

Who's Online

220 user(s) are online (118 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 220

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits