kaliman
a dinamyc menu on top and a single block to show content
  • 2004/2/26 15:51

• kaliman

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2003/12/17

Hi
I would like to know if it is possible to change the layout of the templates in the following way:

Resized Image

a) the heather would be the same:
b) the menu (orange) to be a dynamycally created menu. Just in the same way the menus are creates in the left/right colums, but now this would be created as menus and submenus in the top.
c) been able to remove the left or rigth colums and create full single pages in the content area (green).

This would make very flexible the designing of the XOOPS lay out. Many web designs that cannot fit in the 3 colum scheme would benefit from the wonders of xoops. I know this is not a simple task, but it is better to ask

By the way "forum" in the image is just an example.

Have a nice day.

aubrey
Re: a dinamyc menu on top and a single block to show content
  • 2004/2/26 19:13

• aubrey

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/2/1 2

I think this Post is very similar to My Post, in which I am trying to do the same basic thing.

See GiJoe's Site For the code to do a horizontal menu with dynamic sublinks,
and See My Site for another example of it being done.

Now that you have the Main Menu showing up in the top of your page, turn off the block from the admin panel and you're set!

-Aubrey

hsalazar
  • 2004/2/26 20:18

• hsalazar

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/2/6 1

Kaliman:

Please take a look at this.

Sample dynamic horizontal menu

This I did by hand using Tigra Menu (and still I'm unsure about its display in a Mac). I talked to one of the menu's developers, and they graciously donated XOOPS a custom developed version, so now we have a Tigra Menu for XOOPS.

After that, Naish's team (look here to see a sample implementation) has built a XOOPS module that's actually a menu generator. This module includes plugins for different kinds of files, and one of these plugins is for Tigra Menu, so the module creates an XML file with the links hierarchy, and Tigra Menu reads this file and uses it to create and display the menu.

To sum this up, let's say that the menu given to the XOOPS community plus the module developed by Naish will together provide end users an easy configuration of dynamic menus. Please be aware that this dynamism IS different from the one presently offered by XOOPS native menus.

Naish is making the module ready for release, and it probably won't be long before it is made generally available. That's my hope, at least.

For the moment, then, the answer to your questions is: yes, its feasible, though not quite yet (unless it's done by hand). Soon we'll all have this choice at hand.

Cheers.

wcrwcr
  • 2004/2/27 3:44

• wcrwcr

• Home away from home

• Since: 2003/12/12

I like very much your menu demo at puntoflotoasnte.
Do you ha any idea about the day in which this module will be released?
Thanks

hsalazar
  • 2004/2/27 6:38

• hsalazar

• Just popping in

wcrwcr:

Sorry, that's something completely out of my control. I know Naish's team will try to do it real soon.

Cheers.

DobePhat
  • 2004/2/27 6:39

• DobePhat

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/4/15

good job salazar,

Nice demo. I like it, thats a static page though right?

It's a pretty standard script you can find in most oopen source propegated script sharing sites...
I've been working on a similar menu system...

THe problem I am having is integrating it into XOOPS theme.html. Also...the z index (I guess) if the sub menu is over any sort of Form element....then the form element..."pos through". Dont know if that makes any sense or not...but I either need to clean up my code or look at some others...

Also, absolute positioning: should be ok whith netscape 7.1 and Mozilla...but the real trick is to have th .js files be small as possible...there is so much in a XOOPS generated page already... so Im curious how we can go about it with the best optimization.

We should have one on our site up by next week.
Look forward to this development though...it's been a real pain to configure!

p.s: I just noticed you have a menu_tpl.js?
So that makes three scripts...for one menu system, then we have the XOOPS .Js and whatever else...hmmmm
Maybe I do need a third one? But a t what cost as far as speed?

hsalazar
  • 2004/2/27 7:07

• hsalazar

• Just popping in

DobePhat:

I can tell you this: I've seen most of the free DHTML menus available, as well as some commercial ones, trying to find the Holy Grail of dynamic menus, without success. Tigra's menus are among the best I've found, and they're also very low-priced. There's a free version of their menu that is good enough for most applications, and they do have a Pro and a Gold version, each with its own pros and cons.

What I asked from them was an extension of the capabilities of the free menu, and they accepted and sent me a TigraMenu4Xoops for free. This menu is the basis of the one in the example site.

All menus have problems with forms. One of Tigra's has a way around this problem, I think the Gold one. Most of the display and positioning problems are minimal with this product.

And about the .js files, I do know there's already too much fat in XOOPS's pages to add more and more. The menu they sent me uses THREE .js files, but they ARE lean: 3, 1 and 1 kb.

Let's see when this is ready, and then we'll all have better ground to decide for or against, but I'm sure for many this will be a nice choice.

Cheers.

carnuke
  • 2004/2/27 7:49

• carnuke

• Home away from home

• Since: 2003/11/5

You may lke to look at Varlinux.org .I have found npetrely very helpful with answering questions about XOOPS issues, he may tell you about the menu system he uses on his site here

Richard

kaliman
  • 2004/2/27 14:23

• kaliman

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2003/12/17

Thanks!
Im glad it will be possible

DobePhat
  • 2004/2/27 16:27

• DobePhat

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/4/15

Salazar:
Quote:
What I asked from them was an extension of the capabilities of the free menu, and they accepted and sent me a TigraMenu4Xoops for free.

Thats VERY cool....
That is some lean scriptage you are talking about you got going on there...
Mind if I take a look at it...(if I get from that example site?).

Thanks as always!

Login

Who's Online

156 user(s) are online (105 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 156

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits