dheltzel
Is there a list of modules with descriptions?
  • 2004/1/24 0:50

• dheltzel

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2003/1/8 1

Something I can browse or search to see what people have already written?

I looked at the list of available modules on SourceForge and they look interesting, but I can't figure out what many of them do. Are there any descriptions, or must I install each one and try it to see if it's useful for my site.

Am I just not looking hard enough for docs on these modules?

Dennis

Chainsaw
Re: Is there a list of modules with descriptions?
  • 2004/1/24 0:53

• Chainsaw

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2003/9/28

On the left side of this forum is an option called - Download. Each of the downloadable files have a description re what it does.

dheltzel
  • 2004/1/24 1:02

• dheltzel

• Not too shy to talk

Thanks!
Is that the complete list ? Are there other module people have written but not put here? I'm trying to avoid as much work as possible, and would like to find and try all the modules that are close to what I'm trying to build, then just add any needed features to the existing code.

Dennis

Chainsaw
  • 2004/1/24 1:11

• Chainsaw

• Quite a regular

From experience with XOOPS (and its a very short experince I gotta tell ya), most of the modules are listed there.

The few times I couldn't find the module I wanted I do an advance search on Forum with the keyword. And usually I find the one I want.

On other times I couldn't find one, I post on this forum and usually within a day (sometimes within minutes - which is mint considering I'm in New Zealand and the rest of the world are on the opposite hemisphere) someone will post an answer.

All I can say is, if you don't know, ask. The folks here looks pretty friendly (well 99.9% of them anyway).

djsckizo
  • 2004/1/24 2:25

• djsckizo

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2003/5/9 8

Go to the sourceforge page for XOOPS and look at the list of modules they have. Tons of them don't see to have descriptions though.

MadFish
  • 2004/1/24 5:28

• MadFish

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/9/27

There isn't a lot of detailed documentation around on what modules actually do. Much of it is in the module readme files and some are more comprehensive then others.

There are quite a few modules out there that aren't in the downloads area, and some of them are quite good. If you are looking for something in particular a search can often turn up something useful - there are a few gems out there yet !

I thought I saw someone putting a list of modules together...I think it was being done by XOOPS Brasil or something ? My memory is a bit rusty.

dheltzel
  • 2004/1/27 23:37

• dheltzel

• Not too shy to talk

It would be great if a list of modules with descriptions was created by someone who knows many/most of them. For example, xoopsShop sounds interesting, but I can't discover much about it unless I download, unzip, and read the (hopefully) included readme files. This seems like a lot of wasted effort, as I'm sure others have gone throught the same process with the same modules.

It seems like the options are:
1) invest a lot of time into a possibly fruitless search for a useful module.
2) possibly re-invent a module that someone else has already taken the time to write.

Either way, this wastes time that an admin or dev could be using to improve a module or their own site. This seems like such an obvious need I'm rather surprised it hasn't been addressed by an XOOPS (meta)module to track available modules.

Dennis

Chainsaw
  • 2004/1/28 0:55

• Chainsaw

• Quite a regular

Actually what we need is a "module review" section on the site. One great place I used to check out CMS was athttp://www.cmsinfo.org

MadFish
  • 2004/1/28 5:29

• MadFish

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/9/27

A module standards/certification process has been proposed. I suspect that it will address many of these issues

sunsnapper

In this thread, I took a first pass at trying to categorize modules, which may get you started.
Module Categorization

Also, if you flip through the modules in the download section of this site, most of the modules offer some sort of description.

I hope that helps.

Login

Who's Online

206 user(s) are online (148 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 206

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits