domineaux
Need to Setup my own Linux/APache server for testing
  • 2004/1/17 0:43

• domineaux

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2002/9/29

Thought I'd ask for some links and resources to build a server for testing some new web apps before putting them up.

I recall using some packages that were all inclusive before. I've been on a project that's taken over a year away from XOOPS so I'm outta touch...LOL

Oh, I'm using the Win2K server OS now, which shouldn't be a problem as I recall. Maybe I'll need to partition or setup a new HDD, which is fine with me.

I also need a good board-forums software. As I recall the XOOPS had one, but it was a little behind everything else feature wise. The Invision boards are no longer free I've noticed, or maybe I was on the wrong url.

--------------------

Draven
Re: Need to Setup my own Linux/APache server for testing
  • 2004/1/17 1:04

• Draven

• Module Developer

• Since: 2003/5/28

I use phpdev from firepages. It has everything you need to run XOOPS locally, along with an auto installer.

http://www.firepages.com.au/devindex.htm

And Invision is still free to use.

Lance_
  • 2004/1/17 3:46

• Lance_

• Home away from home

• Since: 2004/1/12

If this is just for testing...you might want to take a look at EasyPHP, it is an inclusive Apache/PHP/MySQL package to run on Windows. Or I've installed on another machine each package for Windows individually.

I am using it myself to run some tests, as I figure out how to actually get my Linux box working. lol

Mithrandir

Win + PHP + MySQL : www.apachefriends.org

jlm69
  • 2004/1/17 4:09

• jlm69

• Module Developer

• Since: 2002/7/19

I would highly recommend Mandrake Linux 9.2
Just install all needed packages, choose server setup and also install mysql, install webmin to administer almost everything in the computer, go to webmin then servers and then mysql, you need to create a user, create database and give database permissions and it should be ready to go.

domineaux
  • 2004/1/17 17:40

• domineaux

• Quite a regular

I've been thinking on this...

I'm currently using the Win2K Server OS, with a dual boot to WinXP Pro. I have to use both systems for different things. I don't have a DOS partition.

I do "not" currently have IIS enabled on the server, but I was thinking of what kind of issues might be involved in using IIS.

Maybe I approach it this way. Is there a way to have IIS on the Win2K Server and have it share resources with Linux/Apache/php. When I say share, I mean is it possible for the two to be co-existent on the same drive or computer without issues?

My problem is having to build a couple of sites that will be using IIS, and I'm not sure if XOOPS will be acceptable. I realize XOOPS can be configured to work with IIS, but the client may want the ASP.

I have an old Pentium 200 w/256 Mem I could use for the Linux/Apache/PHP standalone server, but I'm not sure I'll like trying to develop with that old computer. Currently, I just use it to burn CDs.

I can sure as heck buy another HDD pretty cheap to deal with the different servers (Linux/APache & W2kServer/IIS) on separate drives, if HDD separation is enough or a good workable situation on the same box.

I'd appreciate any comments or suggestions. I'm still working on the project, and I'll be glad so share my gleanings when I'm done.

----------------------

NRTMOD
  • 2004/1/17 18:36

• NRTMOD

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/12/13

The quickest way I found for Windows is to use Appserv.
http://www.appservnetwork.com/

Has everything you need in a nice little package.

It's easy to get in and get rid off after you are done..

Herko
  • 2004/1/17 19:56

• Herko

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2002/2/4 1

Drop all above suggestions: go with the Miniserver (http://miniserver.sourceforge.net) simply because it is the simplest possible solution.

MiniServer doesn't require you install it to run! You just unpack the files to any location, and run the start.bat file. That will get you a working php/myslq/apache server. Simple as that! This also means you can put it on a USB memory key, and have your dev server with you in your pocket...

Herko

NRTMOD
  • 2004/1/17 20:07

• NRTMOD

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/12/13

that is kewl! thanks for that...

Saw it...now I got it! muhahahahaaa

domineaux
  • 2004/1/17 23:05

• domineaux

• Quite a regular

I've been searching the web or a couple hours for a simple answer. The OS on my computer is Win2K Server. I'm concerned if there are issues I should be aware of if I use the miniserver.sourceforge.net package.

The reason I ask...The Apache is a server app, which I realize will work under the non-server versions of W2k. I'll have to put on another HDD if the W2k Server won't work with apache I've just got too much stuff I use on my current Win2K server OS at this time.

Sad to say, but I've really only go one computer that I use for development.

I do not have IIS enabled/installed, but I would like to find information that spells it out a little clearer. I looked on the Apache site, but didn't find anything.

I'd appreciate any thoughts or comments

Login

Who's Online

158 user(s) are online (103 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 158

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits