elfed
Image manager tutorial?
  • 2004/1/13 1:18

• elfed

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/1/8 1

Ok, lots of newbie questions, I know...

I want to upload images and thought I could/should do so via the image manager. I "uploaded" 9 images to use in my Sections but they apparently didn't actually uploaded. I peeked via FTP and sure enough the images are not there in either the image folder or the upload folder.

So...

I tried manually uploading them via FTP.

As I attempt to edit the sections I add the address for the images but they still don't show.

I think I'm missing something here and I think it's probably basic. Is there some sort of tutorial somewhere for managing images in Xoops?

thanks in advance!
Jeff

Aine
Re: Image manager tutorial?
  • 2004/1/13 6:02

• Aine

• Just popping in

• Since: 2002/7/10

I'm with you. I don't quite *get* image manager either. Where does it upload by default? Can any module make use of those files (if so, how does the module know where to look, or do I have to manually type in paths still)? Doesn't look like the forums can use those images, since the newbb images are stored in more than one place, apparently. How do any of the modules make use of image manager? Or do they at all? I thought that was the purpose of having it when I first heard about XOOPS 2 being developed, but it doesn't seem like any modules (even the core ones) take advantage of it.

I was using the old version of XOOPS for the past few years, and it was much less complicated than this new version, and easier to figure out even without documentation. I'm still using the old version on one of my sites because some of the modules I'm using with it haven't been modified/rewritten to work with XOOPS 2.

I'm still struggling along with the new version, trying to figure everything out on my own. I won't uninstall it or anything, but it just seems like a step backwards from the earlier version in some ways.

CBlue

When you upload images in the image manager or even smilies, and avatars, the names of the files are changed. Some start with cav*, some with sav* and some as smil*. You will need to download your images that start with the cav, I think, and see if any of them are the images that you uploaded.

MadFish
  • 2004/1/13 14:06

• MadFish

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/9/27

Quote:
How do any of the modules make use of image manager?

You can access the images in any module making use of the image manager button in the submit form (like in the submit news/downloads/links/whatever). Click on that and you get a little window that displays the uploaded images, pick the one you want, select an alignment button and it will be inserted into the text. It's not very intuitive at all, but its actually quite handy.

Image manager has a permission system controlling which groups can see which categories of images. You have to set those through admin/system/image manager in order to be able to access them. I'm assuming you are the webmaster though !

There is also restrictions on size/file size set in the same menu, but if that is why there are upload problems I think it should warn you that the limits were exceeded ? If FTP didn't work either then maybe then its probably not a XOOPS problem, maybe the directory is not writable or something ?

Good luck

Aine
  • 2004/1/14 11:08

• Aine

• Just popping in

Quote:
You can access the images in any module making use of the image manager button in the submit form (like in the submit news/downloads/links/whatever). Click on that and you get a little window that displays the uploaded images, pick the one you want, select an alignment button and it will be inserted into the text. It's not very intuitive at all, but its actually quite handy.

Yeah, I figured that part out. Image Manager didn't, however, center the image when I chose that option.

Aine
  • 2004/1/14 11:12

• Aine

• Just popping in

Quote:
You will need to download your images that start with the cav, I think, and see if any of them are the images that you uploaded.

That seems kind of counter-productive. And why is it renaming files?

DonXoop

The renaming might be because of the rights grants and the choice of storing those images in the database. There has to be order to things when you want to control access and store data in SQL. Humans tend to name things in a manner completly contrary to proper data storage practices.

I hope to see the images function available to more modules. I find it very useful and only hope it continues to develop and mod developers make use of it.

Anonymous
  • 2004/1/14 20:06

• Anonymous

• Since:

Quote:
Image Manager didn't, however, center the image when I chose that option.

Two solutions:

a) insert
<div align="center">[img...]</div>
in your articles

or

b) open imagemanager.php with an editor and change the following code:

Quote:

$code = '<div align=center>[img id='.$images[$i]->getVar('image_id').']'.$images[$i]->getVar('image_nicename').'[/img]</div>';

$code = '<div align=center>[img]'.XOOPS_UPLOAD_URL.'/'.$images[$i]->getVar('image_name').'[/img]</div>';

Solution b) has the same effect as solution a) but saves some work.

Anni5166
Re:Image manager tutorial?
  • 2004/10/18 0:09

• Anni5166

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/9/30

Quote:
The renaming might be because of the rights grants and the choice of storing those images in the database

The renaming occurs whether you choose to store the images in the database as 'blobs' or whether you upload them as a file in the uploads folder.
I don't use image manager much for this reason as well. All of my images get renamed to things like img4152c63600022.jpg which means that I have to have the option to display images selected.
Can the images be renamed back to their original file name in my cpanel file manager (counterproductive also I know) or is there some other way of doing it without them being renamed. I have taken to uploading my images to the images folder(as opposed to the uploads folder) via ftp or the upload file option in my cpanel.
Hope someone can shed some light on this issue because it seems a shame to waste a tool that could be so useful without these issues. Thanks.

Login

Who's Online

203 user(s) are online (144 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 203

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits