clagrone
bad - bad bad mess up!
  • 2003/12/26 22:28

• clagrone

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/12/26

well i was looking for an answer to my question before posting. why will my theme.html changes not take place? someone says to delete all files from the tamplates_c file except the index.html, so i did. not only did i get rid of all the files but the _vti_cnf file also!!! is there something i can do to fix this or is it a lost cause and i have to start all over?

JackJ
Re: bad - bad bad mess up!
  • 2003/12/27 1:55

• JackJ

• Community Support Member

• Since: 2003/8/31

Hi

To see changes immediately that you make to your theme, you need to go to preferences, general settings, and then choose "Yes" for the following:

"Update module template .html files from themes/your theme/templates directory"

The file you mentioned "_vti_cnf" sounds like a FrontPage file? I am not sure what you mean.

What mess up is happening? The "themes" files are kept in the themes folder. Do you have a link to your site this might give an idea of what you mean?

regards

CBlue

_vti_cnf is a frontpage folder. So if it was in templates_c, then it wasn't supposed to be there.

kahumbu
  • 2003/12/27 3:50

• kahumbu

• Documentation Writer

• Since: 2003/8/23

This is what I usually do:

1. Make necessary changes in the General Settings (default theme, default template, etc.). Submit.
2. Delete all files in templates_c.
3. Log out and log back in.

As long as I made sure that no. 1 was done and updated, I usually interchange 2 and 3. This method never fails me. I think if you're still logged in, the system calls for the 'original' theme choice, rather than the new one.

Hope this helps.

DobePhat
  • 2003/12/27 4:28

• DobePhat

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/4/15

also make sure you have your PREFERENCES set to update from the templates directory...

And....

most visual changes actually occur throug the style sheet rather than the html.....

clagrone
  • 2003/12/27 12:35

• clagrone

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/12/26

Thanks guys! I could not even access the admin side of xoops. besides just a blank screen and the ctemplates folder being empty (except the index.html) everytime I would choose "Home" in the main menu it would just refresh the page. I just uninstalled and reinstalled XOOPS and have got the basic config back and made a back-up copy in a seperate folder. I have learned my leason I am installing mods and am sure i just installed a file in the wrong area and maybe overwrote a file i should not have. can you say "newbe"

CBlue

I've messed up things myself before! Overwriting or deleting the wrong files happens to me more than I should let happen. But luckily, I always keep copies of everything dealing with my XOOPS and my entire site. Just in case!

Login

Who's Online

219 user(s) are online (150 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 219

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits