WikiWonk
cPanel, Fantastico, and XOOPS
  • 2003/12/11 22:34

• WikiWonk

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/12/8

If you use cPanel, and have Fantastico, you can install XOOPs 2.0.5! Here is how:
Clcik the icon that looks like:
Resized Image
Go under Portals on the menu bar, and click Xoops.
Click New Installation (2.0.5) and enter in the info.
And VOILA! You have you XOOPS!
So, if you want a XOOPS host, check if it has cPanel and Fantastico, and if it does, follow this tutorial.

Stewdio
Re: cPanel, Fantastico, and XOOPS
  • 2003/12/12 2:13

• Stewdio

• Community Support Member

• Since: 2003/5/7 1

Thanks for pointing this out. Those of us who use cPanel are aware of this. Also, I should mention, that if your host has not updated their cPanel installation, you may not have the latest version of XOOPS on your site. Check the version number in your cPanel Fantastico Configuration.

One major drawback to installing XOOPS through cPanel that I found was that I was unable or not allowed to install XOOPS into my root directory. This forced me to name a folder called XOOPS (or what ever). For some this is ok, but if you are particular about your layout like me, you may wish to install XOOPS on your own so that you can have it open up when people type www.yourdomain.com instead of yourdomain.com/<folder>

Another problem I should make people aware of is that if you do go with the Fantasico installation, some file permissions are not granted to you, the domain administrator/owner. Fantastico (ala host provider server) becomes the owner of certain files and directories preventing you from applying some (but not all) updated files when the need arises.

One way to circumvent this problem if you should run into it, is that you will have to manually delete the files you wish to upload for updating your XOOPS Installation. If you simply try to overwrite your files, you may get an error, depending on your hosts configuration.

A self install will avoid this minor annoyance as well. Either way, the choice is yours to make, as both methods are equally effective at allowing you to use Xoops.

Btw WikiWonk, The image you are trying to display in this post is in a protected folder and anyone who opens this thread will get a login prompt for .htaccess. You may want to consider editing your post and using a diferent image url, or removing it. Just a heads up.

Per4orm
  • 2003/12/12 3:23

• Per4orm

• Documentation Writer

• Since: 2003/11/14

[EDIT]

Just figured it out... somebody's tried hotlinking to a graphic in a password protected area!

--------------------------

Is it just me, or does anybody else get a password prompt when they click on this thread?

djsckizo
  • 2003/12/12 4:31

• djsckizo

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2003/5/9 8

Yeah I got that too. Thought it was just me for a moment.

Login

Who's Online

151 user(s) are online (96 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 151

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits