snow77
Capacity of Xoops?
  • 2003/12/1 17:40

• snow77

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2003/7/23

Hi,
I wish to know a couple of things related to the capacity of XOOPS -

How many users does XOOPS support being connected simultaneously to one portal?

How many registered users does it support?

There is a posibility that we manage a site with much traffic for an e-government project and wish to know it´s stability.

Thanks.

CBlue
Re: Capacity of Xoops?

I'm sure the webmaster of this site can answer your question, snow77. This site has lots of users and lots of visitors log on at the same time, quite alot.

feral1
  • 2003/12/1 18:08

• feral1

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/10/13

I don't know the theoretical limits, but can say that the XOOPS site I run came close to 1000 simultaneous visitors on a hadful of occasions (assuming the Statistics module is working correctly). It seemed to cope fine.

I'm also interested in an answer on the registered users limit - I'd assumed any ceiling would be high...

Per4orm
  • 2003/12/1 18:45

• Per4orm

• Documentation Writer

• Since: 2003/11/14

I have it on good authority that xoops.org handled nearly 8 million hits during November, and I noticed very little wrong with how this site handled it, so I wouldn't worry unduly.

RicoCali
  • 2003/12/1 18:47

• RicoCali

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2002/7/29

Wow..there's a lot of factors involve when it comes to that question. The devs covered their butts on that end already. The other factors are hardware, database and bandwidth. When you have exhausted all your efforts on the software end and you come to a threshold and need to scale, the next angle is hardware. Typically, high volume sites cluster their webservers and database servers. Bandwidth is also relative to this equation.

snow77
Re: Capacity of Xoops?...help from xoops developer.
  • 2003/12/1 19:50

• snow77

• Just can't stay away

Thanks for all the replies, XOOPS has always been pretty stable . Yet I am looking for more precise numbers of the extreme limits you can take XOOPS ...if there are limits. No worry about bandwith or hardware and MySql is great as a database.

1.How many users does XOOPS support being connected simultaneously to one portal?

2. How many registered users does it support?

Jan304
  • 2003/12/1 20:40

• Jan304

• Official Support Member

• Since: 2002/3/31

Quote:
1.How many users does XOOPS support being connected simultaneously to one portal?

This is question that has nothing to do with xoops, more that your server can keep on following when a lot of persons are visiting the site at the same time. I know the XOOPS forum is quite a process generator so be shure you have a whole server for ya own, and be shure to seperate MySQL from file server...

Quote:
2. How many registered users does it support?

Well, as far as I know there isn't a limit on this. However, are you trying to register a country or what? I mean, in normally conditions you aren't getting a number MySQL will crash about right...

snow77
  • 2003/12/2 2:52

• snow77

• Just can't stay away

We plan to set up XOOPS in several Solaris Servers, conected to an OC3 and the statistics we have is of about 50,000 users that can be connected to the portal simultaneously. Is it possible to have this quantity of users connected to xoops?

intel352
  • 2003/12/2 2:57

• intel352

• Module Developer

• Since: 2003/11/23

they've already said it would rely on your server's abilities to cope, so as long as those solaris servers are spec'ed high enough and are properly interworked, i'd bet XOOPS would handle it just as well as any other cms

if you had something like phpnuke, i'd be worried.. yeah, it can handle alot of people as well, but the code is nowhere near as well done, with tons of different sql styles, coding styles, etc... i'm surprised it works at all, lol

you should be fine with xoops, but if you have problems, be sure to let the community know, cus i for sure would like to know if there are any technical limits with the software

intel352
  • 2003/12/2 2:59

• intel352

• Module Developer

• Since: 2003/11/23

btw, a good buddy of mine is an IBM lead tech, he's responsible (among others) for keeping the IBM sites/networks up and running properly, and when they have millions of hits *PER MINUTE*, they've learned to keep every piece of the servers separate....

database on one, webserver on another, etc etc... and i believe they use distributed load (clusters), as well as having fallback servers in case of something going wrong..

btw, they use html, they've found it's the quickest and most reliable method for serving large numbers of online users at one time (less strain on the servers)

Login

Who's Online

232 user(s) are online (158 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 232

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits