MadFish
IE 5 compatible themes
  • 2003/11/7 5:22

• MadFish

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/9/27

Has anyone modified any of the existing themes 'out there' to make them compatible with Internet Explorer 5.X ? I'd like to put a list together.

The following list seem to be ok/reported as ok with IE 5 straight out of the box [EDITED 27/7/04]:

* Imago themes 2 and 5 (no problems at all)
* Easy theme derivatives (haven't tested this myself)
* lucastds02 (including color variants b and c)
* 7-dana clean
* 7-dana round

Previously reported as IE 5 friendly, but actually not without modification: (at least in IE 5.5):

* Karate Redux Blue
* Zaja-X (not too bad, overlap/cut offs are slight)
* Other Imago themes

Thanks

philou
Re: IE 5 compatible themes
  • 2003/11/8 7:41

• philou

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2002/5/6 8

the problem with ie5 is known. The major part of the problems comes of the css. it is necessary 'to fix' the values of the size of font.

I don't have an ie5 under the hand at home and so I'm not sure that I can help you now.

sunsnapper

Also, if you set your table widths to 99% (or whatever you like other than 100%) it should take care of the internal table rendering bug of IE 5.x

MadFish
  • 2003/11/9 5:06

• MadFish

• Friend of XOOPS

Thanks for your interest philou

When you say 'fix' the font values, do you mean I should specify a particular pixel size or font size ?

ie. not use settings like 'small' ?

MadFish
  • 2003/11/9 5:40

• MadFish

• Friend of XOOPS

Thanks Sunsnapper.

Do I need to change it in just theme files (style.css and theme.html) ? Or do I need to adjust the templates under each module as well ?

sunsnapper

As far as I've come across, the widths are set in the CSS.

If not, that should certainly be the bulk of it.

MadFish
  • 2003/11/10 11:10

• MadFish

• Friend of XOOPS

Many thanks, I've got it working now.

Working in the Mambo theme, changing the default table width (2nd line of css) to 99% still looked horrible. This had me stumped until I tried 90% and it looks ok. I must have a particularly awful version of IE 5.

In the Karate Redux Blue theme I only had to change default table width down to 97% for it to look good...so I'll probably run with that.

One strange thing is that not all of the elements are resizing in equal proportions - the spotlight block and the notifications block shrank a bit more than everything else.

Another thing I noticed about the two themes that do seem to work directly vs the rest (imago 2&5) is that they have i) explicitly specified a width for the centre-centre block and ii) its set at <100%.

I assume that themes that don't explicitly do i) would probably assign the default table value (100%) to centre-centre blocks...I wonder if this is the main hotspot of IE 5 problems ?

sunsnapper

That is correct.

It is an issue of having a 100% width table (or table element) nested inside another table. Slashdot uses a 99% table to get around this... others just use 99.9%... it's a matter of trying to force IE 5.x to make an actual calculation instead of a quick assumption... as I recall anyways.

This thread includes suggested margin and padding, as well by onokazu.
https://xoops.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=8976&forum=20#forumpost35452

Login

Who's Online

240 user(s) are online (146 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 240

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits