guistock
GuiStock.com: What do you think?
  • 2003/10/14 18:10

• guistock

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/7/27

This is my website made for the Mac community.
I would like to know what you think about it.

GuiStock: Click here!

wtravel
Re: GuiStock.com: What do you think?

Hi,

Your site looks very nice, has a clean look and I like the frame solution you used.

Also I have seen a few points that need attention:

- Each time I first load the url the little icons next to the block title do not load. When I refresh they become visible.

- Regarding the layout, I think the font may be a little bit bigger so that visitors can read the contents more easily. Another option is changing the font face.

- Last point I see for improvement is the width of the site. I use 1024 x 768 to browse sites and your site is just a bit wider.

Cheers and good luck on your site :)

Martijn

Herko
  • 2003/10/14 18:38

• Herko

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2002/2/4 1

very nice! Good clean layout and theme

Herko

guistock
  • 2003/10/14 19:58

• guistock

• Just popping in

Thanks!

guistock
  • 2003/10/14 19:59

• guistock

• Just popping in

wtravel,

I see this problem with IE6 but not with Mozilla.
What did I do wrong?

rider
  • 2003/10/14 20:40

• rider

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/6/18

First of all, great site. As a Mac Man I now have another resource, keep up the good work.

As for layout issues.

Problem is with IE apparently.

It happens with a number of themes using IE, including the main XOOPS site.

It should have been fixed with IE6 but obviously not.

I recommend using tables instead of DIVs as this appears to be where the problem lies.

Anonymous
  • 2003/10/14 21:54

• Anonymous

• Since:

gui -

very nice site! i just downloaded the panther aqua desktop and bookmarked your site.

i think your design highlights one of the biggest problems with the inconsistent theme implementation of XOOPS ... unfortunately. you have a slick interface, but then when you click into links ... you get that same ugly table based link system that's on everyone's XOOPS site. it doesn't even look like it belongs on your site. XOOPS core modules are completely resistant to themes. it's amazing.

- matthew

ackbarr

nautis - I don't know how far back your usage of XOOPS goes, but in the first 2 release candidates for XOOPS 2, themes and templates were merged into 1 theme manager. IMO, this made themes more cohesive as the theme developer had full control over the resulting html for modules, blocks, everything. Apparently this made theme development too confusing or time consuming for many, and due to user demand the decision was made by the XOOPS developers in later RC's to seperate themes and templates into two features. While this has simplified the theme development process, it created the lack of cohesiveness you describe above. Perhaps a theme should not be considered complete unless it includes template sets for the core modules?

* Edit - guistock sorry for temporarily hyjacking this thread. I like your site's design even though I am not partial to the brushed steel that many apple applications favor.

Anonymous
  • 2003/10/15 3:43

• Anonymous

• Since:

ackbarr -

thanks. that makes sense now. i didn't understand the theme/template difference. it's too bad it went down that path. now i have to modify every template for each theme i use :(

can't make everyone happy. :)

wtravel

Hi Guistock,

It is most likely caused by the use of frames in this case. When you open either of the two frames seperately, everything the width seems to be fine.

I suggest you try a few different settings for the frames and see if you can fix it.

I think MSIE cannot handle the fact that your top frame does not have a scrollbar and your bottom frame does have one.

You can try to lookup some reference about this in the google newsgroups to see if other developers found a solution for that.

Regards,

Martijn

Login

Who's Online

247 user(s) are online (174 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 247

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits