joelg
Unbelievable!! How do I enter content???
  • 2003/10/14 7:08

• joelg

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/10/14

I've just got a XOOPS test bed up and started - everything seems ok - then I go to the admin menu to start entering some contents. I want to divide my content into sections and categories and then allow user groups update rights to certain sections only. Sounds simple, non? But I can't find anywhere to load the content (articles, etc) into Xoops!!

So what to do? A content management system is for managing content and I can't find any way to do that!!

Au secours!!!

Thanx a lot for anybody's help, Joel

Herko
Re: Unbelievable!! How do I enter content???
  • 2003/10/14 7:53

• Herko

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2002/2/4 1

XOOPS is a modular CMS, the type and use of content is managed by modules. For articles, there are several modules available, from the simple news module to the advanced wf-sections module. You can download them, upload them to your server, and install them from the system admin -> modules pages.

Herko

joelg
  • 2003/10/16 17:51

• joelg

• Just popping in

I seem to have found WF-Sections, but there are two versions and advice not to use the latest (v1.0.1). Does v0.9.3 work on XOOPS v2?

Thanx a lot, Joel

tom
  • 2003/10/16 18:26

• tom

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2002/9/21

I'm currently using WFS 1.0.1 and all seems to work fine, there are a few bugs, however I believe we are close to a new release of WFS and it's just a matter of waiting, but you could try the lower version to get the feel for it.

If you require something a little less advanced then there are other modules about which could accomplish the task, including the news module, tutorials module, and many more, just try a search for content modules, section modules, etc.

you could also try looking in the weblinks section for other sites which have modules includinghttp://www.modscentral.com/xoops/

Hope this is of help.

Kind Regards
Tim Bowers

[edited]

The WF-Sections home page from the one and only Catz:

http://wfsections.xoops2.com/modules/news/

joelg
  • 2003/10/16 19:30

• joelg

• Just popping in

Thankyou, it is very helpful. I much appreciate having a helping hand to show me around getting started with Xoops.

The reason I find XOOPS very attractive is the powerful user management. This is critical for my site and nobody else in this PHP/MySQL Open Source world seems to do it. In fact when I look at other forums discussions about this they all seem to say "we should do it like Xoops".

So this is what I'm looking for in terms of my requirements:
1) Be able to set up categories of articles
2) Attach a group to each category so that only members of the appropriate group can create/edit/etc articles in that category.
3) Have anonymous users able to see the articles

Then I have requirements in terms of inputting content:
1) Articles unrestricted in length
2) With page breaks
3) Print and e-mail buttons provided automatically
4) Input in English, German, or Russian (critical)
5) oh yes - and be able to display PDF files in-page

Then for reading content, I'ld like either to be able to mix languages on the page, or else to be able to separate everything by language.

If tom - or anybody else - has an opinion on the best option for doing all this, then I would be very grateful.

Thanx to all, Joel

kahumbu
  • 2003/10/16 20:24

• kahumbu

• Documentation Writer

• Since: 2003/8/23

I am using the included News Module for articles, as I have opted to wait for the new version of WFS before adopting anything outside the core modules.

These answers are for the existing News Module only. For the first set of requirements,
1) yes
2) no
3) yes

For the second set of requirements:
1) not sure. How long do you want it to go? I placed some pretty long articles and it worked okay.
2) yes
3) yes
4) not sure since I use only English
5) not sure

I believe the News Module works fine for simple article management, but for a more robust module, I am always referred to WFS.

Hope this helps.

charpres
  • 2003/10/16 20:32

• charpres

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2003/9/4 2

From what you are saying about not being able to even add content, I get the feeling that maybe you have overlooked the very basics. Even though XOOPS has the modules to handle articles bundled with the XOOPS package, you actually have to install the additional modules that take care of what you want.

The Sections module (I renamed it "Articles" in my site) will take care of much of what you want. Just go to "System Admin" and then "modules." You need to work with this quite a bit with the users permissions (to allow the groups you want to be able to access and/or read arcticles) and user groups (to create the different groups you want). I wouldn't worry about some of the fancier modules until I got comfortable with user permissions, block display and editing, and a whole lot of other basic XOOPS administration issues.

I'm sorry if this was too basic, but it looks to me like you're missing the basic steps before getting into whether you can display in Russian, etc.

svaha
  • 2003/10/17 1:52

• svaha

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2003/8/2 2

It is possible to display more languages not only in menus, but also in content, needs some hacking of the module files and some patience.
Follow this link to see how to hack :

https://xoops.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=10734&forum=14&viewmode=flat&order=ASC&start=0

You can see it working on my site :http://www.rainbowshaman.com
Everything is displayed in 2 languages (dutch/english) except the drop-down menu of WF-sections (I called it Articles/Artikelen

Aloha

joelg
  • 2003/10/20 11:54

• joelg

• Just popping in

Thanks for the help - actually somebody had aleady pointed me at this point, that XOOPS is very much a matter of installing modules, an idea that I wasn't used to but which works very well.

Now that that is sorted out, I think that wfsection is the business for what I want to do.

But there is a point to make: I'm not a techie, so I'm starting with my requirements, and one of my key requirements is to be able to enter Russian - if XOOPS couldn't handle that then there wasn't any point going any further... I'll probably be more back later with more questions about wfsection

Login

Who's Online

164 user(s) are online (104 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 164

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits