wtravel
Re: NOT listed at opensourceCMS.com! Why?

It was not on the XOOPS download pages ([NOT RECOMMENDED] XOOPS 2.2.x Upgrade Patches) this morning when I posted it, and I just found out why. I can only see the upgrade to 2.2.4 version when I am not logged in . As soon as I logged in again that release was gone. Could someone have a look into that problem?

As for the full version 2.2.4 not being available, the explanation I could extract from all the messages posted there is that the devs will not spend time on the 2.2.x branch (except for maintenance fixes), because 2.2.x is not the recommended branch and all time and energy needs to be put into the 2.3.x branch.

Quote:

Herko Coomans wrote:
2.2.3 -> 2.2.4 upgrade patch. It's been there all the time.

As to why there is no 2.2.4 full version, read the 2.2.4 release news.

I'm all for improving things and keep the suggestions coming, but self-created confusion we can't solve...

Herko

rabideau
  • 2006/3/11 13:49

• rabideau

• Home away from home

• Since: 2003/4/25

So here's the bottom line as I see things...

Xoops 2.0.13 is the stable released, production version.

2.2.x is a development/test environment and not recommended for production ( some people like me jumped on the 2.2.x band wagon and unfortunately will have to await 2.4 before we can rejoin mainstream Xoops-- so be it.)

As for other CMS's they also exhibit a fair amount of confusion and instability. It is the nature of true opensource. Nonetheless, we need to get the word out that XOOPS is alive and well.

I have conducted a number of evaluations of CMS's ... I'd be pleased to provide a write-up on my general findings to anyone who has a place (other than this XOOPS site) to publish. Basically I think XOOPS is uniquely positioned for mid-size, moderately complex CMS sites. It scales down nicely and up reasonably well. Most other CMS's are positioned differently in terms of capability, ease of use, avaliable modules, etc.

But the word needs to get out. We need to stop beating ourselves up and move forward. The past is gone. Let's look to the future and get more folks on board the XOOPS band-wagon.

So much for my two cents....

...mark
Pax vobiscum,
...mark

may the road rise to meet your feet!

http://treemagic.org

Herko
  • 2006/3/11 13:59

• Herko

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2002/2/4 1

Quote:

wtravel wrote:
It was not on the XOOPS download pages ([NOT RECOMMENDED] XOOPS 2.2.x Upgrade Patches) this morning when I posted it, and I just found out why. I can only see the upgrade to 2.2.4 version when I am not logged in . As soon as I logged in again that release was gone. Could someone have a look into that problem?]

Whoops will fix that asap

Herko

Herko
  • 2006/3/11 14:03

• Herko

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2002/2/4 1

Fix0red

Herko

Login

Who's Online

150 user(s) are online (90 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 150

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits