robot
Re: Any module requests?
  • 2006/5/1 19:33

• robot

• Just popping in

• Since: 2006/4/10

Quote:

hyperpod wrote:

The nice thing about the Profiles module I am working on is that it can be used to prfile anything... not just people. So places, things, people, users can all be profiled.

I did not realize it's so flexible! Will try it ASAP, thanks!!

adrock
  • 2006/5/1 22:28

• adrock

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2004/12/7

A great feature/module option for everyone, would be the ability to prevent anonymous users from seeing attachemtns & images in the forums and modules (smilies, attached files, attached images, etc), while still being able to read the text in those pages/modules.

It would help promote membership to the sites that use it, and would help organic SEO growth by allowing the robots etc to see everything 'text' in the module. Right now, if anonymous users are denied access to the information, so is the robot, etc.

Thanks!
Affordable Web Hosting - Family - Fun!...and not always in that order!

Will_H
  • 2006/5/2 0:04

• Will_H

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2004/10/10

Quote:

hervet wrote:
You are describing XOOPS 2.3

HOOORA!

Psychotic_Ca

Could someone turn this

http://www.phpmycomic.net/

into a XOOPS mudule?
Psychotic_Carp
Resized Image

hyperpod
  • 2006/5/7 0:07

• hyperpod

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2004/10/4

Quote:

Psychotic_Ca wrote:
Could someone turn this

http://www.phpmycomic.net/

into a XOOPS mudule?

Very interesting, so this is basically a database specific to comic books, artists, issues, etc... ??

We would simply need to break down the features and also the specific data fields associated with each data type.
Daniel Hall / XOOPS Module Development & Theme Design
Free XOOPS Support > My Wish List

Psychotic_Ca

Quote:

Very interesting, so this is basically a database specific to comic books, artists, issues, etc... ??

We would simply need to break down the features and also the specific data fields associated with each data type.

Its probabl;y the best thing I have found for free that keeps track of ones comics. Converting it to a XOOPS module would be much appriciated!
Psychotic_Carp
Resized Image

jfmoore
  • 2006/7/22 3:28

• jfmoore

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2004/6/6 5

Last year I would have said that a good business directory would be the most desirable module. Now, however, with mxDirectory and efqDirectory coming along nicely, that hole is hopefully filled.

A good classified ads module would be my next choice. There used to be much demand for this, but people have, I think, pretty much given up on it. This is, in my opinion, a module that every site could use. Worldwide Classifieds 4.0 is a nice script, is inexpensive, and they will integrate it into Xoops, but it is not a module. Class ads would be my first request.

My second request would be a really simple module, and also widely applicable--a birthday/anniversary module to spotlight users' birthdays and anniversaries in a nice way.

Thanks for asking.

Jere

carnuke
  • 2006/7/22 12:20

• carnuke

• Home away from home

• Since: 2003/11/5

I have been working with Drupal as well as XOOPS as I think it's a good idea to notice what other CMSs are doing. One of the most important developments with Drupal is the Taxonomy system (categories and classifications) without going into long descriptions (and it is complex) the main point is that XOOPS needs to be able to classify content in a different way.

1- With XOOPS modules the issue is that most of our categorisation is linear, that is we only have one parent as a category and subgroups or categories as children of that parent. phppp has begun to break away from this concept with the content module, but I feel this needs expanding into a more taxonomous categorisation, where content can be placed in more than one category allowing for cross reference.

2- Another issue- Currently we are too ridgid in the concept that one type of content (ie photos) can only be used within a certain module and other content cannot be easily added. Sure we can hack a module and add stuff, but again the classification of content is still linear.

Proposal: A module that allows a real taxonomy rather than linear classification of content, also facility to add different content medium.

With this concept XOOPS would become open to a whole new area of website structure, appealing to many more users. In addition we would begin to appeal to professional business market who require a more flexible and comprehensive form of data display and retrieval.

I gues one of the challenges is the way core data is stored and organised and this is where Drupal's 'node system' scores. Maybe XOOPS data storage does not lend itself to this kind of organisation. I am not a software developer, but seeing you ask the question about new modules, here at least is a concept to work with
http://houseofstrauss.co.uk Resource for alternative health and holistic lifestyle
search xoops

McNaz
  • 2006/7/22 12:31

• McNaz

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2003/4/21

Quote:
2- Another issue- Currently we are too ridgid in the concept that one type of content (ie photos) can only be used within a certain module and other content cannot be easily added. Sure we can hack a module and add stuff, but again the classification of content is still linear.

This is a very good point and it is something I've been thinking about lately. One idea is to have a feature called XoopsBots, which would provide a module wide hook (setup in xoops_version.php like a search hook it for example) that would enable content from one module to be displayed anywhere. In the example of the gallery module, specific pictures could be shown anywhere in a XOOPS site by a simple markup (TAG.GALLERY[PictureID] for example). Another Markup up would be {TAG.ALBUMS[AlbumID]} to display an album for instance...

This markup would be intercepted by the Text Sanitiser, passed to the relevant module and rendered. Almost like smarty tags but for modules.

I might do a such a hack to the core and present it to the core team if there is enough demand for such a feature.

Cheers.

carnuke
  • 2006/7/22 12:39

• carnuke

• Home away from home

• Since: 2003/11/5

Thanks McNaz for taking this up; you wait till tzvook sees this... he'll be banging your door down! I know there are others who are very keen on the idea. My guess is this concept will be very popular, when users descover how it can improve the flexibility of their websites.
http://houseofstrauss.co.uk Resource for alternative health and holistic lifestyle
search xoops

Login

Who's Online

191 user(s) are online (107 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 191

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits