dheltzel
Re: Best for articles management
  • 2004/2/5 19:38

• dheltzel

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2003/1/8 1

Excuse my relative ignorance of the XOOPS development process, but wouldn't it be helpful to release a preview, beta, RC, or whatever you want to call it, to get more eyes looking for problems? You know, the old "with enough eyes, all bugs are shallow" thing.

It's your project and I doubt my post will change the way you see things, but I like to try new code, find and fix things and feel like I'm giving something back to the community, instead of being merely a "consumer" of OSS goods.

The slow, secretive development process was what caused me to abandon XOOPS a year ago and go find another CMS. I'm back because I like the way the code base works and I see that the new releases are much improved, but I'm still a bit confounded by the dev community. Not that you don't produce good code, but that the development process is more like proprietary software than the Bazaar approach that I'm accustomed to.

I appreciate the code and the way it is licensed, but it is little wonder that so many folks are inclined to fork code, as that is the only avenue they see to make improvements and give them back to the community.

wjue
  • 2004/2/9 16:32

• wjue

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2002/8/3 7

@charpres

I would suggest you dig a little further in software that you make comment publicly.

Possible Correction

Freecontent
Power: Dragon Force but beautifully feminine
Printing: When you have a printer, why not ?
Commenting: Yes, since an eternity

Kindest regards

wjue

Quote:

charpres wrote:

Free Content:
Power: Low
Printing: No
Commenting: No
Handles blocks and a Main Menu entry.

ohwada
  • 2004/2/10 6:20

• ohwada

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/11/15

I am the author of XFsection.

My intention is as having stated in the past.
https://xoops.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=13321&forum=4
Quote:

XFsectin is a hack version for myself.
I may avoid that I mix up orginal WFsection, and so I change module name.
I don't have the ambition to make a module different to WFsection.
If WFsection accepts my hacks, there is no reason in which XFsectin exists.

Quote:

Catzwolf wrote:
An invitation was sent to him regarding joining the development team, but for some reason I never heard back from him except for once and it never happened.

Hi Catzwolf.
I sent reply mail to you.
Please check your mail box in 27 Nov 2003.

Brad
  • 2004/2/11 3:14

• Brad

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2003/12/4

Quote:

Olorin wrote:
Oh, my god... catz... calm down...
Quote:
It?s kind of like me taking DMS, liaise or someone else's module, fixing a few bugs then releasing it under a different'ish' name. I am sure the authors of them modules may not be too happy about it either.

Understanding what you insist, I have no idea why you need to insult the author of Liaise... I do not correctly know who originally developed "Contact" module, though it seems to be done by Ono Kazu. And I don't think Liaise infringes the GPL, as far as I know.

Um, look at what you quoted from Catz and then how you responded. Do you see any inconsistencies?

Catz never disrepected the author of Liaise. He used the module in a hypothetical example. Further, he was arguing the point that it WOULD BE disrespectful for someone to... Oh nevermind, just re-read what he wrote. Not as hastily this time.

charpres
  • 2004/2/14 20:32

• charpres

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2003/9/4 2

"I would suggest you dig a little further in software that you make comment publicly."

Ok, I looked at Freecontent 3.0 again. You are correct that native XOOPS commenting is supported.

However, printing in the sense that the end user can display a printer-friendly version and then print out with a click (not using the browser's lame printing method) and with the developer's logo on the printed page, is not supported. The other modules in which I said printing is supported have this capability.

Also, XOOPS native searching does not appear to be supported. This is a must, in my humble opinion. What is the point of pulling in content if the content cannot be searched. I still maintain "low" for power is appropriate. Again, this is purely subjective and for my purposes, as I have already said. From someone else's viewpoint the power could be "high."

Catzwolf
  • 2004/2/15 4:32

• Catzwolf

• Home away from home

• Since: 2007/9/30

Hi Ohwada,

I am sorry to say that I never received your email or I would have acted on it. Makes me wonder if many of the other programmers I contacted had the same problem?

I have finally downloaded your hacked version of WF-Sections I will try to include many (if not all, as I have already added some of these anyay) of your additions. Some good ones there that I like (esp the Wiki)

Hope this clears this up for you and everyone else

ATB

Catz

PS: Please thank Ohwada now for putting back the release date of WF-Sections

Catzwolf
  • 2004/2/15 4:38

• Catzwolf

• Home away from home

Quote:

dheltzel wrote:
Excuse my relative ignorance of the XOOPS development process, but wouldn't it be helpful to release a preview, beta, RC, or whatever you want to call it, to get more eyes looking for problems? You know, the old "with enough eyes, all bugs are shallow" thing.

It's your project and I doubt my post will change the way you see things, but I like to try new code, find and fix things and feel like I'm giving something back to the community, instead of being merely a "consumer" of OSS goods.

The slow, secretive development process was what caused me to abandon XOOPS a year ago and go find another CMS. I'm back because I like the way the code base works and I see that the new releases are much improved, but I'm still a bit confounded by the dev community. Not that you don't produce good code, but that the development process is more like proprietary software than the Bazaar approach that I'm accustomed to.

I appreciate the code and the way it is licensed, but it is little wonder that so many folks are inclined to fork code, as that is the only avenue they see to make improvements and give them back to the community.

I take it this one is aimed at myself

This is nothing about being secretive or anything else about my code, its all there to pick at

The reason why it has taken so long for me to release a new version of WF-Section is a long long list, but mainly due to health issues, other projects and working on developing Xoops. Plus the fact that I have re-written, removed many bugs and added many new features to WF-Sections.

Trust me, no one is more frustrated by the long release time than myself and if I could have released it well before now I would have.

kevincam
  • 2004/2/15 5:25

• kevincam

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/2/25

Found a bug in XF-Section.

category.php
line 68
here is the corrected line:
$indeximage_select->setExtra("onchange='showImgSelected(\"image\", \"indeximage\", \"".$wfsConfig['sgraphicspath']."\", \"\", \"\")'");

I had to add: , \"\"
which set the last parameter for the javascript function showImgSelected() to be empty.

Olorin
  • 2004/2/15 5:40

• Olorin

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/7/5 1

Quote:
Um, look at what you quoted from Catz and then how you responded. Do you see any inconsistencies?

Ouch!!!! It was ME that should have been calmed down...
I completely misundestood what Cats wrote. I'm very sorry about it. It was definilety my huge fault...

And thank you for pointing out my misunderstanding, BPJones...

This is the reason why I said English is the foe for Japanese... Good excuse isn't it?

Well, take care of yourself, Catswolf. I'm also a big fan of Wf-section.

Catzwolf
  • 2004/2/15 14:20

• Catzwolf

• Home away from home

Quote:

kevincam wrote:
Found a bug in XF-Section.

category.php
line 68
here is the corrected line:
$indeximage_select->setExtra("onchange='showImgSelected(\"image\", \"indeximage\", \"".$wfsConfig['sgraphicspath']."\", \"\", \"\")'");

I had to add: , \"\"
which set the last parameter for the javascript function showImgSelected() to be empty.

You could change that to:

$indeximage_select->setExtra( "onchange='showImgSelected(\"image\", \"indeximage\", \"" . $wfsPathConfig['sgraphicspath'] . "\", \"\", \"" . XOOPS_URL . "\")'" );

This is due to changes within XOOPS Core :-/

Login

Who's Online

215 user(s) are online (175 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 215

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits