incama
Re: WHY????
  • 2005/7/13 17:23

• incama

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/10/24

Quote:

davidl2 wrote:
Betamax was actually a better format technically, so this would not have been a bad thing

True, very true!
But I guess this discussion is taking us nowhere. If he wants a flashy theme for his Xoops, and it isn't around for free, maybe he should pay a designer to do the work for him.
Webdesign
Sitting Ducks?!
I hate politics, give me a stylie instead...

tvepsorg
  • 2005/7/13 17:24

• tvepsorg

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2004/5/18

So we never should have all made the switch to digital phones? We should all still be driving huge gas hog vehicles? Hell, why don't we all just go live in the woods.

I can see why there aren't themes like this on the site, if anyone released one you'd call it "bloated" and claim it's a bad design.

tvepsorg
  • 2005/7/13 17:26

• tvepsorg

• Quite a regular

And to all the people who can't come up with something better than "you should do it yourself"... XOOPS used to have the slogan "just use it". XOOPS is made for people who don't have the ability to code, but still would like a decent site. So it only makes sense that the people here would be asking for themes.

incama
  • 2005/7/13 17:33

• incama

• Friend of XOOPS

Quote:

I can see why there aren't themes like this on the site, if anyone released one you'd call it "bloated" and claim it's a bad design.

You have misquoted me, you naughty boy.
Webdesign
Sitting Ducks?!

tvepsorg
  • 2005/7/13 17:42

• tvepsorg

• Quite a regular

Quote:

The main problem of XOOPS is that it isn't addepted by the gaming and fantasy community, so there are relative few themes which are bloated as the examples above.

You called the "themes above" bloated. I then said if someone were to submit a theme like the ones above you would call them "bloated"... how is that misquoting you??

incama
  • 2005/7/13 17:46

• incama

• Friend of XOOPS

Quote:

"bloated" and claim it's a bad design.

please read!

My next reply will cost you € 5,-
Webdesign
Sitting Ducks?!

Mithrandir

Quote:

tvepsorg wrote:
And to all the people who can't come up with something better than "you should do it yourself"... XOOPS used to have the slogan "just use it". XOOPS is made for people who don't have the ability to code, but still would like a decent site. So it only makes sense that the people here would be asking for themes.

Asking?

Quote:

WHY???
Why can't we get cool themes like this?
[...]
The XOOPS development team needs to hire a graphics designer

Sounds rather demanding to me.

WE need to spend money to hire a graphics designer so that YOU can get MORE for free?

We are in this together. We do something to help you, you do something to help us. That's how it goes. We do our best within the limits of our abilities to give you what we think you need. If that is not enough, you should see what you could do to change that. Saying "hire someone" is not really changing anything.

You need to help us help you.
"When you can flatten entire cities at a whim, a tendency towards quiet reflection and seeing-things-from-the-other-fellow's-point-of-view is seldom necessary."

Cusix Software

Shine
  • 2005/7/13 19:05

• Shine

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2002/7/22

Actually Incama already answered your gaming theme-lack question several times:
The main problem of XOOPS is that it isn't addepted by the gaming and fantasy community, so there are relative few themes which are bloated as the examples above.
It is clear that the last year more and more people find XOOPS and start using it. But the fact is that the gaming mass still mainly use Nuke. You have to consider that when Nuke was launched it also took quit some time to get slick gaming or fantasy themes available.
I also totally agree that gaming website overall uses bloated designs. Then again, these kind of themes seems to be standard for these kind of websites. And here is where the circle closes in: if there aren't many XOOPS gamingwebsite, there won't be many gaming related themes available.

If you take a good look at the available XOOPS themes (which are quit a lot) you'll see a lot of potention to convert it into a gaming website theme. Change the colors (into mostly dark colors) make a few flashy button and your on the road.
This is what I mainly see at gaming websites. They use standard lay-outs (3-coloms) but enhance them mainly by changing colors and add some buttons. (I don't count in the real exceptions)

There isn't anything wrong by asking for some themes and if there are some guys/girls who would like to make them they surely would have.
But hey,.....c'est le ton qui fait la musique. I am affraid your tone isn't very inviting!
Don't be offended if nobody feels like doing it. Specially if it has to be for free. You already may use XOOPS and all the modules for nothing! Even the worldwide given good support isn't charched!

All in all...I suggest that if you want a personal slick gamingtheme I'd suggest you hire a designer (there are some good designers around), tell him/her your wishes and the job gets done.
I am curious how your ideal gaming-/fanatasysite theme is gonna look! And even more, will you make it available to other XOOPS users.

Grtz., Shine

solo71
  • 2005/7/13 19:18

• solo71

• Module Developer

• Since: 2003/1/29

Quote:

Shine wrote:

But hey,.....c'est le ton qui fait la musique. I am affraid your tone isn't very inviting!

Joli style, Madame.

I don't know in Texas, but in Belgium we use to say 's'il-vous-plaît' or 'Alstublief' when you ask something to someone. That's even more true when you ask for a service.

I can't tell how many time I spend desigining themes. Mostly I don't use them on my site (not as main theme actually), but just for the fun of it, and for the incredible pleasure to learn and have the ability not to have to ask for it. And guess what, it's even more pleasant to give it to the community for free. I rarely see people say 'thanks' for it... but hey, that's part of the game.

You should try, really. I repeat it. Take your time and energy to learn to do it yourself, and submit it for free to the community. That's the way you learn how we use to collaborate here...

m0nty
  • 2005/7/13 19:30

• m0nty

• XOOPS is my life!

i agree with Shine and incama.

gaming sites tend to attract high speed users.. those with enough money to afford high speed connections and large monitors and powerful computers?

should we all quit our low paid jobs and wait for higher paid jobs to come around, go out buy expensive computers just so we can have great over the top themes? i think not.

what you don't seem to realise is;

gaming sites design themes for themselves, and a theme is designed by someone usually to s specific standard given to them by the client they designed it for.

most themes that get released are by people who have designed them for use by themselves or as a general theme for everybody to use, and they do this FREE of charge.

hi graphic themes and flash themes tend to be designed for clients.. ie. the theme designer is usually *PAID* to design the theme.. those themes take a lot more time to design, so non pay themes don't tend to be as good (in your opinion) because the designer doesn't or can't afford to spend that much time designing them.

so we're back to the start.. Should XOOPS *hire* a designer to create FREE themes for you? talk about financial stupidity when everyones tastes are different..

as said if you want those types of themes, either learn to do it yourself or *PAY* someone to do it for you. if you choose to release it to everyone after it's been done, then i'm sure people will thank you for it. but after paying for that theme to be developed out of your own pocket, would you be inclined to offer that theme for free?

Login

Who's Online

266 user(s) are online (155 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 266

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits