Anonymous
Re: Best choice among Xoops news modules (articles, ezines, advanced blogs)
  • 2008/11/8 12:50

• Anonymous

• Since:

Quote:
MrGrey wrote:

What would be the limitation or problem in each case?

None that I'm aware of.

Quote:
MrGrey wrote:
Quote:
JAVesey wrote:

Look at the index page of the News module and you'll typically see either the news items themselves or a summary of the "scoops". ...//cut

Is there a "comment link" for that page? (make own comment)

Individual news items can be commented if the permissions are set to allow it.

No comments on the index page and I'm not sure that it's necessary. What would be the point of being able to comment on a page whos contents would change?

sailjapan

I often choose "SmartSection" module for my long 'articles' mainly because I can embed a huge range of mime types into the content easily. Word docs, pdfs, all sorts of video formats and many more. I can also allow/disallow comments on a per-article basis.

I choose "Content" for wrapping html pages, for creating 'sub-sections' of similar content (recently I added a sub-section to a site of over 100 word template generated docs). I also like that it has a separate menu block that I can use. (I rarely use the system's 'Main menu').

'News', to be honest, has fewer options, and therefore is more suited (IMHO) to quick 'blogging' style posts.

I don't think there's anything inherent in any of the three modules that restricts them to one type of publishing rather than another. Maybe it just comes down to personal preferences in the end. One thing is for sure, it's nice to have the choice!
Never let a man who does not believe something can be done, talk to a man that is doing it.

MrGrey
  • 2008/11/9 8:52

• MrGrey

• Just popping in

• Since: 2008/4/13

Quote:

JAVesey wrote:
Quote:
MrGrey wrote:

What would be the limitation or problem in each case?

None that I'm aware of.

Time: Could all management or layout be done fully and as efficient (same time frame) for the module types.

Quote:

sailjapan wrote:
I often choose "SmartSection" module for my long 'articles' // I can embed a huge range of mime types // also allow/disallow comments on a per-article basis.

I choose "Content" for wrapping html pages, for creating 'sub-sections' of similar content // separate menu block //(I rarely use the system's 'Main menu').

'News', to be honest, has fewer options, and therefore is more suited (IMHO) to quick 'blogging' style posts.

// ...personal preferences in the end. One thing is for sure, it's nice to have the choice!

Cool: "SmartSection" [SSn] and "Contents" [C] U comment from a webmaster (?) perspective. "News" [N] on the other hand U refere to as blog-style wich, at least in some aspect referes to layout and frontside looks (user /reader), doesn't it?

What about "spotlights"? Can SSn and C be used also to make magazine like frontpages?

N is then somewhat limited in mimes and indexation etc..

Let's say U have a site with both small and larger articles... would prefer to use 1 module with many subjects or use 2 or more modules instead?

Anonymous
  • 2008/11/9 9:10

• Anonymous

• Since:

There is no difference on the time front.

SmartSection and other content modules generally allow uploads of more file types.

Both have "spotlight" blocks - see my homepage (address in sig).

I really think that you you will get a better idea of what they can do by installing them and seeing for yourself

MrGrey
  • 2008/11/12 8:29

• MrGrey

• Just popping in

Orientation needed for understanding and analyzis

Quote:

JAVesey wrote:
/.../
I really think that you you will get a better idea of what they can do by installing them and seeing for yourself

Both yes, and no
To understand and applying good questions, specially about what happens if a site grows and in time it's very good to have some basic understanding... think some is "arriving"

One more thing about the basic consept. I guess, 1 module makes the trick in most cases, right? Is there any normal or special case where 2 modules would be needed?

ghia
  • 2008/11/12 9:48

• ghia

• Community Support Member

• Since: 2008/7/3 1

Do you need two cars? One Rolls and one Maserati? It sure can have benefits to have them both or only one of them and explained why, but at a certain time, you can only find out by driving them.
So, copy XAMPP to your PC. Install XOOPS and the two modules to the local server it offers and 5 minutes later, you can tinker with both modules.
On your production site you can start with one module and add later the other one if necessary. Or with two (and eventually abondoning the no longer or less used one). The software is both free and free to use, so make use of it!

MrGrey
  • 2008/11/14 8:19

• MrGrey

• Just popping in

Quote:

ghia wrote:
Do you need two cars? One Rolls and one Maserati?

Sure! ...I use them 1 by 1. The gasolin and maintenance is ~based on driven distance.

But, on a website it seems likely that management is increased when 2 modules are up and running "in frontline" allways.

Can the same topic index be used for 1 news and 1 contents module simultaneously?

----------
[size=x-small]My belief is that a well reflected newbie can understand many things about a module (or anything) if he tried to understand wich issues may occure in his website. A non reflected newbie will still say "oh sh_t" on a regular bases years after installation.
Thats also why many freewares (GNU /GPL) during the years have been recomended by amateurs although they have been impossible to use for anything beyond kid-play.
[/size]-----------

ghia
  • 2008/11/14 11:42

• ghia

• Community Support Member

• Since: 2008/7/3 1

Quote:
My belief is that a well reflected newbie can understand many things about a module (or anything) if he tried to understand wich issues may occure in his website. A non reflected newbie will still say "oh sh_t" on a regular bases years after installation.
It's the old battle:
- between theory and practise:
In theory are theory and practice the same.
In practise they are not!
- between knowledge and experience:
The only source of knowledge is experience. (Albert Einstein)
- between thinking and doing:
Some things are believed to be impossible, until one doesn't know and do it.

No one can explain to you how chocolate taste, nor can any reflection help you to understand the feeling! So start the XAMPP server and experience XOOPS.
Quote:
Thats also why many freewares (GNU /GPL) during the years have been recomended by amateurs although they have been impossible to use for anything beyond kid-play.

In that case, you should refrain immediatly from XOOPS!

MrGrey
  • 2008/11/22 10:54

• MrGrey

• Just popping in

Quote:

ghia wrote:
It's the old battle:
- between theory and practise:
In theory are theory and practice the same.
/.../

No one can explain to you how chocolate taste.../

A quote I have sometimes heard is this:

"If U don't know anything about a topic U can not even put the good questions"
This issue relates very much specially to the field of trobleshooting... where U have to interprete an error, not just recieve it... but also understand some characteristics that may give a clue on what kind of error it is.

A theory, wich seem very practical for understanding is this formula for competence:

Competence is =

knowledge x skill(overall personal skills) x personal values

Any one of these being zero towards a scertain task the output will be crap.

Nowadays there are plenty of good GNU GPL around. Firefox, OOo and XOOPS some of the hights.

...but, my point about some Open applications being kid-stuff relates to the point that some GNU developers like to do fun things, but do not set the goal to push the over all quality, interface, ease of installation and free of bugs etc. into the "effectivity zone".

Some years ago I asked a friend was playing a PC-civilization game... he was all new to all civ-games and the computer-opponents was kicking his arse really bad. I asked him what he was doing, and his answer was:

"I'm making some war here."

When I asked him why he was making war in that area of the world-map he looked rather silly at me and said:

"I don't know... should I know that?"

sailjapan

His name didn't have a W in the middle, did it?
Never let a man who does not believe something can be done, talk to a man that is doing it.

Login

Who's Online

203 user(s) are online (143 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 203

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits