snow77
Re: Why the change?
  • 2006/8/18 17:36

• snow77

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2003/7/23

People who have had inconveniences because the modules are not all packed in one folder might be interested in reading THIS THREAD

I have already started the document it's called: An Introductory Review of XOOPS Basic Modules. It's in the Documentation in the workspace in the module manuals section. I have to ask a couple of things to Jen though.
www.polymorphee.com
www.xoopsdesign.com

deram
  • 2006/8/19 0:22

• deram

• Just popping in

• Since: 2006/2/10

Thank you James.

However I looked in the read_me file and usually it says what to do, but the one included only says which modules are included.

What do I do once I have downloaded the pack?

Can I just put the main folder in one place or will I have to spread it out etc.. (how I dont know).

deram
  • 2006/8/19 1:59

• deram

• Just popping in

I am now taking all the content from your pack's "modules" folder, James - and putting it into the almost empty "modules" folder on my xoops.

I do not want to install the entire thing although I can see that your pack is actually XOOPS with modules.

I just need a module pack because my internet provider has fantastico and I will use as much automatic stuff as I can.

______

I am now uploading all the content of "modules" folder to my host server.

After it finishes, do I have to activate it anywhere else but in the modules section on admin page?

deram
  • 2006/8/19 11:34

• deram

• Just popping in

Please guys.

I have been in here to check for answers every half hour yesterday and today.

I have 4-6 days now where I have time to get the site up and running and do all these things. Normally under 1.13 with fantastico this would not be a problem.

I would install it using fantastico. Update the forum. Find a theme. Install it. Put the right blocks in place etc.

But what do I do now?

davidl2
  • 2006/8/19 12:04

• davidl2

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/5/26

Sorry, but I'm afraid we are voluteers - which means that many of us have full time jobs to deal with before checking the XOOPS forum out.

Please be patient.

Thanks

Will_H
  • 2006/8/19 12:20

• Will_H

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2004/10/10

@david - LMAO!

@deram - If you only want to do it through Fantastico, I suggest you seek help here

otherwise....

Get

Read

deram
  • 2006/8/19 13:25

• deram

• Just popping in

@David Yes, I know you are right. I don't want to seem impatient ( although I am.. )

@Biteronboard - you misunderstand me.

I have Dreamweaver and I have uploaded/downloaded/syncroniced files between my pc and my webhost many times. That is not the issue.

OK, I will try to state it as precisely as I can:

I know how to use Fantastico. I have Dreamweaver and know how to use it to up and download files.

I have already installed version ..14 via Fantastico on my host and then syncronized all the files down to my own pc.

_________________________-

Problem: I have downloaded the module pack here. I have put all the files in the modules folder from that pack into my own modules-folder.

I have also uploaded all the new files in that folder to my webhost.

However, I still only have the systems module when I look at the site.

Is there anywhere I need to activate the modules or?

Herko
  • 2006/8/19 14:17

• Herko

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2002/2/4 1

deram: you're skipping over the XOOPS Basics lesson, and then complain about not fully understanding. Everything has a logic to it, you just have to discover xoops' logic. Everything has a learning curve (with the possible exception of iPods, they don't even come with a manual), you can't just skip it and blame the product.

Anyways, having said that, you have to make sure that the directory structure in your modules folder is like this:

/modules/modulename/admin
/modules/modulename/templates
/modules/modulename/blocks
etc.
Make sure there's a /modules/modulename/xoops_version.php file. If that is in some kind of subfolder like /modules/modulename/mod_xoops_modulename_v1.0/, then it will not work. XOOPS needs to detect the xoops_version.php file in the /modules/modulename/ folder.
(modulename needs to be the name of the module, like news, newbb, etc., of course).

Then, when you're sure all modules are in the right place, go to system admin -> modules (see the logic there?) and you will have to install each module, so the database tables for that module are created, the tempates are generated and the configuaration options are written. When that is done, the module is available on your website.

Herko

deram
  • 2006/8/20 1:31

• deram

• Just popping in

@Harko. Thank you for trying. It is probably me that apparently is very bad at explaining myself.

I'll try again:

As I have said many times, I have already several websites running ..13 version of Xoops.

So - that means that I know some of the basic things of course.

I know that there has to be a basic folder structure. After all I am an experienced html coder and I have used Dreamweaver and flash for about 10 years.

James has made a "xoops with basic set of modules" pack. I then took all the files and folders from his "modules" folder and copied them to my own installed ..14 version modules folder.

So if his XOOPS works mine should now be identical, right?

I then uploaded the whole thing (in the same folders etc. of course)

However, from the admin page I still only see the system module and cannot install any other module.

I hope I was able to explain myself better this time... :/

PS. when I used to update my database from newbb1.0 to CBB1.16, I always had to run some file to make it work. #OOPS# - It would be nice if someone would make a module pack and include a simple "read_me" file. ver...14 may be good for the people ALREADY using and experienced with Xoops, but the community is not really likely to get many new users the way this works. This is just my honest advice. I chose XOOPS after having tried installing several CMS' via Fantastico and trying to upgrade them, install modules etc.. In the end XOOPS was the best mix of user friendlyness, security and style that I wanted. But ver. 14 (while I'm sure experienced users can see the benefits) would not have made me choose Xoops. And that is a shame because XOOPS is good. It is just frustrating when techies forget that there are user at the other end of the chain.

Please don't take this as a personal critique. I know many people are doing a great job, and I really appreciate it. It is just frustrating that the CMS that I really liked, is "improved" for a small number of experienced users, while all future users will be in pain trying to figure out what goes on.

Anyway - any help with this will be deeply appreciated.

Bender
  • 2006/8/20 2:07

• Bender

• Home away from home

• Since: 2003/3/10

Quote:
James has made a "xoops with basic set of modules" pack. I then took all the files and folders from his "modules" folder and copied them to my own installed ..14 version modules folder.

So if his XOOPS works mine should now be identical, right?

Sorry but - no. In this case your XOOPS is not identical since you did not take into consideration that there could be some required stuff outside the modules folder.
(something that is uncommon but true in this case)

The problem of the not showing modules is caused by the missing Frameworks folder located in the XOOPS root directory.

(this issue has been added to the cbb bugtracker though its not a bug per se but still an issue that if possible should be resolved to avoid this situation)

Quote:

PS. when I used to update my database from newbb1.0 to CBB1.16, I always had to run some file to make it work. #OOPS# - It would be nice if someone would make a module pack and include a simple "read_me" file. ver...14 may be good for the people ALREADY using and experienced with Xoops, but the community is not really likely to get many new users the way this works. This is just my honest advice.

I agree and work on a module package will continue i guess. I am not sure if JamesSAEP does also offer a pure modules pack and if he is planning on documentation which i think should really be added to any kind of module pack since either you adress the starters or you donĀ“t. If you do documentation is a must.

Suggestion about the modulepack could also be brought into this topic:

[XOOPS] Designing a default module pack for XOOPS Core
Sorry, this signature is experiencing technical difficulties. We will return you to the sheduled signature as soon as possible ...

Login

Who's Online

136 user(s) are online (74 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 136

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits