MadFish
Re: XOOPS criminalised in the UK?
  • 2006/1/31 10:06

• MadFish

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/9/27

Trying to make XOOPS compliant with government accessibility legislation is futile - because many countries have such legislation and their laws are different and change all the time. XOOPS is international software.

If there is a sensible and accepted international standard for accessibility (and I don't know) then I'm all for XOOPS trying to comply with it, but using the standard of any one government isn't going to work.

I am sure that it wouldn't be hard to find a non-compliant UK government site (if you get hauled up, it might be amusing to check the compliance of sites operated by, say, the police or justice department :)

tedsmith
  • 2006/1/31 10:46

• tedsmith

• Home away from home

• Since: 2004/6/2 1

The only time this would be an issue is if you provide commercial services on your XOOPS site. The law really only applies if, for example, you were running a sale on your site but as a result of the way your site was created a disabled person (e.g partially sighted person) was unable to read parts of your site resulting in them not being able to take advantage of your sale costs.

In other words, the disabled person in being disadvantaged financialy as a result of their disability.

The wording in the first thread is just a generic warning.

Nice tool though - thanks for bringing it to the communities attention.

Ted

Herko
  • 2006/1/31 13:35

• Herko

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2002/2/4 1

Quote:

MadFish wrote:

If there is a sensible and accepted international standard for accessibility (and I don't know) then I'm all for XOOPS trying to comply with it, but using the standard of any one government isn't going to work.

http://www.w3.org/WAI/

This is the link tgo the Web Accessibility Initiative from the World Wide Web Consortium (W3C). This is what you're looking for. They have defined the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG), defining what your pages should do in order to pass the WAI criteria.

Herko

Login

Who's Online

262 user(s) are online (166 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 262

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits