IShades
Re: Yabbse!
  • 2004/3/18 2:11

• IShades

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/2/20

I cant agree with you more stewdio....
I think XOOPS is original and quite excellent as is without incorporating yet another third party solution.

I once was a heavy user of Yabbse, Yapp, PfaBB, Yabb, Mamboserver...
And I turned to XOOPS for an all out better solution.
Indeed XOOPS has some more advancing to do but overall I feel it has a nice clean professional look and the Control Panel Intergration is excellent. I prefer it 2 to 1 over any other. Matter of fact right now im configuring 4 sites for clients and they all are running XOOPS with custom templates.

A forum is just a mere fraction of a site.
My support and loyalty belongs to Xoops!

T-Tech
  • 2004/3/18 2:12

• T-Tech

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/3/3 1

Debates ... I love them!

The way I see this is pretty simple.

You either support the XOOPS project or you don't.
If you do and you have a REQUEST or perhaps a SUGGESTION on how to improve an XOOPS module in YOUR opinion, then I think thats great :)

Now, if you are on the flip side of this and would rather use a non XOOPS system/module, then do so. I really feel it is somewhat insulting to suggest intergrading such a thing when XOOPS has been built and prided on originality!

Xoops is such a strong system with a really devoted team behind it all, who would love nothing more then to hear suggestions on how things can be made better for the community. Simply put ask and you shall receive, but please don't underestimate this team by not even having the respect to suggest an upgrade or modification before assuming "Why bother just intergrade this".

Ahem ... and thats my two cents ... well maybe that was about 10 :)

Thanks, Danni :)

YourHelp
  • 2004/3/18 3:12

• YourHelp

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/6/9 6

I’ve always wanted to successfully integrate yabbse forum into xoops. Newbb is better but just doesn’t give the extra options that’s why I like yabb forums. However I have found a newbb XOOPS forum that gives loads more options but the module is only in Japanese which isn’t much good for me. If someone could translate it into English and other languages it would be a big hit module no doubt. You can check out NewBB Plus HERE.

amok200
  • 2004/3/18 3:18

• amok200

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/2/23

For me, the ability to pre-moderate posts (ie: check them before they are posted) is an absolute requirement. I could live with some of newbb's limitations, but not this one, so I went with the IPBM. IPB also looks much better.

That said, I will watch the newbb release with great interest.

Thanks,

Amok

Ampheta
  • 2004/3/19 14:46

• Ampheta

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/3/19

I would also love integration with SMF (Originally YABBSE)
I currently have a userbase of around 2000 members on my SMF forum, and would not like to have them all have to resubscribe...

Also can not really afford to lose all the information currently posted on my forum.

This is the ONE defining factor preventing me from using xoops, which appears to be the best cms system i have seen..... just a shame i can't afford to lose my forum :(

sol812
  • 2004/3/19 19:15

• sol812

• Just popping in

• Since: 2002/9/4 1

well; I hope members not begin attack other new and young members - I believe people have the right to speak open how they like - but follow the role of XOOPS website -not make attack /shot on anyboddy we need have a fair good dialog about everything in this community so we can lead the programmers to make better products - and open the eyes what the users like to see in future vertions of XOOPS - every serious user of XOOPS is very important voice for the dev team.

about the YABB subject I myself was starte again this tread - I undertand many members not undertand why we ( me) talk about ANOTER board - but try undertand it this way , YABB BBS was 1 of the first real free bbs boards out there who take the public with storm many years ago ( almost 5 years) I still drive a CGI/ perl board of YABB on 1 website ( sol812.com) is now 4 1/2 years old - but run fantastic - YABB and now phpBB board is "maybe" the 2 biggest and most famous BBS system out there who is free - YABB SE had a start problem how they had build the PHP vertion to be used inside a portal system - therefore a lot of portal users have phpBB but to be honest and if we look at the backup and service behind the YABB dev team - YABB SE ( Simplemachines.org) ( yabb with over 5 million + massive websites) and the CGI/perl vertion( YABBFORUM.COM) this people - most of them is back from the old BBS golden times and know about what people want of a BBS community - the programmers are really some of the best of the best out there and backup and service is in world class like XOOPS is it and a few other portal systems - and becourse of this A lot of schools and universitys, commercial companys have Used YABB as community board and will not change it - if XOOPS in future support this board ( and we know this will happen)we also able get 1000% more serious users Install the XOOPS portal - and the yabb people will not lose any data -
so in other words - I see only a bIG future for XOOPS and Yabb BBS board to work together - YABB php vertion the new 1.0 vertion also as 1 of the only one support sub categorys a sub under a sub ,sub,sub sub --> and so on - and ofcourse we will see later support for other big names of BBS board -
under XOOPS in future - .......

so this is why we need expand the support of more forums who also have a quality of backup - so the users also get future support and new vertions -

another BBS board Xforum have a beta vertion in test to work under XOOPS 2x - so we will see what happen on this front toohttp://www.trollix.com - but this forum is more a single man programming and not so fast development - but the older 1.82 vertion of xforum work very fast - ( under postnuke I not try under xoops.

end of history,,.)))

sorry my english I type fast - but I do hope we can get a lot of more dialog about the future of XOOPS users and witch bbs board will be working under it - I also know that Simplemachines.org developers maybe will help XOOPS dev team to make a module to BBS as I undertand - when stable vertion is out to public - more about the YABB ( simplemachine board is here for download www.simplemachines.org )

thank you
Sol812

Old bbs webmaster (

IShades
  • 2004/3/19 19:37

• IShades

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/2/20

Quote:

It was stated quite some time ago that other forum mods will not likely be added to the core (such as phpbb, yabbse, IPB, etc.) As great as these mods are, they would not reflect XOOPS as being original, from a core developers standpoint. The core team feels that using other development teams models would take away from the uniqueness of Xoops.

That being said, it doesn't mean that people outside of the core team will stop making modules of this type to give to the community at large.

Not very many details have been given about what new features the newbb will have but based on what I have seen, the core team has not only listened, they are close to releasing a very feature rich and easier to use forum to include with the core.

Originality 4 me :)
Besides I think someone in the simple machine forum is trying to make a module for xoops.

http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=385.0

SO if that is the case why ask these developers to do so.? Dont you think if they wanted to, they would have done so a long time ago?
Im not knocking yabbse or its members... But I love the fact XOOPS is independant :) - I think XOOPS would propel to greater heights by being original.

Afterall originality is priceless and XOOPS is on a role and attracting more and more users by being so everyday.
Yes indeed yabbse would bring more users, but as they say its always better to have Quality over quantity. - Just my 2 cents!

YourHelp
  • 2004/3/19 21:38

• YourHelp

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/6/9 6

Look foward to any progress on this topic

elvir
  • 2004/3/19 23:05

• elvir

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/1/4 1

Well folks,

i didn't know that it will go this far by running this topic. I can't forgive myself I ever have started this.

By posting the question about Yabb Se i didn't know some of you will act this way.

Anyhow, is there a chance we can stop this ? Arguing isn't the way !

Thanks ...

Stewdio
  • 2004/3/19 23:08

• Stewdio

• Community Support Member

• Since: 2003/5/7 1

Just a healthy debate, no argument here

Login

Who's Online

108 user(s) are online (85 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 108

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits