chippyash
Re: What OS would you recommend ?
  • 2004/3/5 11:29

• chippyash

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2004/1/29

Don't know why people say don't use Redhat. All my boxes run it (V8) except for a smoothwall firewall, and my production host runs on it too. I don't know a great deal about Linux but it runs good for me and means I can reutilise older boxes for dev and test purposes.

If you want a good little book on setting up a PHP based website, check out the Sams Teach Yourself title "PHP, MySQL and Apache in 24hrs" isbn 0-6723-2489-X I had mine running in under 5 hours from scratch, and then loaded up XOOPS and after a couple of false starts and a great deal of help from these XOOPS forums, I am now running 3 web sites in less than
a month! I know I'm impressed

Regards
Ashley

dheltzel
  • 2004/3/5 13:31

• dheltzel

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2003/1/8 1

I second the RedHat recommendation. I've run XOOPS on RH 8 and (currently) RH 9. XOOPS installs without any issues on both. I just use the Apache/PHP/MySql that comes with the distribution and upgrade to new RPM's as they are released.

I find it easy and fast, but then I've been compiling Linux kernels for more than 10 years, and find Linux much easier and more intuitive than any Windows version I've tried.

Like the other Linux folks here, I'd be happy to help if you need it.

Dennis

brash
  • 2004/3/5 14:15

• brash

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/4/10

Marcan,

Before you go rebuilding an entire server from scratch, perhaps we could try and analyze why you are having such troubles with the mail function. By the sounds of it you have tested sending mail via a few scripts with the same problem which would eliminate and Xoops/PHP config or coruption problem.

What are you using for SMTP, and how do you have it configured?

marcan
  • 2004/3/5 14:36

• marcan

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2003/10/8

Quote:
Before you go rebuilding an entire server from scratch, perhaps we could try and analyze why you are having such troubles with the mail function

This could be a good idea

Like I said, I tried almost every combination....

For now, the site 1 is using an smtp server on the same network. The smtp server is on a WINNT (yes, I know...) server runing exchange 5. I also tried to send mail with an external smtp server (my personnal ISP mail server) with the same slowlinesss...

The second site is using the above mentionned ISP mail server. Same result.

Any suggestion ?

Thanks for any help !

Login

Who's Online

230 user(s) are online (152 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 230

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits