MSIE 6: 76.6%
MSIE 5.5: 2.1%
MSIE 5.01: 1.6%
Netscape 7: 1.3%
Mozilla: 5.9%
Firebird: 3.1%
Opera: 2%
Safari: 1.2%

Remember that this is an open source developemnt project website. Lots of different browsers are used (I left those out because their percentage is minimal and irrelevant), but nearly 4% use MSIE 5.x. That doesn't seem like much, but it's still 3000 unique visitors, in one month...

Herko

MadFish
Re: Fonts render too big in IE5 - possible solution
  • 2004/1/8 11:15

• MadFish

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/9/27

I suspect that browser usage patterns will show a fair bit of difference between regions and possibly amongst different social groups as well, as they may upgrade their system more or less often.

We run a site catering to south and south east Asia. Our logfile shows 30% of our visitors are still using IE 5.x. We are not a gaming site, if we were it would probably be a different story

Panos
  • 2004/1/8 12:52

• Panos

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/3/20

Quote:

I wasn't going to answer your post, but hey... I'm having fun

Really? I hope you had a good laugh, eventhough the reason for doing so still eludes me. Oh well, I guess it depends on how each person reacts to a post...

Quote:

First of all I supposed that you would be able to read between the lines when I said 'everybody'. If I use 'omnipresent', would you then understand what I'm trying to say?

No, because the term 'omnipresent' is even more confusing and ambiguous. Herko provided us with some very nice stats btw. I cannot see the 'omnipresence' of IE 5.x there. Where is it? At least most of this site's visitors use IE 6, which has solved most of the problems IE 5.x was suffering from.

Quote:

Secondly implementing standards isn't done overnight. Back in 1999, when IE5 was launched, all browsers had lacking support for css1 and css2 (up until today even the W3C 'browser' Amaya, doesn't fully support css2).

Another false statement, in the sense that I am not talking about the lack of proper CSS support at the time these browsers were introduced, but what could have been done thereafter to improve CSS support. To my knowledge, Windows 2000, xService packs after still suffers from the same poor CSS support. At least, IE 6 does not.

Quote:

Thirdly, you may not be barring anyone, but UKDave is. When I said "you can do whatever you want" I wasn't refering to you barring anyone, but to you supporting UKDave's case (and of course you have the full right to do that).

I don't think that UkDave is barring everyone. Neither am I. I only stated that I too, prefer quality over quantity that is all. I would like my pages to be accessible by literally anyone. I am not discriminating against anyone. I have never done so and I will never will

Quote:

Let me finish by providing this link:
http://www.google.be/search?q=browser+stats&num=100

Browser stats may not be 100% reliable, but they may give you a hint of what the average Joe is using. I'll stick with Opera though

True. Browser stats are not nearly indicative of the truth, but they do provide a general idea of what 'the average Joe' is using. I too had to spoof my browser string through Mozilla, more than one times. I also once created a user.js file in my profile folder to override the default string and present Mozilla as 'ThunderButt Extrapolator'. I wonder if I am there somewhere too

Opera is a good choice. Not the best, but definitely better than IE for reasons other than rendering. However, since you claim in your profile that you are into DTP and Web design, then you should also know that the best browsers regarding positioning of elements and standards support are the Gecko-based ones.

Quote:

It was nice discussing with you!

Ciao

It was nice discussing with you as well, and I have yet to see the reason why you are getting so jumpy about the details. Don't be. I agree with most of what you have written so far.

Ciao e a presto... I suppose

ukdave
  • 2004/1/8 17:44

• ukdave

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/6/27

This is what I put in stop.html:

Your particular version of Internet Explorer does not fully support cascading
style sheets (.css) and is therefore too old to display our web pages
correctly. Click <font color="#0000FF">
<a href="http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/downloads/critical/ie6sp1/default.asp">HERE
</a></font>to update your browser.
--------------------------------------
This is what I put in stop2.html

Your particular version of the Netscape browser does not fully support cascading
style sheets (.css) and is therefore is too old to display our web pages
correctly. Click <font color="#0000FF">
<a href="http://channels.netscape.com/ns/browsers/download.jsp">HERE </a></font>to update your browser.
----------------------------------------

ukdave
  • 2004/1/24 17:30

• ukdave

• Just popping in

For some reason the code above stopped working for me, perhaps after a XOOPS upgrade. Anyway, here is the fix, just make a file called index.html, put the code below inside of it and then place it in your root directory.

Your web server should by default open index.html first so in this case it will open index.html and use the script to divert dodgy browsers to stop.html or stop2.html. Every other browser gets sent to index.php where it will find xoops.

Put whatever you want into the stop.html files, there are some examples above.

<script>
version=parseInt(navigator.appVersion);
if (navigator.appVersion.indexOf('5.')>-1){version=5};
if (navigator.appVersion.indexOf('6.')>-1){version=6};
if (navigator.appVersion.indexOf('7.')>-1){version=7};
browser='OTHER';
if (navigator.appName=='Netscape'){browser='NS'+version;}
if (navigator.appName=='Microsoft Internet Explorer'){browser='MSIE'+version;}
if (navigator.appVersion.indexOf('MSIE 3')>0) {browser='MSIE3';}
if(browser == 'NS5'){browser='NS6'};
if (browser=='MSIE3') {window.location='stop.html'}
if (browser=='MSIE4') {window.location='stop.html'}
if (browser=='MSIE5') {window.location='stop.html'}
if (browser=='MSIE6') {window.location='index.php'}
if (browser=='MSIE7') {window.location='index.php'}
if (browser=='NS3') {window.location='stop2.html'}
if (browser=='NS4') {window.location='stop2.html'}
if (browser=='OTHER') {window.location='index.php'}
</script>

wf4sure
  • 2004/2/24 15:50

• wf4sure

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2004/2/12

I was happy to find this suggestion, but it doesn't seem to work for me (I'm using XOOPS 2.0.6 and IE 5.5). The font is very large (broswer set to view text "medium") and the columns overlap. The columns and the fonts display fine in Netscape 7.1. In another thread, someone suggested setting headers bars and center columns to 98%, so I am going to try that as a way of dealing with the overlapping columns. Let me know if there is any special positioning for that font-size code. Thanks!

ukdave
  • 2004/2/24 16:52

• ukdave

• Just popping in

Follow this link to the updated fix.
https://xoops.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=16004&forum=2#forumpost69368

wf4sure
  • 2004/2/24 18:41

• wf4sure

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2004/2/12

OK--in 2.0.6 the style sheet to edit for the font size is xoops.css in the root directory. For the column overlap, it's themes/default/style.css . For a summary of what worked for me, see this post.

Login

Who's Online

149 user(s) are online (111 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 149

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits