svaha
Re: Publish in Home?
  • 2003/11/22 15:05

• svaha

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2003/8/2 2

I was talking about content. Content is handled by/through blocks. A block tells XOOPS where and how to place the content.
So if you place a recent news BLOCK on your mainpage / startpage (like I wrote above) XOOPS will place the CONTENT in that block and you will see CONTENT.
Give it a try

Aloha

Ps: you can see it on my site, tell me if that's what you want.

hsalazar
  • 2003/11/22 15:20

• hsalazar

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/2/6 1

vB3Dev:

Let my contribute my 2 cents here. Part of the confusion relies on the word "block". You say you want this and that content there, in the front page. Good. Now hear this: every piece of content that appears in a page does it inside a block. You're just not always aware of it.

So let's see. You have installed a News module [PFC Articles and News] as well as a Sections module [Columns] where you have several categories (your Views: Conservative, Liberal, Libertarian, Alternative and Objectivist). Let's see if I understand what you want.

Right now, if I click on PFC Articles and News I'm taken to... the News page, and there I see (or will see when there are more) the news teasers. Ok. If I click on Columns, I'm taken to the page with the topic names on it. Ok. You want the 5 latest news and the 5 latest columns to show in your homepage. Right?

If this is the case, it's easy. In the admin section you have an option to set a module as home page. Since in your site I'm not taken anywhere by default, I assume you have this set to "None". Ok. This said, you have a "top page" with no main module defined, but you want news and columns shown there. In order to do that, you need to define blocks to appear in the "top page".

Go to your blocks manager (Admin > Blocks) and look for the block called "Latest news". To its right there's an edit link. Click on it and you'll be able to define its features. Set it to display 5 stories, in a center-center block, and to appear only in the Top page. Then do the same with the relevant block created by the Sections module.

Now you have to make sure these blocks are set to be shown to anonymous users. Go to your users manager (Admin > Groups) and click on the anonymous user group. Then look for the blocks you just configured and tick their checkboxes so these users are granted permission to see the blocks.

That's it.

I hope this is helpful.

Cheers.

Anonymous
  • 2003/11/22 15:22

• Anonymous

• Since:

svaha
Thank you that did it. BUT the Special section stuff is still not showing up :(

Also it says News Topics
on the pulldown menue but I renamed that section and it did not take effect globally. Where do I fix it so it says:
PFC Articles & News

svaha
  • 2003/11/22 15:28

• svaha

• Just can't stay away

Ok, now for the special section stuff, it is done the same.
Find in the block menu a block called WF-section recent articles. Do the same thing as you did with the news block, then it will show up also.
You can decide which one to show up first (recent news or recent articles) by changing the weight in the blocks menu

Aloha

svaha
  • 2003/11/22 15:34

• svaha

• Just can't stay away

Changing the name :
Go to the administration menu
select blocks
select edit block : recent news
Change the title
done

Aloha

Anonymous
  • 2003/11/22 15:49

• Anonymous

• Since:

hsalazar, thanks much.

I still have a slight problem. The special section which i renamed to Columns does NOT show up on the Blocks Administration page thus I don;t see how to set it to set 5 of the last articles showing up on the front page :(

Thanks again for all your help.

Max

hsalazar
  • 2003/11/22 16:06

• hsalazar

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/2/6 1

vB3Dev:

Since I haven't used the Sections module for a long time, I'm not sure about whatever blocks it has defined, so all I can tell you about this is you should consider upgrading your Columns module to a more powerful module. I'd suggest WF-Section because it has all you need, but maybe you should wait a bit till Catzwolf releases the version now in the works. It'll be perfect for your wishes, and completely configurable.

Cheers.

Anonymous
  • 2003/11/22 16:20

• Anonymous

• Since:

Thank you very much. When is the new version due out?
I need to get my site done fast :(

Max

Herko
  • 2003/11/22 16:23

• Herko

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2002/2/4 1

There is no release date for the new wf-sections module. The developer, Catzwolf, who is also the Team Leader for Module Development, is working on making it bug free and advanced.

Herko

Anonymous
  • 2003/11/22 17:13

• Anonymous

• Since:

So will I be able to upgrade if I get the current version?

I really need to get my PFC site done so i can start building a huge community and sell ads etc.

Geeezus, I wish I were rich so I can spoil you guys. People like you makes the world a better place wheather you know it or not.

Login

Who's Online

160 user(s) are online (86 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 160

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits