anlace
Site Goes Completely Blank when News Module Loads - No Help Found In Forum
  • 2004/7/29 22:41

• anlace

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/7/27

Greetings,

I am having a puzzling problem with the News module. It was working fine, and then I imported a lot of articles into the MySQL database via phpMySQL. Now whenever anyone with any permissions for the site tries to view News, it takes a very long time to load and then a completely blank page comes up, no menus, absolutely nothing visible. I am using a brand new install of XOOPS 2.0.7 and News 1.2.

Here is what I've tried that didn't work:

Disable cache in the news module - I didn't see where to do this specifically for the news module, but I did disable it in preferences for the site.

Make sure you are not using a template other than default - did this and reset the site to no avail.

Updating the module didn't work.

Cleared the templates_c folder and left index.html.

php.ini is on the hosting server and not available for me to edit (turn register_globals=on).

Gzip is turned off in system preferences.

Re-uploading themes did not help.

All pertinent directories have the correct permissions set.

Server is running PHP 4.22.

I don't use any other CMS, XOOPS is my first.

Is it possible that something went screwy during my import? Is there something that I can look for within the database that might have caused this?

Any and all help is very much appreciated! I was very much liking what I was seeing with XOOPS until I couldn't see anything at all any more.

Thank you,
Gail

PHP Debugging returned these errors:
Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 18388608 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 42 bytes) in /home/lrs/lrsdatabase-www/class/database/databasefactory.php on line 23

Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 18388608 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 0 bytes) in Unknown on line 0

ackbarr
Re: Site Goes Completely Blank when News Module Loads - No Help Found In Forum

* Edit - finally read the end of your post and saw that you already turned on php debugging. Please ignore my "helpful" advice below.

Memory Exhaustion errors usually fall into 1 of 2 categories:
1. a programmer forgot to clear up memory they were using so php uses more memory than its configured limit. In this case we would need to know detailed information about the page(s) that cause this problem. Which news module page were you trying to access, what elements (blocks, themes, custom template set) are also used on this page.
2. many blocks and large elements being processed by php all at once. Try disabling some of the heavier blocks from displaying in the news module and see if that fixes the problem.
Worst case, see if the amount of memory for PHP can be increased to a slightly larger size.

Quote:

The xoops wiki site has a great article outlining some of the troubleshooting steps you can take when you get a blank page in xoops

The first step I do, if I can log into the site, is turn on php debugging mode in "Administration Menu" -> "System" -> "Preferences". Then try accessing the same pages again. The messages displayed (if any) will explain why php could not render the page. Sometimes the errors are self-explanatory, sometimes not so much

If you don't know what to do after getting these error messages, please post those messages in this thread and we will try to help you through the problem.

anlace
  • 2004/7/30 12:15

• anlace

• Just popping in

Good Morning,

Thanks for the advice, here are my findings:

1. I would be most happy to grant you admin access and even ftp access to the site if it would help with this issue and shed some light on it for you too. Let me know and I will send that info on to you via email. I'm not risking anything, the site is non-functional without the News module. The news module is the reason why I got XOOPS and I'm disappointed that it doesn't work (yet).

2. I disabled everything on the News page except login, user menu, and search (these things display just fine on the first page) and the news page still comes up totally blank with the same error message, so this seems to be ruled out.

As for increasing the amount of memory for PHP, I don't know how to do that. Would it be a question that I pose to the hosting company? Or something I change on the site? Which file would need to be modified?

Thank you for your help!
Gail

anlace
  • 2004/7/30 12:33

• anlace

• Just popping in

More error messages:

When adding a new article:
Warning [PHP]: array_push(): First argument should be an array in file class/module.textsanitizer.php line 113

This error is repeated 34 times underneath the page elements.

Catzwolf
  • 2004/7/30 13:20

• Catzwolf

• Home away from home

• Since: 2007/9/30

Quote:

anlace wrote:
More error messages:

When adding a new article:
Warning [PHP]: array_push(): First argument should be an array in file class/module.textsanitizer.php line 113

This error is repeated 34 times underneath the page elements.

Which version of the news module are you using?

There is a small bug in the $myts class that is causing this. I reported this months ago.

anlace
  • 2004/7/30 13:28

• anlace

• Just popping in

As I stated in my original post, I am using a new install of News 1.2.

I am now able to see the News page, I deleted all the imported records in the database and found that a setting was not right. I re-importing some csv files and when I try to read the articles I just imported, I cannot see them. I see the topic list but the menu pull down does not display any articles when clicked. Maybe another setting off in the database? I'll keep posting as I work on this.

Thanks to everyone replying.
Gail

hervet
  • 2004/7/30 15:02

• hervet

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/11/4

Gail,

Did you verified the topics permissions ?
Could you send me the csv file you are trying to import ?
My email adress is visible in my profile.

Bye,
Hervé

anlace
  • 2004/7/30 17:09

• anlace

• Just popping in

Hello Again,

Yes, I did verify permissions settings on all directories that need it. I am importing 46 csv files (the server is limited to 2 mb files at a time) for a total of 6608 articles. I would be happy to send you the first.

Thanks for your help,
Gail

hervet
  • 2004/7/30 17:41

• hervet

• Friend of XOOPS

ok, send me one file

hervet
  • 2004/7/30 18:14

• hervet

• Friend of XOOPS

Gail,

I had a look to the first file you sent me.
Where are they coming from ?
As it's a csv file, the delimiter used is the comma but many texts contains some commas so I really don't know how MySQL can import a such file in the tables. Everything must be mixed !
Don't search any more.

Do you have an other way to export your stories (something else than a csv file), if you are exporting your news from a MySQL file, export them as a sql dump.

Bye,
Hervé

Login

Who's Online

458 user(s) are online (68 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 458

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits