Duke_Henry
Custom menu link (not block)
  • 2004/7/30 15:04

• Duke_Henry

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/7/30

Is there a way to create a custom link in perhaps the MAIN MENU that will direct users to a page that follows the same template incorporated within the rest of the site.

Sort of like a sections or news page?

I want to add some custom "areas" to a XOOPS site, but don't want users to have to go to a SECTIONS or ARTICLES page, when they could go directly to a link which could take them to a page either within a SECTION or something else...

I do not want to create a whole block, just a link within main menu...(or even create a separate menu and then put such link(s) in it).

Thanks

Stewdio
Re: Custom menu link (not block)
  • 2004/7/30 15:24

• Stewdio

• Community Support Member

• Since: 2003/5/7 1

You could alter the appearance of your mainmenu through the template system, although this is a sort of a messy way to do things (imo). I would recommend using MultiMenu. Although it is technically a block, the effect is simple in that it will allow you to point to other pages with links on the left or right hand site like the rest of your module links.

I have a simple example up on my site. I've used this module with success on all sites I am currently working on.

jmass
  • 2004/7/30 15:30

• jmass

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/12/18

Those would both work... but like you said are rather messy.

I would create a skeleton module that basically only creates a main menu entry. From there you can link the main menu entry to what ever you want.

I got this originally from

http://www.macambridge.com

but I could not find it again to give you a link to such a skeleton module. If you are stuck I can find one I downloaded before.

It is much cleaner than editing the template IMHO.

JMass

martyboy
  • 2004/7/30 15:42

• martyboy

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2004/5/25

Like stewdio said, I reccomend MultiMenu, I also use it on my site so all my custom pages, i.e freecontent pages and specific articles within sections can be linked to from this custom menu.

You have to make sure you use MultiMenu 1.1 though as the other versions didnt seem to work properly, you can find it in the Brasil modules pack in downloads.

jmass
  • 2004/7/30 15:55

• jmass

• Friend of XOOPS

Am I correct in assuming that the "Leave your mark" section of the left column is the MultiMenu? If so, this may not always be acceptable.

As an example:

http://www.etonacademy.org

I needed a seamless main menu. I had to work within the module creation method to do so. I could have used Imenu and hid the main menu, but that would have been more work.

The question specifically asked about not having it in a seperate block. I assume that this is important.

Of course, I could be way off base here, but that is my two cents. (I may have change coming)

JMass

Duke_Henry
  • 2004/7/30 18:05

• Duke_Henry

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/7/30

Thanks a lot, I will check out Multimenu.

I actually have been thinking about it and if I had to have a separate menu, that wouldn't be a big deal at all.

Whatever works!

Thanks

iolai
  • 2004/7/30 19:03

• iolai

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2004/6/26

I use Tigra Menu, it rocks.
Our site is not 100% functioning yet, but you can look at it at dune.servint.com/newsite/html/index.php (yes, need to add index.php for now).

jmass
  • 2004/7/30 21:54

• jmass

• Friend of XOOPS

That is a pretty cool menu!

Nice looking theme too.

JMass

Login

Who's Online

402 user(s) are online (129 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 402

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits