RicoCali
Draven's close left/right panel
  • 2004/7/28 7:27

• RicoCali

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2002/7/29

Once again I like to reiterate the best XOOPS site ever with no one remotely close touching it (hands down). Draven's Gaining-Mass website. What I would like to know is the close left/right panel hack is available. Otherwise, I'll just hack it myself.

Thanks,
Rico

koertzen
Re: Draven's close left/right panel
  • 2004/7/28 8:25

• koertzen

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/10/22

I think it's also very interesting. A quick look at the source shows that it's part of the Gaining Mass theme (theme/gm).

Naughty Draven, however, has not hidden the files from prying eyes, such as mine. I right clicked on the close left tab, and found that, sure enough, it's an icon. Click on properties to find where the icon is located. You can copy the link and paste it in your browser to take a look at the location (and to find if there is an index.html or other method hiding it from view). So until Draven reads this post (which I hope he does soon), you can find the code for the theme athttp://gaining-mass.com/themes/gm/. I haven't downloaded the files yet, but I'm sure that the code you are seeking is there!

Mithrandir

Please note that gaining-mass.com looks bad in Mozilla - before you base too much of your work on it. I don't know what's causing this, though.

koertzen
  • 2004/7/28 9:37

• koertzen

• Just popping in

I noticed the same problem. Sorry I didn't mention it (I was using Firefox on the PC and Safari on the Mac).

The code calls for a simple display hide/show, but I don't think that is particularly causing the mozilla problem. (The problem that I had in Mozilla is that the left nav took up almost the entire screen no matter what module was selected, and you have to scroll to the right to see the actual module content as well as the right nav panel.)

djsckizo
  • 2004/7/28 9:42

• djsckizo

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2003/5/9 8

that feature is available in the theme made for use with the Invision Board Module too...I don't remember what the name of it was but I believe it is athttp://www.bbpixel.com

JMorris
  • 2004/7/28 11:18

• JMorris

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/4/11

The ipb theme he is refering to is by PetitOOps - modify by RB, and yes is available at BB Modules Dev.

The show/hide left/right columns is a simple javascript placed in the head tags, with a simple on-click tag in the header. Personally, I thought it was a brilliant idea.

My only complaint is that the column does not stay hiden across page views. In other words, if you click hide, then navigate to another page, the column is there again. You have to keep clicking hide. There may be a way to store your preference in a cookie, but I'm not sure how it would be done.

koertzen
  • 2004/7/28 11:22

• koertzen

• Just popping in

Thanks for the heads-up. I think I would try and use a global variable instead of a cookie. Wouldn't that work better?

JMorris
  • 2004/7/28 11:27

• JMorris

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/4/11

I supose it would. If you get it to work, would you mind sharing the code?

Herko
  • 2004/7/28 11:44

• Herko

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2002/2/4 1

Hsalazar's excellent MP00 theme also has this hide/show feature. For more infor on this theme, see this news.

Herko

hmagoo
  • 2004/8/28 10:54

• hmagoo

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/7/31

I've been looking into possibilities to get this working all day now. (hide/show columns).. I was able to look at the code that is in the mp00 theme and fit that feature into the theme that I am using, and it worked nice. But, the big obstacle for me is that it writes no cookies and only lasts until another link is clicked. It's also a bit messy in Firefox, but I would tolerate that if I could get cookies working with it.

So, I went looking around and found a nice script from scriptygoddess and spent some time trying to get it to work in XOOPS. I think though the structure of XOOPS and its templates is preventing me from getting it working. But, that really looks like a perfect script, because it refreshes when you hide/show preventing any cumulative browser blunders. And it already has the cookie functions as a primary feature.

If anyone else is interested in getting this to work feel free to share your knowledge. I think it would be a nice addition to most sites. I posted a detailed article about my recent efforts to get it working, at my blog Hugophonic.com. That concerns the mp00 script and adding cookie functionality, but honestly if anyone could get the scriptygoddess code to work in XOOPS that would be even better.

Thanks. Hugh

Login

Who's Online

162 user(s) are online (112 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 162

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits