arbaronx
xoops & oscommerce shared username
  • 2004/7/19 23:58

• arbaronx

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/12/8

Has anyone found a way to use a XOOPS username integrated with xoops-oscommerce, so the user doesnt have to re-register into oscommerce?

tom
Re: xoops & oscommerce shared username
  • 2004/7/20 0:18

• tom

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2002/9/21

At present there is no released version, however in short yes it has been done, there are various sites, which have this working, although they have not release there modules, I'm not sure if they will either?

I also have this module in beta version at present, and it works by registering on xoops, then requesting additional information in OSC before check out. again, this is no where near release though.

Sorry I couldn't help further.

there is more info in these forums, do a search for subscription, and paypal>

Take care

arbaronx
  • 2004/7/21 21:44

• arbaronx

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/12/8

Tom,
taa heaps for your answer mate
appreciate it.
will have to trudge along with XOOPS and oscommerce as is

cheers
arbaronx

tom
  • 2004/7/21 23:22

• tom

• Friend of XOOPS

Not meaning to be negative, but I would really urge and advise against using it in a production site thats live, you must bear in mind that the latest release was only the second beta, hence it may and most probably will contain many bugs and possibly security issues.

I currently use a seperate version (stand-a-lone OSC) with ssl for production, to ensure it's secure for my customers.

At the end of the day it is your choice and I wish you luck either way.

Take care

intel352
  • 2004/7/22 2:07

• intel352

• Module Developer

• Since: 2003/11/23

yes, i would be concerned with security and session management as well. and it doesn't appear to be moving past the 2nd release, tho we can hope (it's been quite awhile since that release)

m0nty
  • 2004/7/22 6:47

• m0nty

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/10/24

in my opinion, it is better to keep the shop seperate..

it is more secure in a sense..

also it gives the picture of being more secure to your potential customers, by them having to register for a shop if they want to use it and having a seperate login for the main site keeps both accts seperate and thus credit card info will not then be accessible to any1 who may gain access to a users account on your site..

tom
  • 2004/7/22 8:01

• tom

• Friend of XOOPS

@ Monty

I agree in essence with what you are saying regarding separate logins, however with back up a SSL and a note explaining (for the noobs), then security would be shown anyway.

The reason why most want a shop integrated is the ease of use and convenience for members, there's nothing worse than having to sign up 2 or more times to a site.

I see your point especially with storing credit card info on file, however I think the majority or at least the smaller companies (less secure maybe?) would use something like paypal, nochex, secpay, worldpay, etc, etc, where them companies take payment, hence no need for a site owner to store critical information from customers, as it done and process by that third party, but still theres the issue of 'Data Protection', and why security is needed.

Of course this is only my opinion.

fredski
  • 2004/7/22 8:16

• fredski

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2004/1/26

I'm using the OSC module and have set it up so that users do not have an account in OSC but have to enter credit card details on each transaction with a third party payment gateway, our current customers prefare it this way as they like knowing that no information is held on the site about them, their purchases and their card details.

At the end of the day there are more people worried about having the card details on a site than there is people bothered about entering their card details on a once per purchase basis on a well known gateway. Worried people means LOST sales. And I'd rather limit my lost sales to the lesser of the two :)

tom
  • 2004/7/22 9:04

• tom

• Friend of XOOPS

As I mentioned in another thread, I found a nuke site with OSC intergrated already, well here's another one (totally different site):

PHPNukeServices

An area other nukes have already grasped, I believe there was also a few for postnuke, one called posttep. I believe even Typo3 has some sort of OSC (don't quote me, quick scans where done there)

Login

Who's Online

257 user(s) are online (180 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 257

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits