mj62mj62
Re: One last chance before moving to PHPNuke
  • 2004/7/20 6:43

• mj62mj62

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2004/7/14

**WOW!**

The number of responses is amazing. I will try all of these things.

Thank You So Much!! XOOPS does seem so much better than the rest and I'll be happy to use it if this works out.

Someone asked for the 'relevant' info from phpinfo(). It's a very big webpage. Which bits should I send?

Lastly, it was also asked if the MySQL tables got setup. I can confirm that the database was create and the tables were created. I didn't check to see if they were populated, but I'm sure they were as it was all 'green boxes' during the install.

I'll begin trying these suggestions right away.

Thanks again!!
Matt

mj62mj62
Fixed the looping admin screen problem.
  • 2004/7/20 11:50

• mj62mj62

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2004/7/14

Hello!

Well, I tried Mithrandir's suggestion of adding:

function xoops_refcheck($docheck=1) {
return true;
//previous code
}

to my include/function.php file and sure enough, that got me past the stage of the 'looping first-time-admin screen'.

Then I tried someone else's suggestion of using e-novative's WAMP software (PHP, Apache, MySQL all in one).

Now everything works like a charm -- without the code changes as listed above.

I highly recommend WAMP as it installed everything so incredibly quickly and made everything work together like a charm... :)

Thank you all for your suggestions!!!

A few recommendations would be:

- including WAMP in the suggested list of Web Servers
- adding a check to the installer to see if http referrers are working properly.

I'm so impressed by the communities quick response. In turn, I will respond by making a donation. In no time at all I've setup a great website here that we are really happy with. I'm glad to support such a great open source project.

Thank you all,
Matt

Digiegirl
Re: Fixed the looping admin screen problem.
  • 2004/7/20 12:04

• Digiegirl

• Just popping in

• Since: 2002/8/23

Glad you got everything fixed Matt, and pleased to see you'll be sticking around! I used PHPNuke and Postnuke previously as well, been using XOOPS for 2 years now, and haven't looked back

Good Luck with your site!

Cheers,
Dee

intel352
  • 2004/7/20 14:30

• intel352

• Module Developer

• Since: 2003/11/23

same, i'm glad you're happy with it and it's working, because i used php/nsn-nuke for quite awhile, and the difference between XOOPS & nuke is amazing (community, advanced coding styles, tighter security)

xoops rules

talunceford

Glad you got it figured out and decided to stick around!!

mikem
  • 2004/7/30 21:11

• mikem

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/7/30

Quote:
If that solves it, it is a matter of your HTTP referrer being blocked by *something*. You say you don't have a personal firewall, but perhaps something else is blocking the sending of HTTP referrers.

Perfect. I just installed XOOPS today on my WinXP laptop, and encountered this problem. After searching the forums, I read your message, which made a light bulb pop up over my head: ZoneAlarm!

I shutdown ZoneAlarm, and that immediately fixed the problem - everything seems to work fine now.

Maybe this should go into the FAQ or something.

To the original poster - do you (or did you) happen to have ZoneAlarm (or a similar product) installed?

Anyway, thanks for the suggestion.

Mike Mills

intel352
  • 2004/7/30 21:20

• intel352

• Module Developer

• Since: 2003/11/23

mikem, you're switching to xoops? or just trying it out?

anyways, nice to see you here!
this is intel352 from *nuke, hehe.

for anyone that doesn't know, mikem is a good theme creator from php-nuke, he'd be a good person to have in the XOOPS community, hint hint

JMorris
  • 2004/7/31 0:29

• JMorris

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/4/11

RE: NTFS permissions....

Open the root directory of your website. Right-click on cache, templates_c, and uploads directories and select properties (one at a time of course). Make sure that the "Read-only", "System", and "Archive" attributes are NOT set.

I've seen this create a very similar problem of looping or breaking Xoops. It's usually the simple stuff. Been running XOOPS on XP Pro and 2K Pro for quite some time with no problem.

"I shutdown ZoneAlarm, and that immediately fixed the problem - everything seems to work fine now."

The problem is not Xoops, it's your server. I use ZoneAlarm as well. It doesn't like XSAS [Xoops Stand-Alone Server]. Switched to easyPHP 1.7 and haven't had the first problem. easyPHP is also a lot easier to convert to a production server. XSAS would not be a good choice for production IMHO. Incidently, I have ZoneAlarm set for maximum security because I'm paranoid. Never caused one problem with Xoops.

mikem
  • 2004/7/31 1:46

• mikem

• Just popping in

Quote:
for anyone that doesn't know, mikem is a good theme creator from php-nuke, he'd be a good person to have in the XOOPS community, hint hint

Well, thanks for the compliment, but unfortunately, I think you have the wrong 'mikem'. I haven't even used php-nuke...but, see, I guess I'm smart for starting with XOOPS, right??

Regards,

Mike

mikem
  • 2004/7/31 2:12

• mikem

• Just popping in

Quote:
The problem is not Xoops, it's your server. I use ZoneAlarm as well. It doesn't like XSAS [Xoops Stand-Alone Server]. Switched to easyPHP 1.7 and haven't had the first problem. easyPHP is also a lot easier to convert to a production server. XSAS would not be a good choice for production IMHO. Incidently, I have ZoneAlarm set for maximum security because I'm paranoid. Never caused one problem with Xoops.

I didn't mean to imply the problem is with XOOPS. I was simply commenting that turning ZoneAlarm off fixed the problem.

Also, by the way, I'm using Apache 1.3.29, PHP 4.3.6, and XOOPS 2.0.7.

In any case - should it *in principle* work OK with ZoneAlarm, or a personal firewall product in general? Is the problem likely configuration, or a bug with Apache 1.3.29, PHP 4.3.6, or ZoneAlarm?

Regards,

Mike

Login

Who's Online

166 user(s) are online (96 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 166

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits