davidl2
Commisioned Modules
  • 2004/6/30 6:33

• davidl2

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/5/26

Following on from this post:
https://xoops.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?viewmode=flat&topic_id=21570&forum=4

Would any module developers be interested in developing modules for money? How would the ownership be effected, with the "rules" of GPL etc...?

This isn't just for myself - although I do have a few small things I would love to see... but although I don't mind spending out a little towards them ... but then of course the code is available for free for other people.

Perhaps a nice big "Project commisioned by" credit throughout the code? :)

Ideas and thoughts people?

As for myself - I would love to see:

A membership module (almost 2 projects are completed - so thats good!)
An improved forum (again - NewBB is getting a facelift - so this is not needed)
A Fan-fiction engine.... perhaps it is possible for a customisation of WF-Sections? Or one of the review modules?
A discography module ?

Anonymous
Re: Commisioned Modules
  • 2004/6/30 6:46

• Anonymous

• Since:

Keep this Topic at the top! *smile*

I would like to see...

1. Integrated Classified Module (Dating, Real Estate, Automobile, Home/Aparment Find...etc. etc.)
2. Better put together Calendar of Events module
3. Improved Web Directory

davidl2
  • 2004/6/30 7:00

• davidl2

• XOOPS is my life!

EQ - following from your other post here:
https://xoops.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=21570&forum=4&post_id=94302#forumpost94302

I would also agree that a small fee of around 5-10 dollars would be very reasonable for a good module. If enough people want it, the module author will do okay out of it.

People are more likely to copy a more expensive module... and give it out without paying.....

What gets copied more - singles or albums? Its the same logic I suppose.

I still think that good work should be rewarded however! :)

Mithrandir

I personally don't mind being paid for developing modules.
I don't like to put up modules and charge for them, but development takes time and time is money, so if a developer doesn't get a contract to work on a module, but develops it him or herself, I don't see anything wrong in making it available for a fee as long as it follows the GPL and does not restrict the buyer's freedom to do with the code what he or she wants - even if it means putting it up for free download somewhere else.

What I don't like is themes being put up for download for free, but only if an original link in the output is kept. To me a theme is GPL just like a module and credits in comments must be kept, but not on the output. That's a different discussion, though.

Anything I develop for a client will be passed on to the client with full rights to do whatever he or she pleases. I keep a copy myself of course to base future work on, but I usually do not release it for free download on my site unless the client agrees to that. Whether the client puts it up for free download is not my business.

davidl2
  • 2004/6/30 7:09

• davidl2

• XOOPS is my life!

Sounds very fair to me :)

Again - I don't mind paying a little for a "removal fee" of a good themes refferal link... Mind you, I'd be interested to see how many people use the links on themes upon visiting a site. The people who would understand what a theme is, and what XOOPS is, would have already visited this site anyway - I would have thought? :)

BTW - how much do you charge for a quote on work Mithrandir? :)

Mithrandir

Well, as I said I think a theme is covered by the GPL and that the developer cannot demand anything more than that the original credits are left intact - these could be in the code comments - restricting the use of the software is against the GPL.

However, if a theme is really good, I feel it is not good tone to remove the link AND not pay a voluntary donation to the thememaker. There's a big difference between voluntary and forced, though.

Regarding work: I don't charge for a quote. On larger projects I charge for a requirements specification, but that's only to be paid if the client chooses another developer for the actual work. It's my policy that there has to be some kind of benefit for the customer before any payment, so just charging for the act of giving a quote is not fair, I feel, unless I in the process make a product for the client. This product could be a structured requirements specification, with which the client can go elsewhere.

Herko
  • 2004/6/30 7:54

• Herko

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2002/2/4 1

Quote:

Mithrandir wrote:
Well, as I said I think a theme is covered by the GPL and that the developer cannot demand anything more than that the original credits are left intact - these could be in the code comments - restricting the use of the software is against the GPL.

However, if a theme is really good, I feel it is not good tone to remove the link AND not pay a voluntary donation to the thememaker. There's a big difference between voluntary and forced, though.

I'd like to add to this that this goes for the code only: images are automatically copyrighted to the creator, and thus do not fall under the GPL. So a designer can restrict the use of his/her images, but not the theme code itself.

Herko

MadFish
  • 2004/6/30 8:03

• MadFish

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/9/27

Quote:
I would also agree that a small fee of around 5-10 dollars would be very reasonable for a good module. If enough people want it, the module author will do okay out of it.

I agree, but due to the nature of the GPL, selling a module to individual people is pretty difficult, as they are entitled to give it away to everyone else for free. So it may be easier to try and get a group of interested community members to put in 5-10 dollars each 'up front' to commission the development of the module - and then release it to the community.

This would also lets you test the level of interest in a module before proceeding - hopefully the modules with the highest demand (ie. those 'most needed' by the community) would attract the most support. And if noone is willing to pay then you know not to build it

Mithrandir

Quote:

Herko Coomans wrote:
Quote:

Mithrandir wrote:

I'd like to add to this that this goes for the code only: images are automatically copyrighted to the creator, and thus do not fall under the GPL. So a designer can restrict the use of his/her images, but not the theme code itself.

Herko
That is correct. However, a theme maker can in my eyes not force someone to keep an image in a theme - only restrict how the image will be used elsewhere.

MadFish
  • 2004/6/30 10:02

• MadFish

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/9/27

Mithrandir, would it be possible to set up a poll on the XOOPS site to gauge the level of community support for community-commissioned modules ? If there is enough support then we have a basis for trying to progress things.

Login

Who's Online

170 user(s) are online (81 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 170

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits