barryc
Inconsistent browser behavior
  • 2004/6/30 3:10

• barryc

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2004/3/20

I have been working on a XOOPS site and have recently noticed some disturbing inconsistencies in behavior between browsers. For example:

On a brand new PC running Windows XP and MSIE (latest versions), when I try to modify a XOOPS installation, such as inactivating a module, I get an error message. Similarly, I get an error message when trying to register a user, either from the home page (as a new user would) or from the edit user option in the admin pages, when logged in as admin. On a PC running earlier version of XP and IE, I don't have this problem. Using Safari on a Mac OS X 10.3 machine, I don't have these problems.

In the Agendax module, the drop down calendar selector that one uses to insert a date for an item works differently on just about every browser I've tried. On the new XP machine mentioned above, clicking on the icon for the selector does nothing; on the older machine it works, but the calendar selector is spread across the whole page; on Netscape on the new machine it works, but is also spread across the page; on my Mac OS X 10.3 machine using Safari, the selector calendar has the correct appearance, but inserts a fragment of code instead of the date; NS on the Mac works, but spreads the selector across the window.

These inconsistencies are a real concern, particularly those that seem to involve the base XOOPS system. Has anyone experienced similar problems, and is there a solution?

Thanks,

Barry Cooper

Mithrandir
Re: Inconsistent browser behavior

I cannot speak on behalf of the AgendaX module - some differences between browsers may not have been considered in the templating.

Regarding the errors you get, which error messages do you get? Do you have a software firewall, which is blocking HTTP Referrers? This will prevent most database changes such as module updates and deactivations and user edit/adding.

m0nty
  • 2004/6/30 8:25

• m0nty

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/10/24

i would tend to agree with mithrandir here, i use the latest xp and msie and don't have those problems regarding the XOOPS functions. neither do i have them in any other browser..

altho with the agendaX module, i too get the code instead of the filesize limit, but the icon for the date selector works fine in MSIE (latest)

but regarding agendax you'd be better diverting your queries to the module developer i think WJUE is the developer of AgendaX

barryc
  • 2004/6/30 17:06

• barryc

• Just can't stay away

Thanks for replying. I appreciate your help. I am typing this reply for the second time because i had the same problem of a function not working from my PC. In other words, the problem that I'm having is not specific to my XOOPS site. When I tried to post the reply from my XP machine, I got an error message "Could not post message" or words to that effect. This second attempt is coming from my Mac OS X machine.

I am having this problem on a brand new Dell 8300 running XP. I do have firewalls installed. I have a DSL router that includes a firewall and I run Norton Internet Security Pro 2004. The firewall in the latter is turned off and I check XP's firewall and it is unchecked. Turning all firewalls off does not cure the problem.

To test the system I have used the register link on the home page of my XOOPS development site. When I try to register I can fill out the form and when I click Submit, the user name, email and time zone are displayed. when I click Finish, I get an error message "Could not register user" I get the same error message when I try to register a user while logged in as admin. I get the same error if I try to register using Netscape 7.0. If I try to register from my old PC, also running XP and MSIE and on the same home LAN, it works. The versions of XP and MSIE are earlier, but IE is still version 6. If I register from my Mac, it also works, even when the router firewall is in place.

It appears that this problem is peculiar to the new XP machine. I think there must be some setting in XP or the browsers that is different and interfering with the running of the scripts in Xoops. However, for the life of me I can't figure out what it is. If you have any other suggestions of where to look, I'd really like to hear them.

Thanks,

Barry

barryc
  • 2004/7/3 1:19

• barryc

• Just can't stay away

There were no more replies to this, but I figured there MUST be some other firewall-like activity going on on my machine, so I started to dig. The solution seems too simple in retrospect.

As previously stated, I run Norton Internet Security Pro 2004. I had the firewall turned off, as I have a hardware firewall. However:

In NISPro there are other firewall-like functions. In particular there is Privacy Control. By default, this blocks sending of web browser information. If you click Custom Levels and uncheck Browser Privacy, it allows the browser to properly communicate with XOOPS and you can register, edit accounts and so on in a normal way. My old machine had NIS2003, so the 2004 edition may be more rigorous.

As a lot of people run NISPro, or similar, I think it is important to have on record that there are functions other than the personal firewall that can block proper communication between a browser and Xoops.

Barry Cooper

Login

Who's Online

209 user(s) are online (149 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 209

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits