MisterB
Registration/Membership Management Question
  • 2004/5/24 13:38

• MisterB

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/5/24

Dear All

I am new to XOOPs and still trying to get my head around what everything does and what modules I need.

Basically, I want to use XOOPS to run a website for a membership based charity organisation (with limited funds!). On this basis, I will have some general pages viewable by everyone (eg information on joining), but then discussion boards, full member contact details etc available only to registered members. So far, so good - I think that I have managed this with having two tinycontent duplicatable modules running - one when people are not registered, the other accessible when they are (if there is an easier way, please let me know!).

A couple of questions:

1. Is there a way to have 2 versions of the login block - one that all people see that DOES NOT have the "Register Now" link in it (to stop all and sundry signing up!). The other would be where members that have joined the organisation would be sent the link to join. Alternatively, is there a way to remove the "Register Now" from the login block? I could then send the page link to register.php to people once they are given permission to join.

ANSWER DISCOVERED
Find file ../modules/system/blocks/system_blocks.php

Find line $block['lang_registernow'] = _MB_SYSTEM_RNOW;
and // out. I also removed the final line in /modules/system/templates/blocks/system_block_login.htmland also remove from theme.html (using Hiweed-blue) as it also appeared in the header

2. Is XOOPS FAQ module duplicatable, as I want a different one for members once they are logged in?

3. Is there a module that can be used for easily maintaining a members address list (name, contact details etc). Ideally, this would be based on an adapted "register" page to avoid having to enter details more than once. Alternatively, what files other than register.php would have to me changed so that register page could include address, postcode etc and these feed through into the database? Inside XOOPs and looking at the Members list, it may be possible to change ICQ, AIM, YIM etc for other headings?

4. Within the Members section, is there a way of separating members into groups? I effectively have an Executive Committee, Voting Members and Non-voting members that I would like to list as sub-headings. I have amended one of the settings so that members are listed (using search results).

5. I have read WIKI (7.5. How to show HTML pages inside XOOPS) about including other HTML pages within the XOOPS template and have settled on Tinycontent BUT how do you include an external HTML or PHP page in the body (I am not trying to pinch anyone else's content - for info I have a Mailman discussion list set up for the site and want it to appear within the same layout, as I could not find a mailing list/Mailman hack for use within the XOOPs environment).

I hope someone can help as I have been tearing my hair out trying to work out the above. If I manage to work them out myself I will amend this message.

Kind regards

MisterB

Fritz
Re: Registration/Membership Management Question
  • 2004/5/24 15:01

• Fritz

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/5/5 1

MisterB,

I am fairly new to XOOPS as well, but I can give a general answer to the topic as a whole because I'm working on a non-profit site where I need to do the exact same kinds of things.

At this point, there doesn't seem to be an easy way to modify the Membership Registration to do what we want, though customizable registration is planned for the next major release of XOOPS.

So far I haven't found a separate module for membership administration either.

Within XOOPS you can assign members to groups, and then assign different groups different priviledges throughout the site.

Removing the "Register Now" from the Log In block should be a matter of going into the Administration -> Templates and finding the right block and editing it. Please note that before you can edit templates in the Templates administration section you must clone the Template Set, edit the cloned set, and choose the cloned set as the default set in Administration -> Preferences. If you do a few searches in the forums, you will find more about how to do this.

Additionally, since you are a beginner like me, please note that the templates you see in the Templates administration are stored in the database, even though there are file versions within the XOOPS folder. You cannot make changes to the files in the templates_c folder. You have to make the changes within the Templates adminstration so that the database is updated.

Anyway, I am planning to build my own membership administration module in the near future, but it could be three months before I can complete it. If you're interested, we could talk about what it should do.

Hope someone with more knowledge sheds more light on this subject, including a timeline for the next version and what kind of membership administration features it will have.

Thanks!

MisterB
  • 2004/5/27 20:12

• MisterB

• Just popping in

Dear All

In an earlier message I asked:
Quote:

3. Is there a module that can be used for easily maintaining a members address list (name, contact details etc). Ideally, this would be based on an adapted "register" page to avoid having to enter details more than once. Alternatively, what files other than register.php would have to me changed so that register page could include address, postcode etc and these feed through into the database? Inside XOOPs and looking at the Members list, it may be possible to change ICQ, AIM, YIM etc for other headings?

Fritz kindly responded with some ideas and you will note from my edit, the "Click here to register" problem is now solved.

On point 3, I tried editing the Addresses 1.7 module and did reasonably well, but asked whether it would be possible to use this as the registration. rabideau commented this would probably take some programming.

Not being a programmer, I have come up with a half-way house based on my original message that serves my needs.

I have edited the files serving the user pages. Rather than going through and recoding, I have tried to keep it simple by changing the use of existing fields (ICQ, AIM etc) which were beyond the needs on my site. I have amended the following:

1. In ../language/english/user.php change

define('_US_ICQ','Organisation');
define('_US_AIM','Department');
define('_US_YIM','Address');
define('_US_MSNM','City');
define('_US_LOCATION','County');
define('_US_OCCUPATION','Post Code');
define('_US_INTEREST','Phone');

2. In .. /modules/system/language/english/admin
users.php
findusers.php

change
define("_AM_ICQ","Organisation");
define("_AM_AIM","Department");
define("_AM_YIM","Address");
define("_AM_MSNM","City");
define("_AM_LOCATION","County");
define("_AM_OCCUPATION","Postcode");
define("_AM_INTEREST","Phone");

3. In ../user.php

define('_US_ICQ','Organisation');
define('_US_AIM','Department');
define('_US_YIM','Address');
define('_US_MSNM','City');
define('_US_LOCATION','County');
define('_US_OCCUPATION','Post Code');
define('_US_INTEREST','Phone');

4. in ../edituser.php

Find
if ($op == 'editprofile') {

About 23 lines after this, a line begins $icq_text
From (and including) that line, change the first and second number in brackets to increase the size of the text box appearing for users (I have used 40, 100 as default for all).

5. In MySQL, in xoops_users edit the field size to 100 (or whatever you set at maximum in 4 above) for ICQ, AIM, YIM etc. that you have amended (to allow for more text to be entered)

There you go - it is rough and ready but it does the job for registration and is already linked into the core XOOPS system.

Hope this helps someone else.

MisterB

damjam
  • 2004/6/1 17:42

• damjam

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/3/30

Fritz -- I have similar needs for a new site I'm building, which happens to be in our mutual home state!http://oklahomacycling.net.

I want to modify the member's profiles so my members can create profiles that show their individual cycling interests... number and type of bicycles owned, favorite rides, etc.

I'm interested in anything you might be able to share that would point the way. Thanks.

Jim

ReCkage
  • 2004/6/1 20:18

• ReCkage

• Just popping in

I had someone create a feature that the user places themselves in a group guring registration. It ask the user what group they belong to and places them in it.

Keep looking in the hacks, for the next few days, I will get them to also write up on how to edit and add features to the registration menu.

MisterB
  • 2004/6/3 19:47

• MisterB

• Just popping in

With reference to point 1 (stopping anyone registering unless invited), you also need to remove the following line from user.php in the root directory:

$xoopsTpl->assign('lang_notregister', _US_NOTREGISTERED);

I wondered why after doing all the amendments listed in my earlier message I was still getting people registering who I had not invited It turns out that clicking on the lost password, or any page on the menu bar that needed you to log in, redirects to this user.php page which then asked, "Not registered? Click here"!! Solved!

Kind regards

Mister B

Fritz
  • 2004/6/7 19:53

• Fritz

• Just popping in

DamJamJim,

I would be happy to keep you up to date on my progress, and I might have a few questions for you that will help me in the development process.

Keep in touch.

Fritz

JohnCVermont

Quote:
5. I have read WIKI (7.5. How to show HTML pages inside XOOPS) about including other HTML pages within the XOOPS template and have settled on Tinycontent BUT how do you include an external HTML or PHP page in the body (I am not trying to pinch anyone else's content - for info I have a Mailman discussion list set up for the site and want it to appear within the same layout, as I could not find a mailing list/Mailman hack for use within the XOOPs environment).

Regarding point #5, I encountered a similar situation in a previous thread which may give you some ideas...
A Thread which May be Useful regarding iframes in Xoops...

I know that the wiki page was mentioned above but just for completeness, I have included the URL below :
Xoops Wiki Page regarding static HTML content

Cheers & Best Regards,

damjam
  • 2004/6/12 16:55

• damjam

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/3/30

Will gladly answer any questions you throw my way Fritz. Notifications on.
DamJamJim

Fritz
  • 2004/6/28 20:41

• Fritz

• Just popping in

I am getting closer to working on a membership module, but feeling hesitant about spending the time on it when I know the next XOOPS release is going to have more membership options built in.

Can anyone give us a more specific idea what new membership data features will be included in the next release? Plus, I'm hesitant to ask about timeline, but...

To DamJamJim, is displaying custom content the primary reason you need additional membership fields? Do you also need back-end information, like generated mailing lists, in-depth statistics on members, etc.? Also, how do you hope to display custom content? Do you plan to allow certain groups of members access to certain XOOPS blocks and/or modules, or do you want to go beyond that and dynamically customize individual pages?

Thanks!
Fritz

Login

Who's Online

246 user(s) are online (184 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 246

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits