marcan
Re: Default notification settings
  • 2004/6/23 20:15

• marcan

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2003/10/8

Oh... You are right, editing edituser.php will hide the notification select box in the user profile. That way, user won't be able to change the notification method at this page. However, they will be able to change it in the notification block, as you mentionned it. This is probably what you wanted to do pcmensch ?

There is a way to disable this. Will try to find you the answwer if this is what you need.

Cheers !

pcmensch
  • 2004/6/23 20:23

• pcmensch

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/6/21

hello marcan, thanks for your help!

Quote:
However, they will be able to change it in the notification block, as you mentionned it. This is probably what you wanted to do pcmensch ?

yes this is what I want. hide the notification block. Im sorry for not beeing able to specify clearly what im talking about :)

thanks in advance for your help again

marcan
  • 2004/6/24 12:30

• marcan

• Just can't stay away

Again pcmensch, I have a question for you : do you want to remove completely the notification block all around your site ? Or do you want to keep the notification block but hid the line that let the user choose the method :
Quote:
Notification method is: private message [Change]

In my opinion, and if I understand correctly what you want, this would be the best solution. You would also need to do the first thing I mentionned, which is removing the notification select in the user profile, to be sure the user don't change it.

Now, to remove the line
Quote:
Notification method is: private message [Change]

in the notification block, it is really easy :

Edit the file modules/system/templates/system_notification_select.html; go to line 32 :
<{$lang_notificationmethodis}>:&nbsp;<{$user_method}>&nbsp;
&
nbsp;[<a href="<{$editprofile_url}>"><{$lang_change}>a>]

and delete it.

Now, in the Control Panel, go to Admin System > Modules and update the system module. That's it, from now on, the notification block all around your site looks like this :
Resized Image
You probably noticed that they're is no more a line under that block that let the user change the default notification method, like it was before :
Resized Image

I hope this what you wanted and this will help you.

Cheers !

pcmensch
  • 2004/6/25 16:46

• pcmensch

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/6/21

marcan thanks a lot for your kind help!

Quote:
do you want to remove completely the notification block all around your site

yes, therefore I want to kick out the entire form. in my opinion this form should ONLY be visibale inside the 'EDIT USER' menu, and not beeing showed all over every page of xoops. therefore....

yes, Id be defintaley very happy indeed if you could help me... again :)

marcan
  • 2004/6/25 18:29

• marcan

• Just can't stay away

Hey pcmensch !

Removing the notification block completely is even easier than everything I wrote before. However, before telling how to do it, let me just be sure that you understand what it means. Let's take the news module for example, removing the notification block at the bottom of the module will result in your users not being able to set their own notifications settings. They won't be able to subscribe to any notification in that module. Is that really what you want to do ?

If so, that's ok, but you gotta be sure. I did that for one of my sites. I added a little function when a user registers that autmaticaly subscribe him to 3 notifications : new article, new web link and new faq. I disabled the notifications block in all of these modules so users can't add more notifications, but they still can go in User Menu > Notifications to delete them. On that site, it was necessary due to the kind of site it was. However, it is surely not suited for all web sites.

But here is how to do it. You need to do the following for each module you would like to disable the notifications block. Let's take the news module for example : go to Administration Menu > News > Preferences, and set the Enable Notification to Disable Notification. That way, no notifications block will appear at the bottom of the news module.

That's it. Now do that for each other module.

Cheers !

Login

Who's Online

421 user(s) are online (141 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 421

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits