vinit
How to arrange the content in the NEWS Section
  • 2004/6/21 7:47

• vinit

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2004/1/10

hi,

I would like to know how to arrange the content in the news section, currently my news section displays the last news article at top, what i want is that admin should be able to arrange the articles in some sequence. currently the only option that admin has is take any news at top, how to set positioning like

News 1 |
New 2 | Fixed
News 3 |

News x |
News y | Dynamic
News z |

or i should be able to arrange the news items. Is it possible ??

MadFish
Re: How to arrange the content in the NEWS Section
  • 2004/6/21 8:43

• MadFish

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/9/27

You can 'pin' one news story to the top through use of the Spotlight module/block.

I think you can also arrange the order of news articles by using the 'set time to publish' feature. Articles are posted in time sequence, so if you explicitly set the 'publish time' of a new article to fit between publishing dates/times of two existing stories it should insert between them.

A bit fiddly I know. You could also set the order of existing articles by editing them and using the 'move to top' checkbox (or by messing with your database directly) but that would probably be even worse

vinit
  • 2004/6/21 8:56

• vinit

• Just can't stay away

I wish there could be some sort of ranking mechanism also, if not in NEWS 1.2 at least in NEWS 1.3, it should be there.

Mithrandir

Quote:
it should be there.

No, it shouldn't.

News is an announcement module for just that - announcements. My definition of an announcement is that it is time-specific and most likely not very useful after a length of time.

If you want literary articles ordered differently, you should look at an articles module.

News 1.4 will feature a spotlight-like block to highlight a certain article regardless of its time of publish.

vinit
  • 2004/7/30 9:21

• vinit

• Just can't stay away

thats cool, when can i expect News 1.4 to be there avaliable ????
And would it work with all the templates... News 1.2 does have problem with x2t template set....I think you also know that.

Mithrandir

News 1.4 will be out, when Hervé releases it. I don't know about the time frame, but I do know that he has made a great number of bugfixes and improvements.

Regarding the x2t template set, you still haven't quite got the point: It contains templates for the old News module and therefore those (or that specific) template(s) is outdated.

it is not News, which has the problem, it is your x2t template set's template for the news index which is outdated.

vinit
  • 2004/7/30 10:51

• vinit

• Just can't stay away

hi Mithrandir,

Ya i undertood that, havent anyone worked on the template of x2t so that it gets going with new news module. If you could tell me the changes thats needed to be done, then i might give a shot to make this thing come up.

And if a updated x2t set is available where can i download it.

other than that the features that you are speaking out for news1.4 is already seen on some sites like http://www.wf-projects.com/ etc... How are they implementing that spotligtht things etc.

hervet
  • 2004/7/30 14:53

• hervet

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/11/4

Hi,

As Mith says, except 2 new major features, for this moment i'm trying to correct a maximum of things. I am also trying to document the code. New features will come later but if you have some idea, you can submit them here, but before to post, please verify that it's not already in the list.

Bye,
Hervé

Login

Who's Online

346 user(s) are online (108 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 346

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits