• Herko

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2002/2/4 1

Quote:

Acithata wrote:
Quote:

skalpa wrote:
There is no "upgrade file".
Just unarchive the update package, then copy the files from the html/ folder over your previous version ones.

Again, I bring your attention to skalpa's post.

The operative word here being update package. There are two versions: a full release package and an upgrade patch. The first contains all the files needed to do a clean install, the second contains only those files that have been updated.

The system will only start the installer process when the mainfile.php is the one from the complete 'clean install' package. The update patch doesn't have that mainfile.php file.

So we both are saying the same thing, and it's a clear answer. The ship isn't so hard when you read the instruction carefully. That's the change you have. Now be nice, as 've been going out of my way ro help you solve this issue, even tho the 2.0.7 release has been pulled back, and it's not an advised upgrade just yet.

What overwriting your original files with the 2.0.7 files means is that it now has the same code, and it didn't change anything in the database. So you still have all your config settings, content and everything. Now all you need to do is get mainfile.php to read that database again. That means it should have all the info pointing it to the database, and it should work. No need to create any new tables or set different prefixes.

Herko

Acithata
Re: 2.06 to 2.07
  • 2004/6/15 8:25

• Acithata

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/3/30

Ever felt like you're banging your head against a brick wall?

There is NO UPDATE PATCH to use! If there was, I would've used it! The only hint of an upgrade I found was /install/sql/upgrade/ which just contains an SQL dump. No patch.

McEwan
  • 2004/6/15 8:53

• McEwan

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/5/27

Since this was pulled back I haven't examined the package, but in the release notes it says:

Quote:
For users currently running 2.0.6, extract xoops-2.0.6-to-2.0.7.patch.zip or xoops-2.0.6-to-2.0.7.patch.tgz and just overwrite the old files with the new ones. After that, 'update' the system module from the module admin section to apply the changes made to template files of these modules.

If this file isn't present you have to edit mainfile.php to reflect your settings.

Acithata
  • 2004/6/15 10:45

• Acithata

• Just popping in

The update wasn't found in the package I downloaded last night.

Anywho, do I edit the mainfile.php or mainfile.dist.php? I go to my site and get this at the moment;

http://www.worldofetilicia.com/install/index.php

Forbidden
You don't have permission to access /install/index.php on this server.

Additionally, a 403 Forbidden error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

So is there something I haven't edited properly?

Mithrandir

the package IS the update.

The files are supposed to overwrite existing files, then you go to your site, login as administrator, go to administration menu -> system admin -> modules and from there you update the System Module.

I have lost track of what you have done and what your site looks like atm.
In general you never have to touch mainfile.dist.php as it is just a template used on installation. Likewise after you have installed XOOPS first, you will never need the install directory anymore and it should be deleted right after installation.

2.0.7 is a bugfix update without changes to the database structure and hence all it takes is uploading files and updating the module.

Acithata
  • 2004/6/15 10:58

• Acithata

• Just popping in

I unpacked the update and followed the first posters instructions of uploading all files in the /html directory. That then asked me to do a new install.

At the moment I am trying to get back to using my old database as that is the one that contains all of the information I need.

So...

Do I edit the mainfile.php to point to the database, username and password I used before? And if so, do I need to CHMOD anything to get the site to show the changes?

Will I also need to go back to 2.0.6 if 2.0.7 is just a bug fix (seeing as I had to do a fresh install after it buggered up)

As posted in the previous,http://www.worldofetilicia.com/ is what my site looks like now.

Mithrandir

after you uploaded the files, you were asked to do a new install when you .... went to index.php?

Yes, you will have to edit mainfile.php to point to the right place with correct server paths, url and database information.

To replace mainfile.php with the one you have edited, you'll need to CHMOD it to 644 (depending on the user, your webserver uses - try 644, if you cannot overwrite it via FTP due to permissions, try 664 and finally 666) after the correct mainfile.php is in place, you should CHMOD it to 444 (not writeable by anyone)

If this makes your site accessible again, I don't think it should be necessary to go back to earlier versions. 2.0.7 is not just a bug fix - it is MANY bugfixes.

Acithata
  • 2004/6/15 12:11

• Acithata

• Just popping in

Now i'm fearing the worst. Look at www.worldofetilicia.com/

Its still looking for the /install bit! I've edited the mainfile and overwritten it but still nothing!

HeLp!

Acithata
  • 2004/6/15 13:01

• Acithata

• Just popping in

Ok, I'm back to 2.0.6. Is there an EASY way to upgrade without F***ing up my site?

Dave_L
  • 2004/6/15 16:17

• Dave_L

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/11/7

Dave_L's rules:

1) When a new version (of anything) is released, I always wait a while before upgrading a production site, to see if any problems are reported by others.

2) Make a test site by "cloning" your production site. Try out the upgrade on the test site first.

3) Before upgrading, ensure that you have a complete backup to which you can revert. This implies that you know how to make a backup, and know how to restore it.

4) If you're not comfortable with doing the upgrade yourself, find someone else to do it for you.

----
P.S.

2.0.7 has been temporarily withdrawn, and you shouldn't attempt upgrading until it's been re-released.

Login

Who's Online

182 user(s) are online (90 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 182

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits