sm007hie
website fonts
  • 2004/6/14 17:07

• sm007hie

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/5/21

Where are the fonts pulled from for a website? Are they referenced to the users' local machine or are they read from the hosting server? I'd like to use some different fonts, but I need to know where the website looks for them so I know where to stick the new font.

tjnemez
Re: website fonts
  • 2004/6/14 17:19

• tjnemez

• Home away from home

• Since: 2003/9/21

from your theme style.css

ie: font-family: verdana, arial, sans-serif;

browser will try all fonts as specified starting with, in this case verdana. if user does not have verdana it will then default to arial and so on. a generic font such as sans-serif should always be the last alternative as most sytems have this font installed.

Stewdio
  • 2004/6/14 17:26

• Stewdio

• Community Support Member

• Since: 2003/5/7 1

Font's are usually defined in your document, or more commonly in your CSS file.

Quote:

table td {padding: 0; border-width: 0; vertical-align: top; font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;}

The font-family property is a prioritized list of font family names and/or generic family names for an element. The browser will use the first value it recognizes.

There are two types of font-family values:

family-name: The name of a font-family, like "times", "courier", "arial", etc.
generic-family: The name of a generic-family, like "serif", "sans-serif", "cursive", "fantasy", "monospace".

You can play areound and change these, but more often times then not, it better to stick with basic fonts. Using a font that you see on your machine may not render on another persons machine because they do not have it installed. There is not 'font' server as it were.

Plain fonts (Arial, Times New Roman, Garamond and Courier) are the easiest to read. Fancy fonts are fine for headings, but not for full pages (imagine trying to read a whole page in Gothic, Script, Westminster, or Cloister). Your eyes would soon tire of the effort involved and you'd be reaching for the back button!

If you want to use custom fonts, it is best to display things with images using the font of your choice however, this will create larger files and longer download times for the user because they are downloading images instead of rendering a font.

Select a font for all your headings and sub-headings (and stick to it). It's not necessary to have a different font for headings (just go up one size for headings, and then use bold on all headings and sub-headings).

This way it's easy to recognise which is a heading (large and bold) and which is a sub-heading (same size but bold).

The point of this is to make it easy for your visitors to glance at your page and to take in all the key points. If what they see interests them, they'll stay and keep reading - so it goes without saying, that your headings should be written with care.

The topic in itself is much to involved for one single reply. There are many resources you can use on the web by searching for topics on how to choose a font (or font-family) for your website.

I hope this helps a little bit.

Bunny
  • 2004/6/14 20:54

• Bunny

• XOOPS Advisor

• Since: 2002/10/21

Both of the other answers are basically right. There is however a method for embedding fonts in a web-page that will work for 3/4 of the surfing public, namely the ones using Micro$oft's Internet Explorer. IE provides for embedded fonts in CSS. The format is something like this:

@font-face { font-family:Chianti XBd BT;
src:url(http://www.meine.com/fonts/chianti.eot); }

Where the ".eot" file can be generated from a TrueType font using Bill's "WEFT" tool (http://www.microsoft.com/typography/web/embedding/weft3/default.htm)

Works quite well for keeping with the company CI (makes the marketing department happy) while degrading gracefully for non-IE-users.

tjnemez
  • 2004/6/14 21:18

• tjnemez

• Home away from home

• Since: 2003/9/21

so would this embedded font, @font-face { font-family:Chianti XBd BT;
src:url(http://www.meine.com/fonts/chianti.eot); }
only work if that site is up, what if its down?

i would like to use the kiss rule here i think

Login

Who's Online

219 user(s) are online (139 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 219

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits