domineaux
Darned search engine from hell keeps loading on Browser

Thought I'd ask if anyone knows how to get rid of this thing.

I don't know where I got it...It says ShopNav. When you go to the site to get rid of it you have to download their uninstaller. Yeah, right uninstall my donuts. No telling what else I'll get.

Here is the link this thing puts up in the address line. Somehow it's picking up info from my last search on Google.

Whatever you do don't click this link you sure don't want it.
//search2.drsnsrch.com/apps/epa/epa?cid=shnv9887&s=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.navy.mil%2Fhomepages%2Fvaw121%2F

I got it off someones site that is an affiliate with these jerks. I'm reluctant to send an Email, because they have a form with required fields asking for my life history.

If you know how to kick this dog outta the house I'd appreciate hearing from you. If you can't tell I'm somewhat annoyed.

It pops up when I get a mis-link or link that isn't working. Instead of the old MSFT screen I get this thing.

Stewdio
Re: Darned search engine from hell keeps loading on Browser
  • 2004/6/9 2:10

• Stewdio

• Community Support Member

• Since: 2003/5/7 1

Spybot S&D servers are down, but you can get a download of the app from here at Download.com

Their homepage is http://www.safer-networking.org but it's down for some reason.

There might be other apps out there that remove browser hijacks from your system, this in conjunction with AdAware can keep your system pretty clean. I've used both of these for years.

domineaux

You'll find this interesting>

Spybot as it cycles thru it's list you can see the files info it's looking for. I saw it in the search run "shopnav" Spybot didn't catch it. I'm running the Adaware now. I'd pretty well quit using it, but it's already found 32 files and 4 registry keys missed by Spybot.

Thanks for your response. I hope the Adaware has found it.

Stewdio
  • 2004/6/9 2:25

• Stewdio

• Community Support Member

• Since: 2003/5/7 1

Ad Aware won't find most browser hijacks, but if it finds a registry setting you might get lucky.

Did you update the file list for Spybot to get a current list of blacklisted sites and such?

Do a search for the url on google and how to remove it. Include browser hijack in your search as well. You may need to get creative, but I have been able to find everything I need on user forums when software apps don't cut it.

Bassman
  • 2004/6/9 2:36

• Bassman

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/5/23

Hijack This also works well, will help identify hijackers that Ad-aware and Spybot miss.

shaxs
  • 2004/6/9 4:33

• shaxs

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2004/6/1 2

yes, download hijackthis, post your log here, and I can tell you what to get rid of. I professionaly clean peopels computers from crap like that

Login

Who's Online

361 user(s) are online (67 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 361

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits