Neon
Firewall problem
  • 2004/5/16 20:15

• Neon

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2002/2/8 6

I know there is an issue with firewalls and XOOPS updating and Ive been have that same problem BUT...
I have Nortons Firewall and I have entered my XOOPS 2.0.5. site into the trusted site list and I still have to turn the firewall off each time I want to make changes in admin.

Does anyone know what exactly I have to turn on / enter and were in Nortons 2004 firewall to allow me to make changes on my XOOPS sites without having to turn it off every time.

Thanks Heaps

tjnemez
Re: Firewall problem
  • 2004/5/17 1:11

• tjnemez

• Home away from home

• Since: 2003/9/21

hey neon,

i had the same issue. i had to configure my firewall. you can do this by clicking "configure" on lower right of nis window. under advanced tab check out your general rules to see what kind of communications you have blocked.

you may want to run a security check after you edit settings.

Neon
  • 2004/5/17 1:52

• Neon

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2002/2/8 6

Yes I added the address into the allowed sites list and there is non in the restricted list, this is whats got me stumped

tjnemez
  • 2004/5/17 2:03

• tjnemez

• Home away from home

hey neon,

click on personal firewall which will bring up circled area and then click on configure and then under advanced tab reviewyour general rules.

Resized Image

hope this helps.

ozboof
  • 2004/5/17 3:30

• ozboof

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/10/28

Neon not sure wether this will help or not

how to set up Norton Internet security

longhair
  • 2004/5/17 3:34

• longhair

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2004/3/29

Is any further information available on configuring Norton Personal Firewall to allow unrestricted access to Xoops?

I don't use Norton therefore am flying blind when attempting to assist my users with correct configuration of their software.

It appears adding my server ip addres to be a trusted site does not solve the problem.

tjnemez
  • 2004/5/17 3:48

• tjnemez

• Home away from home

hey longhair,

that is why i posted screen shot!

longhair
  • 2004/5/17 4:05

• longhair

• Friend of XOOPS

Thanks tjnemez, your screenshot is much appreicated, though I am looking more for detailed configuration steps to guide my users through the correct setup.

tjnemez
  • 2004/5/17 4:13

• tjnemez

• Home away from home

this post was to assist neon with his issue of not being able to update database as far as i know. this is due to the settings that are governed by general rules for all incoming and outgoing data. its not a comlicated process.

please do not confuse the issue of this post.

longhair
  • 2004/5/17 4:38

• longhair

• Friend of XOOPS

tjnemez, Neons' issue is exactly my issue, the XOOPS database not being updated when users are using Nortons.

I don't use Norton, I admit that. As I mentioned earlier, I am flying blind. My users are not happy with an answer of 'disable Norton' which is what I am currently advising they do, or use another firewall package.

Most of my members are non technical, and need all the help they can get, which is why I'm asking here.

It may not be a complicated issue for you, but it very much is for non computer users like florists, landscape gardeners, bus drivers and my mother for example.

Xoops needs to be accessible to the masses to reach broad appeal. Keeping it in the 'geeks domain' is not a wise thing to do for success.

Login

Who's Online

174 user(s) are online (105 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 174

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits