Fredrik
newBB, posts not marked as read for some users
  • 2004/5/13 10:54

• Fredrik

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/4/21

I have a few users who complain that read posts in newBB still shows up as non-read.

Any suggestions on what might be wrong?

baderman
Re: newBB, posts not marked as read for some users
  • 2004/5/13 12:43

• baderman

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/12/9

Extacly, I've got the same problem, but it apeared TODAY, after more than 7 months. What can render such a situation? Optimization of all tables in DB? I think, rather not, because i made it many times before, and it worked good. Please Explain this. I'll appreciate any help. Thanks!

baderman
  • 2004/5/13 12:49

• baderman

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/12/9

eh, I did desperate action - I've deleted cookies, and everything worked good again, but every post was unread, so all old post will remain unread, until You again re-read it. Eh, somethig - for - something.

phppp
  • 2004/5/13 13:29

• phppp

• XOOPS Contributor

• Since: 2004/1/25

that's the way it is for current mark system
Quote:

baderman wrote:
eh, I did desperate action - I've deleted cookies, and everything worked good again, but every post was unread, so all old post will remain unread, until You again re-read it. Eh, somethig - for - something.

slammers
  • 2004/5/27 19:13

• slammers

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/7/18

I have the same problem. It seems my cookie for newbb_topic_lastread is not getting set. When I delete the newbb cookie from my computer and then go to the forum the cookie gets recreated but the variable newbb_topic_lastread is missing. I stepped through the code and the setcookie command is being called in file viewtopic.php but it is not setting the cookie properly.

Any suggestions?

It was working fin until I moved the site to a new server. It may be some PHP setting on the server but I do not know what to check.

Thanks
Shawn

phppp
  • 2004/5/27 20:17

• phppp

• XOOPS Contributor

Quote:

slammers wrote:
I have the same problem.

What exact problem?

Quote:

slammers wrote:
It seems my cookie for newbb_topic_lastread is not getting set. When I delete the newbb cookie from my computer and then go to the forum the cookie gets recreated but the variable newbb_topic_lastread is missing.

May I have your link and make a test?

hamic
  • 2004/5/28 9:03

• hamic

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/1/24

I have the same thing. Started today after 3 months of working properly..
It is the same on 4 different computers/IPs.
The only change I made was to install wf-sections. I can't see that this should cause it. Hoping someone has a fix...

hamic

phppp
  • 2004/5/28 11:55

• phppp

• XOOPS Contributor

just tested on teachkorea.com

I am quite sure it's a server-side problem.

hamic, would you please help me make further test?

hamic
Re: newBB, posts not marked as read (FIXED for me)
  • 2004/5/28 20:38

• hamic

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/1/24

PROBLEM FIXED (for me)

Posts were not being marked as read so went to...

Administration Menu - System Admin - Preferences - General Settings...

Changed settings:

1)Use Custom Session - Yes(was no)
2)Session Expiration - 30

** NewBB messages are now again being marked as read for me and other users :)

double1
  • 2004/5/29 8:40

• double1

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/4/26

@ Fredrik: To be more precise on why this is happening, XOOPS uses cookies to mark a topic as read. The official specification for cookies is that they can maximally be 4Kb big. XOOPS serializes the topic when writing to the cookie, this practically means the cookie can on average hold about 100-150 different topcis. Once this amount is reached, no NEW topics can be written to the cookie. From this point the mark read/unread indicator will stop working correctly.

Erratic behaviour, where it updates read/unread status for some topics (the older) but not for others (new topics) is caused because the older topics might still be present in the cookie, making it possible to still change the read/unread flag on them.

Only solution to this problem is to clear your cookies, which will start with a clean sheet. You can also only delete the cookie related to the newbb forum, it's the cookie with name "newbb_topic_lastread".

Now this is a known problem with the current newbb implementation, that's why it's been suggested by other people earlier to use the database instead of cookies for marking topics read/unread.

Hopefully the programmers of the updated newbb will consider this. But I doubt if they will, since it puts more pressure on the database and loading times. Well, we'll see.

Hope this helped.

Login

Who's Online

215 user(s) are online (147 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 215

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits