hlint
copying xoops to a different server
  • 2004/5/3 0:16

• hlint

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2004/2/6 7

I would like to use a copy a XOOPS website I have to another server (hoster)? Is this possible and what are the things I have to pay attention to?

greetings erik

Stewdio
Re: copying xoops to a different server
  • 2004/5/3 0:43

• Stewdio

• Community Support Member

• Since: 2003/5/7 1

When you move your files to the new server, you will have to set the permissions again for template_c, uploads and cache (same as you would on a fresh install, check original documentation for details I've missed)

You will also have to edit mainfile.php to reflect the proper directory structure of your new host. Once you open it up, the changes should be fairly obvious, just use your old host information as a reference and change appropriately. It will also have to be CHMOD 444 after you make your changes.

As for your mySQL DB, export the tables from your old host and import into new host via phpMyAdmin. Another solution is to do a fresh install on your server to re-create the DB, then move your files over and overwrite your DB tables with your old one (assuming you kept the xoops_ table prefix). Keep in mind that you may have to tweak some permissions here and there.

Update your DNS entries with your registrar and allow a few days for proper propagation.(Im sure you know this already) Your new host will give you the NS details upon account setup if they havn't already.

This is just a basic rundown of what will need to be done for successful transfer to your new host. It's usually a painless process if you take your time and take things one step at a time.

Good Luck on the move

DonXoop

I'll just add that the core XOOPS and any hacks you might have done will transfer to a new server without much fuss. It works very well and can be done rather quickly. The DNS propagation takes the longest.

One thing to watch for are certain 3rd party modules which might not move transparently without some work afterward. Depends on the coding style. They usually move without any trouble but some have issues. If the physical directory names don't change then it is painless (almost).

hlint
  • 2004/5/3 4:27

• hlint

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2004/2/6 7

On the host XOOPS is running now I don't have the premissions or the program (php admin) to get to the table prefix.
By the new host I will use cpanelX and php admin to make it work.
And fetch (ftp program for mac) to upload.

What's a better option, clean install or copy-paste?

thanks for the help.

gr. erik

DonXoop

I haven't used a Cpanel or other web hosting app but I'm used to running my own stand alone tools. Better for my needs anyway and I'm not concerned with whatever a host is using. Your own tools will follow you to the new host provider.

The easy thing for you is to download and install phpMyAdmin stand-alone. Place it in a directory off your XOOPS root. Configure the config.php with the same specs as your mainfile.php database specs (better to use "cookie" option and type the password each time). Now you can do anything you need to your database.

->>>> Just make sure you protect your stand alone tools from being used by anyone not authorized. <<<<-

Mithrandir

If you don't have a db admin tool from your current host, grab the phpMyAdmin module from the downloads section here. Then do the export -> import

If you copy exactly the same files from the old to the new host and export -> import the database and then modify the mainfile.php to suit the new host, that would probably be easier than reinstalling and reconfiguring XOOPS from scratch.

Login

Who's Online

301 user(s) are online (66 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 301

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Jul 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits