JS
Migrating user information to a new site
  • 2004/4/30 14:38

• JS

• Just popping in

• Since: 2002/12/16

ok I have done a little poking around but could not find my answer hopefuly someone will have it for me

Here the situation:

I have one site that is an older version of XOOPS 2.X and I am creating a newer site with a new domain name and new tables and new moduals and the latest version of xoops.

What I am trying to do is I would like to migrate the users from the old site to the new site as well as migrate all the forum posts(if possible but not critical). but the bigest issue is that I need to keep the old site up and running untill i get the new site completed and this is just one of the steps to completeing the new site.

Anyone know how I can do this?

Thanks

Stewdio
Re: Migrating user information to a new site
  • 2004/4/30 14:43

• Stewdio

• Community Support Member

• Since: 2003/5/7 1

If you have access to phpMyAdmin or anything else to get into your mySQL database, all you need to do is copy that DB and and replace over your new installation. There have been no new changes to the tables in the 2.x series, so you should not run into any issues.

Do an SQL dump of the tables you want to keep, then inject (import) them into your new install.

JS
  • 2004/4/30 15:20

• JS

• Just popping in

well I have to be honest all the work I have ever done with MySQL has all been by the seat of my pants so not sure how to dump information from one table set and import it to another. as for just moveing the databases the nameing convention that I used for the tables on the new site is different then the one that I used on the current site. So if im understanding you correctly this solution you recomend probibly wouldn't work for me??? am I correct in this?

Thanks for your respons

Stewdio
  • 2004/4/30 16:02

• Stewdio

Basically, all you need to do is download your sql tables. Look for something mentioning Export tables, or databases. I'm not qualified to go deep into SQL management, refer to the help files of your particular script or sql access program. Hopefully other users here will step up to the plate as well.

In terms of the nameing convention, you can use a different DB name; that doesn't matter, but the tables inside should all look the same for the most part, unless you specified something other then xoops_ as your table names prefix.

xoops_users
xoops_config
etc...

Install your XOOPS on the new site (domain), log in as admin and install the forum. Get that running first. Once complete, we can help you try and get your users over. Once thats complete we can get your posts over as well.

Keep your site going as usual, they don't need to know whats going on unless you tell them. It doesn't matter if you get new users, or if they make new posts. Once you understand how to import and export current tables, you can close your old site anytime and move to the new server with current information in the database.

I would do it for you, but I don't like accessing other people's accounts, as I would need full access to both your old and new account, full complete access to both domains in order to achieve the results you need. Something I will NOT do, so please don't ask. I've been asked before, but I can not and will not be responsile for anything that happens so I play it safe and say no when asked. Sorry. Others here may do so, but it's at your discretion.

Essentially, you can do it yourself, you have the head for it, just lack the experience. I'd be willing to walk you through it step by step as much as I can either here in this post, Private message, or prefeably through MSN when I have the time for live support.

How you go about your migration is up to you, but we'll be here to help all the way. It can be done

JS
  • 2004/4/30 18:31

• JS

• Just popping in

good information just a couple questions. I'm a quick learn so I'm sure I could figur this out just don't want to damage what I have going on alread

first of all are you talking about moving the physical tables or just the data? if so I think the nameing convention is different. I do change the name of the prefix so that may cause me some pain is there a way to go in and copy the database tables over then change the table name and prefix? would that work or will I just cause coruption? I run alot of different XOOPS site but this particular one is for my gaming site and my guild is now spanning many different games so in an effort to consolidate the few websites that I have up into one site I would like to import the users information. and the forums and stuff. Basicaly I will use the handy theam stuff that is in XOOPS and let the users choos the theam for the game they are playing so the site will look like the game they are playing I figure this should free up some space on the server and reduce the amount of over all work the MySQL server has to do.

I believe on one of my sites I have installed the myphpadmin modual that someone released some time ago could I use that to make this whole thing work? I have toyed with it a bit but not sure if I fully understand all the inner working of it thats why I came here I know alot of good people are here that know alot about this stuff and was hoping that I could get some answeres to my questions as I dig into this

Thanks for your help

Stewdio
  • 2004/4/30 18:45

• Stewdio

If your hosting account doesn't already provide access to your data bases through Cpanel or some other means, then yes, installing phpMyAdmin will be the best way to go.

In terms of changing the prefix, it's is a bit of work but not impossible. Firstly, export your old tables and download them. Open the .sql file and change (replace) your xoops_ prefix with your new one in every instance. (Use a search and replace feature like in Dreamweaver if possible)

You could save yourself the pain, and just create a new DB if your host will allow more then one. This way, you can keep your xoops_ prefix as the name of the DB can be configured in mainfile.php (or during setup, or through phpMyAdmin, which ever route you want to go.

If your host will not allow more thenon eDB (other then choosing a new host), then changing the prefix and editing the sql dump you downloaded is the only way to go (Someone jump in and correct me if I'm wrong here)

Your on the right track in any case, and seem to have no fear of learning (kudos to you!). So open up your current site in phpMyAdmin (or whatever) look through the table(s), and when you find your users, export just that table as a test. Download it, edit the prefix, save and do an import on your new domain as a test. You will of course need to do this for groups, forums etc etc, which is why I suggested creating a new DB (no matter the name). This way all you have to do is export/import from to new.

Good luck Chief!

JS
  • 2004/5/1 8:07

• JS

• Just popping in

I would like to say thanks for all your help! :) Based off of some of your suggestions I came up with a solution for my little dilema. Being that I don't have a vast knowledge of MySQL I really not sure if this is the best method but it worked for me and it really was easy to do. This is what I did

First of all I installed MySQL admin on my server. (I did have myphpadmin installed the web based one but I found the one that you install directly on the server is much easyer to use)
Next I created a backup of the tables that had the data I wanted to trasfer using the backup feature of MySQL admin
Then I opend the *.sql file with a text editor and modified the database name and the prefix name to the format that I needed for the new site.
I then stoped the MySQL server deleted the tables from the new site that I would be replaceing and started the MySQL server back up.
finnaly I reconnected the MySQL admin and did a restore using the modified *.sql files. This recreated the tables I deleted in the new sites database and inserted all of the data from the old site.

That's it!
This alowed me to move all the data I wanted from the old site to the new site even though the database nameing convention was different for each site. Though I did run into some trouble restoring the *_bb_post_text part it was like it failed to restore any datad that was the lates data for each forum set I had. it would error out even though it got 99% of that data over it literaly broke the first 5 topics in each forum that I had. A solution to that is basicaly to delet those topics and everything was fine. still not sure why it did that could have something to do with the amount of data that was being restored or maybe some sort of coruption in the orriginal database that is causing that issue. but the majority of the data has been moved and that's what counts. 5 forum topics are nothing compared to the 2+K that did successfuly make it over

Again thanks for all your help! :)

JS
  • 2004/5/1 8:13

• JS

• Just popping in

I would like to say thanks for all your help! :) Based off of some of your suggestions I came up with a solution for my little dilema. Being that I don't have a vast knowledge of MySQL I really not sure if this is the best method but it worked for me and it really was easy to do. This is what I did

First of all I installed MySQL admin on my server. (I did have myphpadmin installed the web based one but I found the one that you install directly on the server is much easyer to use)
Next I created a backup of the tables that had the data I wanted to trasfer using the backup feature of MySQL admin
Then I opend the *.sql file with a text editor and modified the database name and the prefix name to the format that I needed for the new site.
I then stoped the MySQL server deleted the tables from the new site that I would be replaceing and started the MySQL server back up.
finnaly I reconnected the MySQL admin and did a restore using the modified *.sql files. This recreated the tables I deleted in the new sites database and inserted all of the data from the old site.

That's it!
This alowed me to move all the data I wanted from the old site to the new site even though the database nameing convention was different for each site. Though I did run into some trouble restoring the *_bb_post_text part it was like it failed to restore any datad that was the lates data for each forum set I had. it would error out even though it got 99% of that data over it literaly broke the first 5 topics in each forum that I had. A solution to that is basicaly to delet those topics and everything was fine. still not sure why it did that could have something to do with the amount of data that was being restored or maybe some sort of coruption in the orriginal database that is causing that issue. but the majority of the data has been moved and that's what counts. 5 forum topics are nothing compared to the 2+K that did successfuly make it over

Again thanks for all your help! :)

Login

Who's Online

174 user(s) are online (109 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 174

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits