Bulls
New Site?
  • 2004/4/19 13:38

• Bulls

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/4/8 1

Hi

Oh well, can't see you really liking the site i am creating as it doesn't really show any innovation. Really this is out of necessity as i need to keep it absolutely simple so people find the shops as fast as possible.

Shareware section is going to be created soon but i might kick off another XOOPS portal for that.

Take a look at the Running forum as it has the subforum hack installed. Allows you to create a monster VBulletin style board without any trouble - damn good mod. I am going to use that forum type for the rest infact.

Anyone know where to get good icons (like the ones i've used on the first page) but smaller? I know i can reduce the ones i have used but they start to lose definition if i do and look messy.

Still some work to do before i can market this site but hopefully i getting there? What do you think?

Bulls
Sites-4u

Bulls
Re: New Site?
  • 2004/4/26 20:49

• Bulls

• Just popping in

Yo

So much for my new design! Moved onto a restructured javascript ecommerce software site now. Ripped certain parts off it so it no longer shoots off to the 'buying basket' but still works as intended. Feel a bit guilty as i am still using elements of XOOPS to run the site. The site now uses Javascript ecommerce software, XOOPS and phpbb2 forums. Sheesh, some mix. Afterall though XOOPS and other free open source software is available for you to experiment. Well i been doing that big time. Still tons to do but i am sure i can get all the elements to sit nicely together. Shareware next and things are already in motion regarding companies etc.

Xoops rocks!

Bulls
Sites-4u

bmmolloy
  • 2004/4/26 21:43

• bmmolloy

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2004/4/21

Hi There,

Surfing with Mozilla Firefox .08 and the right hand menu is waaaaaaaaaaay off to the right. You might actually develop your site in Mozilla, and then test it in IE... Just a thought.

Bulls
  • 2004/4/26 21:52

• Bulls

• Just popping in

Yo

Ah - way off to the right? mm - well it suppose to be hehe. Will only show enough for you to read the stuff on there (hopefully). Maybe you never stayed long enough to try the site and it's contents but that right hand menu remains as you pull up other sites. The whole site is running on frames. When you pull up a site it shows in the middle and the right hand navigational menu remains in view. But i will try Firefox and see if there are any hidden nasties.

Bulls
Sites-4u.com

bmmolloy
  • 2004/4/26 22:00

• bmmolloy

• Friend of XOOPS

It cuts off about 2/3's of the words in the right-hand menu. Not completely, but you may want to move it over just a tad.

You posted it here to get criticized, right?

Kinda big, hope nobody minds...

Resized Image

Bulls
  • 2004/4/26 22:19

• Bulls

• Just popping in

Hi bmmolloy

Downloaded Firefox and tried it. There is distortion which is a pain but it is not too bad. As for the menu not showing you have to click on the Open/Close Menu link slightly to the left of the menu. The snapshot you have taken is with the menu closed as far as i can make out. Try clicking on the Open/Close Menu link and you will see what i mean. Also the menu can be adjusted manually by dragging the edge. I need to work on these details so people see it quickly. It is using a neat javascript that closes a frame and reopens it. Tis working with Firefox so give it a try. I will try and make it more obvious.

Thanks for the feedback too as it is vital

Bulls
Sites-4u

Bulls
  • 2004/4/26 22:21

• Bulls

• Just popping in

Hi bmmolloy

Downloaded Firefox and tried it. There is distortion which is a pain but it is not too bad. As for the menu not showing you have to click on the Open/Close Menu link slightly to the left of the menu. The snapshot you have taken is with the menu closed as far as i can make out. Try clicking on the Open/Close Menu link and you will see what i mean. Also the menu can be adjusted manually by dragging the edge. I need to work on these details so people see it quickly. It is using a neat javascript that closes a frame and reopens it. Tis working with Firefox so give it a try. I will try and make it more obvious.

Thanks for the feedback too as it is vital

Edit: Blimey, just checked on the forums using Firefox. Stuff is all over the place? Eh, why don't Firefox fix these issues? Not sure i can design complicated forums and websites with Firefox as it looks to be a bit of an edache. Will attempt to do so all the same

Edit: Reworked the menu now using percentages instead of pixels. That way i have been able to totally collapse the menu out of sight. Only shows now if you click on the link which is much better .

Bulls
Sites-4u

bmmolloy
  • 2004/4/27 22:44

• bmmolloy

• Friend of XOOPS

You'll have much less to fix if you develop the site in Firefox and then go back and check with Internet Explorer. I know it's saved me a lot of headaches with trying to go back through and debug...

Just thought you might want to check because a LOT of people use Mozilla browsers. Not sure of he numbers, but a significant amount of people.

HughG
  • 2004/4/27 23:29

• HughG

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2003/2/21

Quote:

bmmolloy wrote:
Just thought you might want to check because a LOT of people use Mozilla browsers. Not sure of he numbers, but a significant amount of people.

Resized Image

bmmolloy
  • 2004/4/28 0:45

• bmmolloy

• Friend of XOOPS

Resized Image

When I say a LOT I don't mean all...

19% is quite a number though. Just trying to help.

Login

Who's Online

197 user(s) are online (161 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 197

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits