Kent
Re: Works locally but not from the outside
  • 2004/1/31 8:05

• Kent

• Just popping in

• Since: 2002/4/19

Just thought I would post my findings. There is a way this will work. You just need to edit your hosts.txt file. This file is located at %SYSTEM_ROOT%\system32\drivers\etc\hosts.txt where %SYSTEM_ROOT% is default to "C:\Windows"

I hope everyone will find this information helpful.

kaliman
  • 2004/2/1 3:16

• kaliman

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2003/12/17

Great!
[b]This worked perfect.[/B]

Prior to this great tip, I used a proxy to access my own machine from the ouside

gwareth
  • 2004/2/3 20:51

• gwareth

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/2/3 2

I am also having this problem and I could use a bit of assistance. I tried editing the hosts file, with no success.

I have a domain at dyndns.org (www.12southstudios.com) and I am running off a cable internet connection. I have a RedHat Linux web server listening to port 80, but due to Cox Cable all requests through dyndns.org are directed to port 88. Then my router translates those back to port 80 for my server.

I have been able to configure XOOPS and can use it locally, but anytime anyone attempts to access it externally they get an "action cancelled" page. What is even more maddening is that any "generic" pages I place on the site such as index-old.php (a page I wrote myself) or phpinfo.php work just fine and people outside can see them.

So, the problem is something to do with port redirection and the XOOPS software. I have tried a lot of settings in mainfile.php with no success. I could use some pointers if anyone has any ideas.

Thanks in advance!

Jason (Gwareth)
www.12southstudios.com

m0nty
  • 2004/2/4 3:17

• m0nty

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/10/24

when i tested mine locally when i 1st started out.. i used a site calledhttp://www.no-ip.com

u run a downloaded program on your pc which automatically detects your ip and sends it to their server, which then redirects any traffic to your computer... and it's really good for dynamic IP's too cos if ur disconnected, like in the uk (every 2hrs) means u get a new ip.. u don't need to do anything, the program detects the new ip automatically and does the rest.. u can also turn it off from the program if u want to take the site offline without disconnecting or visit the website.. and it saves changing any hosts files..

gwareth
  • 2004/2/5 8:52

• gwareth

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/2/3 2

Thats basically waht I have now. I use a site called DynDNS.org. I have a domain parked there and they redirect it to my IP. I run DDClient on my linux box to do regular updates of my IP (though cable internet rarely changes their IP).

I think the problem is something to do with the XOOPS software accessing my MySQL database locally (using my 192.168 address or localhost) but serving to the outside. Cause I can access the site (from within my network on a 192.168 ip) but no one from outside can.

that is to say that they can access the website and any pages I put there EXCEPT the XOOPS software. It just tells them "action cancelled". I can't figure it out.

- Jason

Jeepster
  • 2004/4/20 10:05

• Jeepster

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/4/14

I am trying to make the right change to my hosts.txt file.

Someone wrote here:
Quote:

Could also simply have a hosts file pointing to the internal IP.

In de hosts.txt I find one line which goes
127.0.0.1 localhost

What do i put on the second line (because I don't have a domeinname, I will comunicate my site tot the outsideworld with just my ip address 82.161.108.88 )?

Thankz,
Jaap

kaliman
  • 2004/4/20 13:33

• kaliman

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2003/12/17

If you need your computer to be seen from a computer at your LAN, then put the name of your computer (the network name). If you are using a domain or a solution like no-ip, then you have to put as well the domain.

Have a nice day

Jeepster
  • 2004/4/21 5:51

• Jeepster

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/4/14

Hi Kaliman,

I am not sure if i understand you.

Users from outside access my webserver at 82.161.108.88 (because I don't have an domeinname).

So what do i put in the hosts file as an extra line?

127.0.0.1 82.161.108.88
OR
127.0.0.1 computername_within_LAN
OR
...?

I know the first option doens't work.

Thanks,
Jeepster

Login

Who's Online

168 user(s) are online (83 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 168

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits