sud_crow
Differences between E-Xoops and Xoops
  • 2004/4/10 7:22

• sud_crow

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/3/18

What are the differences between E-Xoops and Xoops?

I know that E-Xoops is based on Xoops, so, are there any _real_ differences?

Mithrandir
Re: Differences between E-Xoops and Xoops

e-xoops is based on an earlier version of XOOPS, so there are quite some differences:

XOOPS uses Smarty templates, e-xoops doesn't
XOOPS has the nicest developers and the best community

There are more differences, but I haven't really gone into them. Smarty is a good enough reason for me not to go anywhere.

sol812
  • 2004/4/10 12:05

• sol812

• Just popping in

• Since: 2002/9/4 1

I have install the e-xoops 1 time but no like the TREE MENU in left side ( UGLY LOOK ) and also I not see any serious activity of upgrade the system in future , as I believe there is only 1 1/2 developer - ?

I did get good help in forum of e-xoops from community -
but I saw more professional activity on orginal Xoops.org webside and change my mind - later I find out I made the right choice so I stay here .....

I also best belive e-xoops people and the developer was better to merge back to XOOPS and work in 1 team -

but this is my private view - ( smile) but realistic

best regards
sol812

sud_crow
  • 2004/4/11 1:22

• sud_crow

• Just popping in

lol!

I see... hehe, i think i will have to make a thead over there and compear the differences with my personal experience with xoops...

Thanks for the input!

Anyway, i dont think i will change any time soon to anything else, as ive been working real hard with my site to have it as nice and custom as i want

sunsnapper

One big difference between the current version of Xoops, and earlier versions of XOOPS (like the one exoops is based on) is that for the current version, the developers made an exhaustive effort to reduce the number of SQL queries used to create a page.

Add to that, the current version of XOOPS uses a template cache system (Smarty) that further improves performance (if you turn it on) since it caches the results of the php and MySQL when a page is made, and doesn't need to pull on the database each time a new user requests the same material.

Between the two items, it's a huge benefit to performance.

I came to XOOPS based on it having the best performance I saw in the CMS I compared (and that was early, before exoops even existed... even then XOOPS was well coded for great performance). XOOPS has only improved since then, which shows the developers keep the right priorities and avoid the bloat that happens with so many projects.

But, some other pluses of XOOPS are the helpful community here and the ease of using XOOPS itself.

Plus, you've got to credit the developers for releasing solid code time after time.

Maybe exoops has something I don't know about to match this, but, I'm not aware of it.

sud_crow
  • 2004/4/11 5:06

• sud_crow

• Just popping in

Allright, that was insightfull thanks a lot.

Now that you name it, and maybe getting on the edge of the topic...

Do you recommend setting Smarty on??

Is there a wiki page about it and how to set the caches for best performance?? I really dont know how they work and dont seem to find something describing what i need.

Thanks.

davidl2
  • 2004/4/11 10:25

• davidl2

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/5/26

Cache levels are something that you have to judge by the nature of your own site really...

When set correctly, they can really make a difference to the performance. My site is fairly fast anyway - but when I played with the caches - it was even faster.

Basically if you have an area which is rarely updated - stick a long life on the cache.

If something needs to be updated quickly in a long cached section - you can always reset the cache briefly, and then set it back to a long life.

I didn't realise that blocks themselves can have caches until recently... this again can make quite a difference

kahumbu
  • 2004/4/11 13:06

• kahumbu

• Documentation Writer

• Since: 2003/8/23

Quote:

sud_crow wrote:
Do you recommend setting Smarty on??

Smarty is basically 'on' with the XOOPS installation. The next step would be to enable caching. Caching can be module wide (from Sys Ad > Prefs > Gen Settings) or block/template specific (from Sys Ad > Blocks > Edit a block).

Here's an example: For my site, I disabled comments for MyLinks. Since I usually put the new links, and approve all link submissions, I set module cache to 3 days. This would mean that once a page is called by a user, it stays in cache for 3 days. If I get a submission, or upload a new link, I just update the DB from Sys Ad > Prefs > Gen Settings, to refresh cache.

Note: if you have enabled comments in cached modules, it will not be shown until the cache is refreshed according to time specified. Users will notice a delay in the display of their comments. They might report a bug to you about this when it was just a cache issue.

Login

Who's Online

221 user(s) are online (141 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 221

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits