Maracas
Neomail vs. Horde vs. Squirrelmail
  • 2004/3/20 18:27

• Maracas

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/2/18

Okay, this may sound like a dumb question but which of these three would any of you consider to be the one to use? My Cpanel only gives me these three to use for webmail. I've always been a POP3 kind of guy letting everything come down into Outlook (went to Thunderbird recently), so I am not too up-to-date on web-based email other than whether I can dump email into my email client.

What I am doing is setting up web-based email accounts for family and a few close friends, that will be accessible from my site and will open into a full window through a javascript. And it doesn't matter whether any of them are ported into XOOPS already. (I had a few irritating problems with Sqmail for XOOPS so I abandoned that idea).

I know there are other email apps, but these are the three I must choose among. Any input would be most welcome. Thank you in advance.

Stewdio
Re: Neomail vs. Horde vs. Squirrelmail
  • 2004/3/20 18:39

• Stewdio

• Community Support Member

• Since: 2003/5/7 1

I have the same setup, and each of them have their strengths and weaknesses like any other script or software package you will find.

One nice thing about your setup is that all you need to do is give them the webmail address and let then decide individually which interface they want to use.

When users I have created an account for access my webmail front, they see all 3 choices and can switch between each however they see fit.

Just my 2 cents.

Maracas
  • 2004/3/20 18:47

• Maracas

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/2/18

Yes, that's precisely what happens when accessing my webmail front. They would see all three options. I thought that might be a bit confusing and that they might be put off by it, but you may be right in letting them choose.

If your users have had no problems with accessing the front end and choosing between the three, then maybe I was over-thinking the issue. Like I've never done THAT before! hehe

Stewdio
  • 2004/3/20 18:52

• Stewdio

• Community Support Member

• Since: 2003/5/7 1

lol, been there done that for sure

I think the major preference is Squirrelmail, at least thats what I prefer when I'm on the road away from own computers without pop3 access. (Too lazy to set up a new account on every computer I'm in contact with)

Unfortunately, there is no way to disable some, one or all of the mail fronts and use your own, unless you install your own script under a different subdomain and set it up yourself. A royal pain when it's right there in front of you already setup.

Cheers

YourHelp
  • 2004/3/21 4:30

• YourHelp

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/6/9 6

Squirrelmail. Last year i made some modifications to the module so that people could sign up for squirrelmail through the website thats something i need to get going on my latest development. For sure Squirrelmail is the way to go~

Login

Who's Online

233 user(s) are online (165 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 233

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits